Home Forums Radio & Communication Combat Radio

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

OK radio geeks, I have a challenge for you:

Dumb this shit down. :good:

Why?

I’m going to ask you for a combat radio, citizen soldier, for the use of.

Background:

I want something simple. Scott and I are using the knock-off 152 radios, which are rugged and work well with military ancillaries. But I don’t know how to work it. Too fucking complicated, and I never had time to read the manual. I’m a dumb-ass.

I use the bubble-pack Midland radios at classes such as Texas. Brilliant. Turn it on, channel 1, talk. They don’t have gucci things like ear-pieces, but I know you can get that.

So what is the recommendation for an affordable, rugged, simple, combat radio?

I’m not talking any kind of crypto – I’m thinking veiled speech and code-words on the net. I know all about ‘ICOM chatter’ as I have experienced it, but to me that is down to education of the operator.

What can we get for the standard citizen solder that is going to be rugged, decent range, work well with some sort of ear-piece (even if its an ear-bud under your ear-pro, and not plugged in to it? Has a pressel that can be mounted on the chest, some kind of mic (throat or boom) that can be talked into, preferably on ‘whisper-mode’ if that is possible?

Anyone?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

A basic off the shelf solution would probably be GMRS Midland handhelds and augmented with GMRS Midland MicroMobile for additional range antenna options (or equivalent).

Given your limited direction and specifics.

Check out the links and ask questions.

Max
            Keymaster

I already use those at class, but open mike, no earpiece etc. One thing is these radios do weird stuff like ‘call’ and start making call noises etc. Weird non tactical noises. So is there a one up on this, or can that stuff be unprogrammed?

SeanT
            Keymaster

What you look for does not really exist. Radios are more or less ‘purpose built’ because they (in the US) need FCC “Type Acceptance” so that users stay in their frequency lane and do not cause harmful interference to licensed services. This is why it is hard to use a land mobile radio for HAM frequencies and why using complicated radios can get you around this sort of restriction. Consumer grade simple gear will not have the durability or the features you want and as you mentioned, have features you DON’T want. The radio you have can be programmed with software called CHIRP. It is essentially a software controlled radio on a computer board. Programming it from the keypad is torture unless you spend A LOT of time doing it.

I use a HAM type handheld that allows me to bootleg other places. It is a trade off on a lot of things, particularly the mic/ptt options.
              the real answer is understand your own gear to the point you can program it to talk to who you want to talk to which generally is the UHF and the VHF bands used by handhelds. This is why the Baofengs are so popular. They are cheap, frequency agile and computer programmable.

Max
                Keymaster

*fail* too complicated.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

There are a variety of earpieces and headsets available.

The use of the privacy code channels will filter out those call noises by other non-unit members if not on same privacy code. It wouldn’t be too difficult to disable unit radios call function features.

The specifics of disabling these features would depend on make model. The simplest way would be physically disabling call button.

Note the Midland MicroMobile radios could be used as a relatively lightweight backpack radio if needing to communicate with units at a greater distance or on any vehicles used. Remembering line of sight restrictions would still apply though some MicroMobile radios are repeater capable so this could be dealt with.

Again we are talking basic off the shelf options with minimal training required.

Other options are available but would require at least one unit member to program and provide initial setup and training for use.

For instance your Chicom current radios are essentially Boafeng radios with a military housing.

I will look for a true no frills model option.

Anonymous
                  Inactive

Not sure how relevant it is to Max, but the way we’d work our Hyteras and Baofengs was that there was someone in the brigade who would handle radios and would reprogram them with CHIRP or whatever with the current channels. If we needed to chat with another unit on a more private channel so we didn’t clutter up common channels we’d tell them over the radio “Go two up” or “Go three down” or whatever.

So maybe make sure you have a radio guy who can CHIRP the radios beforehand?

SeanT
                    Keymaster

^^^
                      There is no really easy button that meets the endless criteria it will be supposed to meet.

