Combat Radio Second Attempt

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Radio & Communication Combat Radio Second Attempt

• This topic has 109 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 4 days ago by D Close. This post has been viewed 3167 times
Viewing 101 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

I am abandoning the previous thread. Let’s give this another try. Several of you are not helping. We are looking for simple solutions.

Here is the requirement I posted:

I’m going to ask you for a combat radio, citizen soldier, for the use of.

Background:

I want something simple. Scott and I are using the knock-off 152 radios, which are rugged and work well with military ancillaries. But I don’t know how to work it. Too fucking complicated, and I never had time to read the manual. I’m a dumb-ass.

I use the bubble-pack Midland radios at classes such as Texas. Brilliant. Turn it on, channel 1, talk. They don’t have gucci things like ear-pieces, but I know you can get that. They do have extraneous untactical noises etc.

So what is the recommendation for an affordable, rugged, simple, combat radio?

I’m not talking any kind of crypto – I’m thinking veiled speech and code-words on the net. I know all about ‘ICOM chatter’ as I have experienced it, but to me that is down to education of the operator.

What can we get for the standard citizen solder that is going to be rugged, decent range, work well with some sort of ear-piece (even if its an ear-bud under your ear-pro, and not plugged in to it? Has a pressel that can be mounted on the chest, some kind of mic (throat or boom) that can be talked into, preferably on ‘whisper-mode’ if that is possible?

Anyone?

Max
        Keymaster

So, are we all sulking? No responses? What is a shame, is that this commbat radio thread could have been a perfect opportunity for the various self-styled ‘comms guys’ to break it down, educate and instruct. Instead, it became the usual exercise in complicated. Very dissappointing.

This is why we can’t have nice things. Simple task, recommend a simple radio best for the use of guys without support, as described.

I guess the best thing that came out of it was AWS18’s recommendation for the Midland. Guess I’m going with that.

Fuckers.

Max
          Keymaster

@AWS18 – what was the specific reason you went for this midland model vs the other ones avilable? Midland X-TALKER T71VP3

You stated you use the boom mike?

Tony S
            Participant

For the record I’m not really a comm guy (despite having ham license) although I’m trying to learn more which is the whole reason I went and got my ham license. Also I haven’t played with the proposed equipment below to see if it has extraneous non-tactical noises, or to see if other vendors headsets/mics work well with it. But I’m tossing it out there anyway:

Radioddity R2
              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5V7DN4

Power: 2w (this is low and plays into the next issue, Range)
              Range: terrain dependent, but from top of hill no better than 5 miles, realistically in valleys, hollows, forested environment probably only 1-2 miles.
              Frequencies: it comes pre-programmed with certain frequencies (16 presets), but has the option to be changed by ‘comm guys’ since it requires hooking up to a computer to do. On the plus side this means it gets programmed and handed out and no hamfisted grunts can mess it up. On the negative side this requires ‘comm guys’ to make changes and/or people to learn how to do it in case changing of frequencies is a foreseen need.
              Buttons: none, just knobs to switch volume and between pre-programmed channels.
              Security: none really, it has what it calls ‘privacy’ but it’s minimal obscuring at best and nothing any field sigint shop couldn’t bypass.
              Antenna: technically since it’s a removable antenna you could swap it out for a ‘better’ (e.g. longer) one, however given that it’s only a 2w handset I don’t think (based on theory not experience) that putting a better antenna on the unit is going to increase the range by any noticeable amount.
              Accessories: given the difference between the mic and headphone jack sizes and the specific spacing, I don’t know if other options beyond the Radioddity provided earpiece (or similar products from the vendor) would work ‘out of the box’. Obviously people with the background in electronics could likely make anything work given time and tools, but it may not be possible to use preferred mic/headsets. This would have to be experimented with with an actual unit.
              Ruggedness: Unknown personally, but several of the reviewers on Amazon made mention that it’s fairly rugged

If you want, since it’s only $30, I’ll buy a pair and bring them to HEAT 1 in March and we can try them out with accessories and the like and see how bad the non-tactical sounds are and if there are ways to turn them off.

JohnnyMac
              Participant

Baofengs gt3wp

Cheap, waterproof, rugged, easy to get, any Joe can press the numbers to get a freq in. Press and hold the lock key so it doesn’t change while in a pouch. You can get earpiece mics, box type ptts that allows earpiece to plug in, uses same aftermarket antenna as other Baofengs.

Only downside is they don’t use the standard 2 pin connector (that connector isn’t waterproof)

Max
                  Keymaster

Baofeng looks good. Waterproof is a plus. Fact that it won’t run on AA batts is a negative.

What puts the Baofeng above the Midland?

JohnnyMac
                  Participant

Baofeng looks good. Waterproof is a plus. Fact that it won’t run on AA batts is a negative.

