Community

View Latest Activity

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

One thing that drives me nuts when discussions of political alternatives comes up is the great focus on elaborate schemes/solutions. Usually these start as philosophical discussion (good) then sidetrack into some attempt at a step by step implementation (bad).

So why are these nitty gritty discussions bad?

You can have the greatest plan or cause known to man, but if you don’t have the clout to even propose it then it’s essentially a mental masturbation fantasy! ;-)

Are you positively known in your community?

If you ran for a local (or greater) office would you have a good showing, even if you lost?

Or are the only votes you got be from yourself, spouse, and uncle Bob? :unsure:

Many seem focused on building their “army” (CUTT), but have no infrastructure to support it.

Perhaps if you build your infrastructure, networks of people, and be established within your community you will be in a position to demonstrate a need to protect it in emergency situations?

If you have no idea on how to do this, perhaps the idea of “new founding father” isn’t a realistic option for you at this time! B-)

We can discuss some practical ideas of establishing this foundation, assuming you can put aside your plans for “world domination” for a bit. :yes:

AntMan
        Participant

Mainly because I don’t ever see more than a handful of people supporting me for local government, I think community can measured in other but equally important ways. This ties into the posts of the leader and the led. I don’t need a group of people around me to build me up to be the figurehead. I chose to focus on building a group of people that I have gone through adversity with that I can count on from things like heading down to the vtc for training, or moving furniture around houses.

2xcqbc
          1xclc

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This has nothing to do with getting elected, though that is one possible way to gain community recognition.

Gaining recognition has absolutely nothing to do with building you up.

The goal is to be a trusted and recognized part of your community.

Why is this necessary?

Let’s consider an “event” has occurred.

You ignored establishing yourself within your community. People tend to talk and people have seen you and your “group” decked out in battle rattle, they’ve heard the gunfire that goes far beyond the typical plinking coming from your property. There’s talk that you might be one of those doomsday prepper militia types! ;-)

So in response to this event a community meeting has been announced.

So you and your group show up; probably in matching camo since its the SHTF, trying to tell everyone how they need checkpoints, patrols, and send some recon teams to check out the surrounding communities.

Do you think they will listen? :wacko:

Consider in this version you have taken to heart becoming a known and trusted member of your community.

Sure not everyone knows you, but a typical answer when someone asks who’s that. Oh he coordinates that big food give away at that Church on CR27. They give out thousands of pounds of food weekly to needy families. Helped out a bunch of people when that last hurricane hit too. Coaches T-Ball at the rec center too. Him and bunch of his friends helped out when those wildfires broke out during the 2012 drought.

Just some random examples, but get the point?

Now let’s consider the same “event” and community meeting, but this time your trusted and you sell the same plan in a way that doesn’t sound kooky or add to their fears.

You and your “group” show up in location appropriate clothing, clean and professional looking. In fact you brought a pallet of bottled water and some emergency rations just in case anyone needs it.

People are nervous about this “event” and there’s a lot speculation. So when you get a chance to address meeting. You talk of pulling together to help each other, establishing some community watches to keep an eye on things til we know what’s really going on, maybe see about checking on the more isolated people, particularly the elderly. Might be a good idea to see if any of the surrounding communities have more information. As you are talking people are nodding their heads in agreement and a few whispered discussions of who you are by those who don’t know you.

Sure there is some dramatic license here, but I guarantee this can and will happen if your a known and trusted part of your community.

There are many ways to get to that point!

Smaller communities are easier.

Longtime generational ties can help. Volunteering and getting to know People, always ready to help. Run for office. Support candidates in tangible ways. Establish a non-profit to help those in need, invite community leaders to get some goodwill points being seen at your events. Never know when having a politicians ear maybe of use.

Just a few examples.

If you want to help steer the direction your community takes in whatever comes, you have to be known positively.

Otherwise your just some kook.

You can have the greatest plan or cause known to man, but if you don’t have the clout to even propose it then it’s essentially a mental masturbation fantasy!

Known and trusted people have clout!

Robert Henry
            Participant

Good points Joe!

It’s takes a ton of time and consistency to do this. Most especially in an area you weren’t born at. The “they ain’t from ‘roun here” label will follow you for years. Be friendly, help out, feed the homeless. I would say that being known (in a good way) to local LE and even some levels of local/county gubmint is helpful also.

Be the first to offer help and do not attempt to parlay that into power.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
              Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

AntMan
              Participant

Thanks for the clarification, that makes a lot of sense.

2xcqbc
                1xclc

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I would say that being known (in a good way) to local LE and even some levels of local/county gubmint is helpful also.

Exactly!

This community involvement has provided valuable Intel.

For the most part I know who are the good people, the dirtbags, and the bad guys.

Be the first to offer help and do not attempt to parlay that into power.

It’s about credibility and trust!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.