T
                      Participant

I am a radio idiot. Do handheld CBs qualify?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by T.
                        Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Do handheld CBs qualify?

I believe there is a place for CB radios in our capabilities, however CB handhelds drain batteries fast.

That said, I have a few.

Various atmospheric conditions greatly effect there use.

Base stations, vehicle use, and in a pinch backpack versions with SSB have a place. Post Event use with an amplifier (illegal pre-event) could extend useful range.

SeanT
                          Keymaster

What Joe Said
                            CB operates in the HF 26.9650 MHz to 27.4050 MHz(11M) range which is close to the HAM 10 meter band and sometimes HAM radios which can operate at 100 watts are used to bootleg on the CB freqs.

Basic hand held CB will crush the 8 AA batteries in it pretty quickly if you transmit
                            Best bet for CB is a model that can run SSB because you get 12 watts out but of course the recipient needs the same too. Radio is almost always about how well the antenna radiates and how sensitive the receiver are. Very sensitive receivers are nice but can get overloaded by strong signals.

In the last couple years, we have been at the solar minimum and that means using HF is a lot harder than when we are at solar maximum ( the 11 year solar cycle).
                            As one example , last Wednesday I tried to check in to a radio email net. The station I was trying to reach is 45 miles from me. I could not connect but I was able to connect to a different station 692 miles away with ease and use it as a relay. Such is the weirdness of HF propagation. This was in the 80 meter band (3.xx Mhz) in the evening which according to the ‘book’ should have been fine and plenty of other Wednesdays it is reasonably easy to connect.

Max
                            Keymaster

See, I made the mistake of posting in the radio and communications area, somewhere that I usually avoid like the plague! Why? Cuz you are all cleverer than fuck nerds! But it’s also why no one one has a sensitive combat comms plan.

I’ve watched this debate / subject go on forever, but what we really need is a simple solution. We literally need to be able to hand a radio to a citizen team, tell them what channel, and tell them to shut up on the net but listen for tactical direction.

I have an idea. Go run a maximum effort beep test, drink 2 pints of lager, then give me an answer on a simple combat radio. Anyone?

:yahoo:

trailman
                              Participant

I’m not saying this will fit your needs but I had this radio bookmarked on my Amazon list for a while after readign a review. I believe it was because it passed FCC Part 97 testing whereas the Baofengs did not, harmonics etc etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXC744C/?coliid=I22LVE30R6VZOT&colid=3S99PS6P1VZB4&psc=1&ref_=lv_vv_lig_dp_it

It looks to have everything you would need to get started right down to the programming cables. Your comm guy can program them all to a specific comm plan.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

See, I made the mistake of posting in the radio and communications area, somewhere that I usually avoid like the plague! Why? Cuz you are all cleverer than fuck nerds! But it’s also why no one one has a sensitive combat comms plan.

I understand completely what you want!

The PROBLEM is there is no off the shelf solution with out someone to adjust them.

You can bitch all you want, but that’s the fact!

In summary…

GMRS bubble pack handhelds are close, but have unnecessary features that need modification to eliminate if you can’t live with them.

The Baofeng BF-9700 7W UHF Radio ($30+/-) is probably as close as you will get to a IP67 basic radio to fit your requirements, but will need to be programmed by a computer. Once initial setup is made you can program individual radios at a rate of about 3 radios per minute until done.

Once programmed hand radio out, tell which of the 16 channels to monitor and point out channel, volume, and hi/lo transmit selectors.

If that is too difficult then you are shit out of luck. ;-)

AWS18
                                  Participant

I used these at the CLC last year with good results. Wanted something simple and inexpensive for now.

https://mid.factoryoutletstore.com/details/506710/midland-x-talker-t71vp3-2-radios-.html?category_id=35162&catalogitemid=458238

They aren’t IP67 or anything, but are “water resistant” and held up to the rain fine. They have different mic’s to fit your preference that use standard midland two prong connectors. I had no problem silencing the beeps and call noises. I attached a picture of the mic we used as well.