Keep in mind, I’m not a “commo guy”, but they have more power, have antenna options (Midland has only the out of the box option I assume) and more freq range.

Anonymous
                    Inactive

The good thing about Baofeng is that there’s a large user base, not sure about that model but I can easily get AA and AAA adapter packs for my UV-5R.

Max
                      Keymaster

How about MURS? Specifically the Motorola mentioned in this review:

https://survivalmag.net/best-murs-radio/

seems well protected at ‘military grade’ and doesn’t even have a screen! Wondering about ancils such as headset….

osozorro
                        Participant

Is sold with ptt ear pieces.

4 Pack of Motorola RMM2050 Radios with 4 Push to Talk (PTT) earpieces. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J0BUZP4/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_b3QyEbNSHPSKG

osozorro
                          Participant
                            Max
                            Keymaster

If we could just nail this down into what may become an MVT standard radio, which could be used across Team Rekkr, that would be excellent.

Mike
                              Participant

The baofeng uv5r seem to be popular, its affordable, you can get different mics, ear pieces, antennas, aa battery pack option. You are going to have to read the manual to program or you can use chip program on computer to program radio.

Mike
                                Participant

I thought there was a comms guy on here, I remember seeing a youtube video he did at a vtc class.

AWS18
                                  Participant

The primary reason I went with that one was for it’s long battery life. The website states “up to 15 hours” of battery life. Not sure what kind of testing that number was determined from, but I always had a lot of battery left over after using it for the day during the CLC.

A similar option was this one. I believe it had a little bit better water resistance rating.
                                    https://mid.factoryoutletstore.com/details/58355/midland-gxt1000vp4-2-pk.html?category_id=94649&catalogitemid=55548

I used a boom mic the whole time with good results. It’s available from the Midland factory outlet site above along with other types of mics.

CQB 04/19
                                    Heat 1 06/19
                                    Heat 2 08/19
                                    CLC 10/19

AWS18
                                    Participant

@JohnnyMac is it possible to silence the call sounds and beeps on the GT3WP?

CQB 04/19
                                      Heat 1 06/19
                                      Heat 2 08/19
                                      CLC 10/19

noahjones
                                      Participant

I’ve been experimenting with radios for little over a year now. I own the Baofang UV-5R, and it’s “waterproof” counterpart the UV-9R. Along with these I own a pair of the Midland GXT1000. The Baofangs outclass the Midland due to after market customization and wider range of use.You can purchase Spare battery’s and yes you can buy ones that take AA with the Baofang UV-5R. The UV-9R was a disappointment I dowsed it with a hose for a solid 5 mins and it was jsut fine. But when you try to attach any Cords to the side you loose all the waterproof ability,the cords don’t sit flush with the radio. I know there are some people using Baofangs with military comms by purchasing amplified U-94 PTTs, haven’t seen any people trying this with the midlands. And once I get my hands on a pair of comtac 3s I will update if the Baofang works. I think the UV-5R is easily our best bet and for under 30 dollars it won’t kill us. :good: .

BILLY
                                        Participant

One of the many benefits of the baofeng is that the channels are wide open. You can talk on MURS freqs and can listen to pretty much everything. I’d say if you did a gear check at any class, anyone with a radio would most likely be running a baofeng. The nice thing in regards to creating an mvt consistent radio setup is that there are programs that can be shared with teammates to instantly program radios so they all are set up the same. I also have an adapter so I can run my comtacs and my ops core headsets using a 3m military type PTT

noahjones
                                            Participant

“I also have an adapter so I can run my comtacs and my ops core headsets using a 3m military type PTT”

Hey billy what PTT are you using can you provide a link? I’m interested in getting one.

BILLY
                                            Participant
                                              JohnnyMac
                                              Participant

@JohnnyMac is it possible to silence the call sounds and beeps on the GT3WP?

Yes, it’s in the menu options, along with turning off the backlight.

The ONLY downside to the model is it’s unique ptt connector, it’s the trade-off for higher durability while maintaining low cost. You can’t have it all at ~$36.

I have three, and all three have survived hard use. I can’t say the same for other Baofeng models (UV5R, UV82).

riflemaniv
                                                Participant

I think you can get custom made PTTs here: https://disco32.com/

Spencer
                                                  Participant

…or you can use chip program on computer to program radio.

I know most people would find it by searching, but just to clarify the program is called “Chirp.”

I’ve had the Baofeng UV-5R for a few years also, it’s far better than it should be for the price. We can theorize as to why. It’s cheap enough that almost everyone could have a spare in case it wasn’t water-proof enough.

I did have to pop it open once and do a solder-bridge across the speaker connection on the circuit board because inserting the programming cable broke my PTT switch, but I think they’ve fixed that now.

