CQB Entry Options + Class Review by 'Xsquidgater.'

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership CQB and Urban Operations CQB Entry Options + Class Review by 'Xsquidgater.'

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

This weekend at the Combat Patrol class, I was up at the UTM CQB hut site with Tommy, due to the students being in the patrol base. We got to discussing CQB and the potential for Tommy to teach a CQB weekend class sometime next summer when he gets his rotations worked out.

We discussed various methods of room entry and clearance and it was interesting that we are on the same sheet of music when it comes to ‘pieing’ the door, and attempting to clear as much of the room prior to entry, as possible. There are nuances here, and CQB is a depth topic, and some of it comes down to what is best to teach, in limited time, to students for if they have to do this stuff. It comes down to teaching what we think is the best technique to get the job done wile staying alive. CQB is a risky business.

Tommy is of the opinion that once the room is pied off by the lead guy, and now you have a guy on either side of the door, the best method for entering and ensuring the remaining 20% of the room, i.e. the two near corners (10% 10%) are clear, is to do the criss-cross method.

The criss-cross involves the lead guy, having crossed the doorway with a pie move, continuing into the room into the opposite corner from the side of the door he is now on. His buddy, at the original side of the door, immediately crosses his back as number one guy enters, and clears his opposite near corner. In training, number 2 guy has to drop his muzzle as number 1 guy crosses the threshold, but if you trust your team, then number 1 guy just passes across.

This has a lot of merit. It does involve timing and good footwork, because number 2 needs to be right up crossing behind number 1 as he enters, otherwise the near corner that number 1 guy is not clearing, may be a threat to his back.

The method I had settled on teaching at MVT involved the pie to get a guy on either side of the doorway, then a ‘pop’ as we tried to simultaneously get the two to pop left and right round the door jam and clear the 10% 10% near corners. This method falls down when 1) doorways are narrow and 2) students wear too much gear / large battle belts. So sometimes this involves a ‘pop’ in series rather than simultaneously and thus suffers the same disadvantage as the criss-cross.

The best solution may be to teach both. For example, the criss-cross may work best on a center fed room, but for a corner fed, one far corner (has already been ‘pied’ and thus the ability of one guy to ‘pop’ and clear the final 10% may be a good thing.

We will be able to teach more if we have a dedicated CQB training weekend.

Here is the review from Xsquidgater:

CQB Instruction Sept 30th, 2016- AAR ‘xsquidgator’

“CQB” was an excellent half-day block of instruction following the “Run ‘n Gun” event. As I expected from previous MVT classes I’d taken, this instruction wasn’t just learning pew-pew methods- it included “framing”, or placing the material in appropriate tactical context, and a learning progression which built bit by bit to the end result. The “framing” included a brief lecture on CQB concepts, particularly the “tactical clearance” method, and how and why it differs from some things you might see on tv or other places. After hearing it and seeing the methods demonstrated, we rehearsed it. This was followed by CQBing “Ivan” targets placed in the buildings, and finally for the rest of the session, facing opposing teams of defender students inside the buildings we were clearing. What a lesson that was!

I’m still sorting out and internalizing all the different lessons learned. Some of this material and many of the lessons can be found in Max’s book “Contact!” and in various blog posts he’s made. However, there’s a big difference between just reading something, and experiencing it and doing it under professional supervision. The use of the UTM “man marker” rounds adds an incredible amount of realism to the training. I have shot a lot of competition (e.g. Steel Challenge, IDPA, 3-Gun etc) and the MVT CQB training towers over competition shooting, worthy as that is. It really *does* make a difference how you approach a doorway to engage a target, if that target is going to shoot back at you! As worthwhile as competition shooting is, you can’t fully learn this important lesson in that setting. It’s sobering to consider that CQB is still dangerous, even if you’re doing it properly. Other instructors I’ve trained under have repeatedly made the point that you shouldn’t be trying to clear a building if you have the option of not having to do it. We definitely live in “interesting times” though, which comes with an increased liklihood that you might someday need this skillset to protect your family, and the police or professionals are busy elsewhere or are unavailable to provide it. If you just “wing it” vs getting some professional instruction in how to do it right, your chances of being able to protect your loved ones are that much poorer. I think it makes sense to as Max says, “train to win the fight!” while you hope it never comes. MVT is a place where you can get some serious training. The CQB training at MVT is well worth “getting off the couch for”!

ellobo
        Participant

I’m down for a cqb class. Or bringing back c3 class.

hellokitty
          Participant

:good:

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
            HEAT 2 (CP) X1
            FOF X3
            OPFOR X2
            CLC X2
            RIFLEMAN

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.