Attachments:
                                    You must be logged in to view attached files.

CQB 04/19
                                    Heat 1 06/19
                                    Heat 2 08/19
                                    CLC 10/19

Max
                                      Keymaster

I like it. We are talking ‘Grozny’ level comms plan here. We just need to be able to simply talk to each other.

Questions:

1) You had no trouble silencing the extraneous noises?
                                        2) Is there any mileage in an external lager antenna? Does it even come with those?
                                        3) Are there ‘privacy channels” and what the heck does that even mean?
                                        4 Experience with the various headsets? What did you use? Throat mike, boom mike, etc? How hard to mount / use the pressel switch?

AWS18
                                          Participant

1) No trouble silencing extra noises. The radio made no noise while transmitting or receiving.

2) I haven’t seen anything along the lines of an external antenna for it.

3) It has privacy channels. As Joe mentioned, it just filters what your radio receives and not what others are capable of hearing. More like a smart squelch feature.

4) We used boom mics. It sat off the ear enough to not give that feeling of only hearing out of one ear. The mic was nice when patrolling as it easily picked up whispers. They have the other type of mics, but I have not tried them yet. The wire for the mic was small and easy to run. The talk button on the mic wasn’t as large as I would have liked, but I still made due with gloves.

As you said, I just wanted something that would allow us to talk back and forth. I would like it if they had a better waterproof rating but it’s been fine in a pouch so far. I know this isn’t a bulletproof comms network but they’re cheap and easy to use.

CQB 04/19
                                            Heat 1 06/19
                                            Heat 2 08/19
                                            CLC 10/19

SeanT
                                        Keymaster

I’m not saying this will fit your needs but I had this radio bookmarked on my Amazon list for a while after readign a review.

the most important part is this:
                                          VHF: 136~174 MHz, UHF: 400~520 MHz.
                                          The transmit frequency range(s)

You can pick 10 or more different radios based on features, if they all have this range to transmit, they can talk to each other. The problem generally is that you will either be on ‘crowded’ public freqs ( like bubble pack which are UHF) or down in VHF licensed freqs where you could possibly interfere with a legitimate licensee like a trucking company, or cabs or whatever. They hold the license in whatever area for that freq. if an unlicensed user causes harmful interference, that is when the major nerds in the white van with notices of forfeiture show up knocking.
                                          here is the FCC Band Plan
                                          Mah head assplode!!!!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…major nerds in the white van with notices of forfeiture show up…

That’s why I recommend staying with FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies for training Pre-Event.

Post-Event it will no longer matter. :yes:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

During my military career we always had at least one Comms guy, regardless of how small the Unit was.

Our situation is no different. B-)

Max
                                                Keymaster

‘Comms guy’ will be filling sandbags if he insists on making this complicated.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Nothing complicated!

Choose GMRS bubble pack or the BF-9700.

2) Is there any mileage in an external lager antenna? Does it even come with those?

No bubble pack FRS legal handheld has removable antennas. The above mentioned BF-9700 does.

3) Are there ‘privacy channels” and what the heck does that even mean?

It filters what you hear, not what you transmit. No privacy code selected them you hear everything within range, with privacy code you hear only tbose with that setting selected.

It doesn’t prevent anyone from hearing you, just what you hear.

Brushpopper
                                                  Participant

LOL, I too are dumb and I need a 3 or 6 pints after reading this……….. ;-)

JC
                                                    Participant

“’Comms guy’ will be filling sandbags if he insists on making this complicated.”

LOL – you’re cracking me up Max.

I’m a HAM operator, but I totally get what you’re saying. Most radios get complicated fast, and I have friends who need a primer every time they turn the damn thing on.

As already suggested, I think old school CB’s are a simple solution. They have been around forever. If truckers and old ladies can use them, anyone can! They are channelized with 40 channels to pick from. They have 4 watts of power, which is decent power for a handheld (Family Radio Service (FRS) only has .5 watts). To be sure there are CB radios that have lots of features, but there are simple hand-held radios too. Turn them on, pick a channel and go! With some comm discipline, code words, and channel hopping you can make it more difficult to follow your comms.