It would be cool to incorporate radio comms into the training.

DCH 10/2019
                                                    H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

DiznNC
                                                    Participant

The problem with finding the radio you want, is very similar to trying to find a no-shit wind up combat watch; virtually non-existent. We have been over-taken by the digital era.

We roll with the UV-8D, which is fairly easy to use. It has both re-chargeable and AA batt packs available, as well as accessories, such as ear buds with PTT mikes. We also had our GI PTT’s modified to take the two-pin jacks, to work with our Peltors, when running helmets. You can also buy antennae extension wires, to run antennas on the back of your PC.

Although they can be programmed to be complex, that’s not something we have delved into. We simply run them on a set channel and go.

They are reasonably robust but also cheap enough to be readily replaceable.

I would submit something like this is as close to what you want, as you will probably get. There are even newer models and/or cheaper models of this type radio available.

Hope this helps?

Max
                                                      Keymaster

Time to summarize and try to nail this down.

So far we have had recommendations for:

Midland
                                                        Various Baofeng
                                                        MURS (Motorola)

Baofeng recs include:

GT3WP https://www.radioddity.com/products/baofeng-gt-3wp-waterproof-dual-band-two-way-radio
                                                        UV-5R – is this available?
                                                        UV-8D – is this available?

(If you recommend a radio, please ensure it is available to purchase an provide a link to review).

I am also seeing this about the Baofeng: “One of the many benefits of the baofeng is that the channels are wide open. You can talk on MURS freqs and can listen to pretty much everything.”

Thus, RFIs:

1) Is there an advantage of MURS over VHF? MURS being UHF?

2) Are these Baofengs that can operate on MURS approved MURS devices like the Motorola MURS radios, or would we be illegally using them?

3) Of the various recommended Baofengs, can anyone do a comparison of them and which is the best for purpose? What criteria could we best uses for that. Suggestions:

– Range.
                                                        – Frequencies available (MURS?).
                                                        – Ruggedness / waterproofness.
                                                        – Availability of ancillaries / potential use with militarily ancillaries.
                                                        – Variation for use with alternative battery packs / AA batteries.
                                                        – Simplicity of operation vice ‘programming.’

If we can conduct a good estimate on this, we may be able to get close to an MVT recommended radio / inter- operability.

Max
                                                        Keymaster

In researching the GT-3WP, it appears there are issues buying spare batteries? Dies this radio go into MURS frequencies?

hellokitty
                                                          Participant
                                                            Joe (G.W.N.S.)

1) Is there an advantage of MURS over VHF? MURS being UHF?

MURS is VHF on 151.82 MHz (MURS 1), 151.88 MHz (MURS 2), 151.94 MHz (MURS 3), 154.57 MHz (Blue Dot), 154.60 MHz (Green Dot).

In theory VHF is better in the wooded areas, UHF is better in Urban.

2) Are these Baofengs that can operate on MURS approved MURS devices like the Motorola MURS radios, or would we be illegally using them?

No, Baofengs are not MURS certified.

Max
                                                              Keymaster

No, Baofengs are not MURS certified.

Are all of the Baofengs listed above able to operate on MURS freqs or only some of them? Is there an advantage in being able to do so? Less traffic etc?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Dualband Baofengs are VHF/UHF such as the UV-5R, UV-9R, GT-3WP.

Singleband Baofengs are VHF or UHF, such as the Baofeng BF-9700 7W UHF.

VHF is MURS.

UHF is FRS/GMRS.

Max
                                                                    Keymaster

OK, great. That is clear.

I am reading on the GT-3WP that: “If you want to buy the programming cable, you may search ASIN B01HRMTG1W. Programming software/ZCd0Xv.”

Can anyone please explain why we need the programming cable? When you turn this thing on, does it not already allow you to choose channels?

Also, where is the info CEI on what channels correspond with the usual channels such as GMRS Channel 1 etc?

Is that what the programming is for?

What about the CHIRP? What is that?

Perfect chance to comms guys to educate us savages in slow speak. Thank you.

What radio of these do the ‘comms guys’ recommend? And why?

JohnnyMac
                                                                    Participant

Can anyone please explain why we need the programming cable? When you turn this thing on, does it not already allow you to choose channels?

It does, the cable shows you to type channel freqs into CHIRP, and then quickly load onto multiple radios. It’s just convenience.

CHIRP is software on the computer, it basically has lists, you type in the channel freqs you want programmed in, plug in the radio, click a “copy” type button (I forget the exact name) and the software programs your list into a radio. It saves a bunch of time

JohnnyMac
                                                                      Participant

Cable allows*, not shows (typo on my phone)

JohnnyMac
                                                                        Participant

I’ve been messing with a TYT MD-390, it appears quite robust but it hasn’t seen field conditions yet.

