Corps Wants to Put Silencers on a Whole Infantry Battalion

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapon support and miscellaneous gear Corps Wants to Put Silencers on a Whole Infantry Battalion

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      trailman
      Participant

Interesting. If this takes hold service wide. Combine this with the Hearing Protection Act and we might see a wholesale revolution in the Silencer Industry.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/11/22/corps-put-silencers-whole-infantry-battalion.html

DiznNC
        Participant

Not seeing a problem with it.

trailman
          Participant

I’m not saying there is. Id consider this a good thing from a market perspective.

SeanT
            Keymaster

The article has a silly comment about the cost–700K for a battalion…
              For reusable gear that can be maintained, that is nothing compared to what one bomb run must cost.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The article has a silly comment about the cost–700K for a battalion…

Yea true ignorance.

A possible side benefit to this is it could help with “The Hearing Protection Act” which would remove suppressors from the NFA.

With the new political climate this could really help.

Sam Brady
                Participant

800.000 for one round for the ship-that-cant…..

BrigandActual
                  Participant

It goes to show you that as far as DoD priorities go, small arms is way far down the list compared to high dollar “Big Bang” projects.

It’s the nature of the acquisition system, performance reports of the officers involved, and budget cycles. It’s far easier to justify a big boom project as a capability gap than to justify incremental changes that congressionals think you already have and don’t really need.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…DoD priorities go…

They are testing a Battalion, which is good, lets wait and see what happens before we get too upset. ;-)

BrigandActual
                      Participant

…DoD priorities go…

They are testing a Battalion, which is good, lets wait and see what happens before we get too upset. ;-)

Oh, I’m not upset at all. Perhaps a little pessimistic, but I do think this is a positive experiment. I’m just referring to how the services view things like the relatively low cost of this versus a single $800k shot from the Navy’s wonder gun.

The Marines are better than most at focusing on the capability of the individual rifleman. But, ultimately, the bigger sexier projects will always win the funding. I say this as an Air Force guy who continually watched funding for nuclear weapons sustainment get siphoned off for newer whizbangs.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.