And if you do want to get complicated you can get your comms guy to set up a base station or mobile rig with a power amplifier to boost the power up to 100 watts or beyond (illegal but many do it). And the 27 MHz frequency can do atmospheric skip under the right conditions.

Local truck stops usually have a selection of CB radios, or shop the flee markets!

4nr
                                                      Participant

Maybe not “legal” but greater than 20 miles from commercially traveled navigable waters most Marine band radios meet all your requirements.

farmer
                                                        Participant

Max, also try Commsprepper. He has email, twitter,Instagram, & probably a cell phone. This stuff is his major hobby. He has a Youtube channel dedicated to it. (Commsprepper).

JustARandomGuy
                                                          Participant

The Baofeng BF-9700 7W UHF Radio ($30+/-) is probably as close as you will get to a IP67 basic radio to fit your requirements, but will need to be programmed by a computer. Once initial setup is made you can program individual radios at a rate of about 3 radios per minute until done.

Once programmed hand radio out, tell which of the 16 channels to monitor and point out channel, volume, and hi/lo transmit selectors.

If that is too difficult then you are shit out of luck.

Joe;
                                                            That looks like a Motorola plug-in on the side? Can this use Motorola accessories?
                                                            Does it require some sort of online download or program to program? Doesn’t say on the website.
                                                            Also, some of the reviews on amazon say this is a 5W radio not 7W. Are there different versions, or just typical chinese over-advertising?

First Sergeant

Typical O, need an RTO or NCO to hand you the radio ready to go and then tell you not to fucking touch it except to transmit. ;-)

FILO
                                                              Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                                              Je ne regrette rien
                                                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Max
                                                                Keymaster

Was waiting for you to transmit…. B-)

I’m down to flags at this point.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

That looks like a Motorola plug-in on the side? Can this use Motorola accessories?

Similar setup, but it’s proprietary to Baofeng. The proper accessories are reasonably priced.

Does it require some sort of online download or program to program?

You can download either Baofeng or CHIRP software for free. Some people have problems with Baofeng software, but I have had no problems. Once you build a profile you can program radios very quickly, it would be easy to have different profiles for different missions and change radios if needed.

Also, some of the reviews on amazon say this is a 5W radio not 7W. Are there different versions, or just typical chinese over-advertising?

In my experience Amazon combine some reviews with similar products; probably a software glitch, but if you read the fine print and verify model numbers you get what you want. Similar comments were made about my UV-5RTP test radios and they are tripower.

Typical O, need an RTO or NCO to hand you the radio ready to go and then tell you not to fucking touch it except to transmit. ;-)

:yes:

Yea something’s are universal regardless of Country of origin. B-)

Max
                                                                  Keymaster

Yea something’s are universal regardless of Country of origin.

‘Comms guys’ failing to deliver the solution on all levels. Just can’t help but make it complicated as fuck…. B-)

JohnnyMac
                                                                    Participant

I’ve had years-worth of service from a small fleet of Baofeng GT3-WP. It’s a ruggedized/water resistant model of the UV5R. I can’t say the same for some of the other Baofengs. These radios have survived many training days at the VTC, including sometimes being handed off to someone without a radio.

I’m experimenting with digital radios, but they’re kind of complicated and the likelihood of other allies having them are small. They can still be used on simplex though. Jury is still out on these.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by JohnnyMac.
                                                                      JC
                                                                      Participant

But if your goal is “idiot simple”, Baofeng’s are not the way to go. They are as ‘complicated’ as any other HAM radio.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                        Moderator

But if your goal is “idiot simple”, Baofeng’s are not the way to go. They are as ‘complicated’ as any other HAM radio.

This is true with the typically encountered Baofeng, however the ones without any keypads are not. They are not programmable without a computer. So once setup they are good to go as they can not be accidentally changed.

