"Contact" cartoons

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership "Contact" cartoons

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Max. This post has been viewed 120 times
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

I stubble across some Army training simulations on YouTube and thought they provided a great visual aid to chapter 4 of Rapid Fire and chapter 5 of Contact. Enjoy…

Individual Movement Techniques & Fire Team Format…: http://youtu.be/kR8VLkzfbuU

Squad Movement Formations & Techniques: http://youtu.be/OKRues4Fwrk

Organization of a Basic Patrol and Establishing a…: http://youtu.be/4dcvwdEWyE4

Max
        Keymaster

These again? Not a fan. Particularly the one on patrol bases – I lay no claim to it illustrating any techniques from Contact or the Combat Patrol class: it is too basic and misses out vital techniques that I brought in from the British army, such as the initial hasty ambush. It also doesn’t cover any LUP considerations and FLIR terrain and vegetation masking.
          Coming on the actual Combat Patrol class will teach you the TTPs, not these darn FM videos. Where is the nuance and experience?

Max
          Keymaster

Apologies. When I saw these visualizations of the basic Army techniques I thought they would be a good enhancement to your books and would be taken for what they were, basic. I liked the sims because it is more suited to my visual learning style. Many times I have to reread something because I’ve glazed over after trying to absorb too much info and I felt they would have helped someone like me. But obviously watching this is no match to the experience gained from attending training with a qualifies instructor. If there is bad information contained in them, delete the post and get them the hell out of here. Although I thought they mirrored you literature pretty well but maybe I missed something.

Corvette
            Participant

While I of course agree w/ Max that they are flawed and should not be used as a primary training tool, I like to add this nuance, Max:

Anything that helps non mils visualize a process of that kind, might train them in visualizing small unit tactics where there may have little ability to visualize before.

As long as we understand they are sub optimal its a tool than can help those who have trouble visualizing movement and reacting.

The additions and changes you teach may be easier absorbed when folks feel they have absorbed some sense of tactical movement. :whistle:

Max
              Keymaster

While I of course agree w/ Max that they are flawed and should not be used as a primary training tool, I like to add this nuance, Max:

Anything that helps non mils visualize a process of that kind, might train them in visualizing small unit tactics where there may have little ability to visualize before.

As long as we understand they are sub optimal its a tool than can help those who have trouble visualizing movement and reacting.

The additions and changes you teach may be easier absorbed when folks feel they have absorbed some sense of tactical movement. :whistle:

Or how about they show up for training, and learn it like it should be from the start, without developing training scars?

Better?

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.