• #142281
                                                                          SeanT
                                                                          Keymaster

Max, also try Commsprepper. He has email, twitter,Instagram, & probably a cell phone. This stuff is his major hobby. He has a Youtube channel dedicated to it. (Commsprepper).

We have had CommsPrepper up at VTC a few times. He is currently OCONUS.He is a personal friend of mine.

• #142284
                                                                            SeanT
                                                                            Keymaster

Maybe not “legal” but greater than 20 miles from commercially traveled navigable waters most Marine band radios meet all your requirements.

These are channelized VHF radios, generally water resistant to some degree, a lot float ( imagine that…). not likely to support external Mic or earpieces.

• #142285
                                                                              SeanT
                                                                              Keymaster

This is why the keypad lock is employed !!!

• #142286
                                                                                JustARandomGuy
                                                                                Participant

I think what’s happening here is Max is having a flashback of nostalgia for something like this;

www[DOT]cryptomuseum[DOT]com/radio/selex/prr/index.htm

;-)

Of course it only has a 500 meter range, and rare, so…bummer, cuz I thought they were pretty cool for a super-simple squad radio.

• #142290
                                                                                  Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                  Moderator

I’m down to flags at this point.

I’ve been carrying this Storm whistle for the last 30+ years. Simple redundancy and it always works!

Attachments:
                                                                                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                                                                  • #142383
                                                                                    JC
                                                                                    Participant

Joe (GWNS) Wrote:
                                                                                      This is true with the typically encountered Baofeng, however the ones without any keypads are not. They are not programmable without a computer. So once setup they are good to go as they can not be accidentally changed.

Good to know – thanks.

• #142410
                                                                                      osozorro
                                                                                      Participant

I too have been searching for the solution @Max is requesting. I’m interested in the The Baofeng BF-9700 7W UHF Radio. Seems to be on the right track. Not too many buttons for this grunt. :good:

Are the 16 channels legal pre boogaloo? :unsure:

Is there anyone in the MVT world who is able/willing to do the required programming? It would be ideal if MVT folks were all on the same program. Meaning if I’m going to a MVT class I can pack my radio and Max tell me channel 1 and I’m good to go. Similarly I could do the same thing locally. I’m thinking someone with the required programming skills open up shop of MVT approved pre-programmed radios. A kit with a pre-programmed radio, charger, antenna, mic and earpiece for the price of $____ (including a programming fee and shipping). Prepaid to programmer. This would be invaluable. I would be up for 4! :yes:

• #142415
                                                                                        trailman
                                                                                        Participant

Reading through this, note, the Baofeng BF-9700 are UHF only, Amazon advertises them as dual band and that twigs most of us to VHF/UHF but actually the other band is the FM band 65MHz-108MHz. So you can talk to your short range battle buddies and later in the evening listen to Nights with Alice Cooper. No VHF capability.

• #142416
                                                                                          Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                          Moderator

Are the 16 channels legal pre boogaloo?

Legality?

To stay “legal” you have basically two choices get a Amateur Radio license and operate by those regulations or operate FRS/GMRS/MURS/CB certified radios remembering GMRS requires a licence (no test just formality).

That said many never get the GMRS licence, much like many never got the CB radio licence which was why people used “handles” vice names. Eventually leading to no licence for CB required in 1983.

Many operate non-certified Baofengs on FRS/GMRS/MURS. Assuming operation at least close to the restrictions placed on FRS/GMRS/MURS, these operators seem to get by just fine. I know of no real efforts to track down these users.

Operating without licence on Amateur Radio Bands will get noticed very fast as a segment of HAM operators are obsessed with finding and reporting such use regardless of true interference.

Illegal use on Commercial or Government Bands that cause interference will be investigated by FCC.

Operating the Baofeng BF-9700 on FRS/GMRS frequencies would not be within the spirit of the Regulations. Remembering the Regulations have the force of Law.

• #142421
                                                                                            osozorro
                                                                                            Participant

*fail* too complicated.

:scratch: :wacko: :negative:

Many operate non-certified Baofengs on FRS/GMRS/MURS. Assuming operation at least close to the restrictions placed on FRS/GMRS/MURS, these operators seem to get by just fine. I know of no real efforts to track down these users.

Is there anyone in the MVT world who is able/willing to do the required programming? It would be ideal if MVT folks were all on the same program. Meaning if I’m going to a MVT class I can pack my radio and Max tell me channel 1 and I’m good to go. Similarly I could do the same thing locally. I’m thinking someone with the required programming skills could open up shop of MVT approved (civilian unlicensed) pre-programmed radios. A kit with a pre-programmed radio, charger, antenna, mic and earpiece for the price of $____ (including a programming fee and shipping). Prepaid to programmer. This would be invaluable. I would be up for 4!

• #142424
                                                                                              osozorro
                                                                                              Participant

Can anyone speak to FRS/GMRS/MURS? Pros? Cons?

Give Max a recommendation of best system for the BASIC USE he’s requested.

Give Max a recommendation of a BASIC (no keypad) non-certified Baofeng that could be used in this capacity.

• #142426
                                                                                                  Max
                                                                                                  Keymaster

Yep. ‘Comms Guys’ failing on every level here. Unable to stop themselves turning it into a complicated fuck-fest. Still waiting for my simple solution. :cry: :unsure:

• #142427
                                                                                                      Max
                                                                                                      Keymaster

Of course, anything useful in this thread has been overwhelmed by static interference…..

…may just delete and ask the question again, maybe we can unfuck ourselves for a do-over?

• #142432
                                                                                                    Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                                    Moderator

Still waiting for my simple solution.

Just as there is more to SUT than having a rifle, Comms is more than a radio.

You have the information, you just have to choose one.

There is nothing more to discuss.

• #142437
                                                                                                      Max
                                                                                                      Keymaster

Thread abandoned.

• #142671
                                                                                                        Spencer
                                                                                                        Participant

Seriously though, this has been a hilarious thread, thanks! :yahoo: The other thread looks more productive though, stick with it, we’ll get a solution.

DCH 10/2019
                                                                                                          H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

• #142703
                                                                                                          BILLY
                                                                                                          Participant

The simple solution is as follows…. max, ask the group to write a chirp for your baofeng radio. Someone hoping to get brownie points will happily do so. Plug one of the many compatible baofeng radios ( some with lots of buttons some with less buttons) into a computer and click “yes” (or something similarly simple). Then share chirp with forum and everyone is then able to use mvt standard radio setup

• #152236
                                                                                                            CommsPrepper
                                                                                                            Participant

I will take a shot at this topic. After reading Max’s requirements at the top of this thread the radio I would recommend is the license-free Motorola RMM2050 (Multi-Use Radio Service) MURS radio.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/motorola-rmm2050.html

Here is why I think this radio meets the basic requirements.

1. No license required (Wikipedia – The FCC formally defines MURS as “a private, two-way, short-distance voice or data communications service for personal or business activities of the general public.)

2. Cost – around $190. And before anyone chimes in about those piece of shit China radios remind yourself what you pay for the other parts of your kit.

3. Quality – The materials and construction used in Motorola’s production lines far exceeds that of the shity China radios.

4. Simplicity – 5 channels, speaker, mic, push to talk and on/off-volume knob. No displays, lights, beeps, chirps, or programming.

5. Accessories – This radio has a wide range of decent accessories (speaker mics, surveillance kits, and headsets).

6. Legal – This radio is type-accepted (approved) by the FCC for use in the Multi-Use Radio Service. I’m sure there are folks that will say “you can program radio XYZ to run on FRS, GMRS, etc… but that does not make it legal. MURS and GMRS radios must have FCC Part 95 approval for use. While FCC Part 90 (Amateur/Ham) radios can be modified/programmed to operate in GMRS/FRS/MURS radio service, it’s illegal to do so.

7. The RMM2050 is not a piece of shit china radio….

CommsPrepper

Viewing 43 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.