• #142905
                                                                          SeanT
                                                                          Keymaster

How about MURS? Specifically the Motorola mentioned in this review:

https://survivalmag.net/best-murs-radio/

seems well protected at ‘military grade’ and doesn’t even have a screen! Wondering about ancils such as headset….

About 200 bux each
                                                                            You get the 5 MURS VHF channels
                                                                            That’s about it, think job site radio. No earpiece or speaker mic capable. Extra loud on purpose. I think they are 2 watts which limits range capability.

• #142907
                                                                            Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                            Moderator

The handheld radios that have keypads can be programmed without cable and software. However many find it somewhat tedious.

If you are only operating on a handful of channels this is an option. Many get overly complicated regarding this, just because a radio is capable of having a 128 channels (typical Baofeng dualband) doesn’t mean you need anywhere near that.

Also, where is the info CEI on what channels correspond with the usual channels such as GMRS Channel 1 etc?

FRS/GMRS combined channel chart click here.

What about the CHIRP? What is that?

CHIRP is a free, open-source tool for programming your amateur radio. It supports a large number of manufacturers and models, as well as provides a way to interface with multiple data sources and formats.

The free Baofeng software is adequate in my opinion. In some cases it is necessary to modify limitations.

The biggest issue for some with Baofeng software is it will generally come up in Chinese which freaks some people out. There is a dropdown menu that changes it to English. Lastly some HAM types have been using CHIRP and are set in there ways.

• #142908
                                                                              SeanT
                                                                              Keymaster

It does, the cable shows you to type channel freqs into CHIRP, and then quickly load onto multiple radios. It’s just convenience.

CHIRP is software on the computer, it basically has lists, you type in the channel freqs you want programmed in, plug in the radio, click a “copy” type button (I forget the exact name) and the software programs your list into a radio. It saves a bunch of time

This is a frequency agile radio which means it doesn’t really have channels. You have to choose them and set the radio into ‘channel mode’ and lock it there. It has the capability to ‘use’ FRS channel 1 and if you program it into channel one’s spot using the chirp software and the programming cable. It also can be programmed for all 5 MURS channels but you have to do it , again using the cable and the software. The utility of chirp and a cable is that you define one set of channels, configure all the settings as you want them, and then you can push that same set of defined channels to many radios reasonably simply. It is called cloning.

Remember, I can and have talked to you on your bubble pack radio with my ‘other type’ of radio because I programmed my radio with CHIRP and a cable to be able to do so. Channels are simply a single frequency and you can program any frequency the radio can transmit on into any channel ‘slot’.

• #142911
                                                                                SeanT
                                                                                Keymaster
                                                                                • #142912
                                                                                  Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                  Moderator

No earpiece or speaker mic capable. Extra loud on purpose.

The Motorola RMM2050 can use the Swivel Earpiece With In-Line Microphone and PTT ($35) and Ultra-Lightweight Temple Transducer Headset ($79).

Motorola two pin capable.

• #142923
                                                                                    trailman
                                                                                    Participant

The biggest issue for some with Baofeng software is it will generally come up in Chinese which freaks some people out. There is a dropdown menu that changes it to English. Lastly some HAM types have been using CHIRP and are set in there ways.

So I’ll chime in. We use CHIRP because it can work over multiple radio manufacturers. I can download my Baofeng make a slight alteration and upload the same comm plan to my Yaesu handheld. That way channels 1 through how many will talk to each other regardless of the radio.

VHF is MURS. UHF is FRS/GMRS. This is incorrect, MURS OPERATES in the VHF band and FRS/GMRS OPERATES in the UHF bands. If you get MURS radio you will be limited to a fixed number of channels that operate on a set of frequencies. Same with FRS/GMRS. See the cut and paste below. The thing is with a Baofeng and like radios is they are open radios and can transmit on the entire frequency range not just on limited channels. You get flexibility.

While you are practicing whatever you can use those “channels” and everyone on them can hear what you are doing,

When you need to you can reprogram OFF channel and the bubbas with the bubble packs and MURS etc will not hear you. The various Baofengs are pretty damn easy to use. In channel mode you just up or down the arrow or enter the channel # directly with the keypad then lock the radio. You are going to have a comm plan, a set number of channels and there will always be a guy that can do the upload. Push comes to shove its also pretty simple to program the radio by hand if needed.

MURS
                                                                                      Channel Frequency MHz

1 151.820
                                                                                      2 151.880
                                                                                      3 151.940
                                                                                      4 154.570 Blue Dot
                                                                                      5 154.600 Green Dot

FRS Frequencies
                                                                                      Per the official FCC website, here are the fourteen FRS channels.

462.5625
                                                                                      462.5875
                                                                                      462.6125
                                                                                      462.6375
                                                                                      462.6625
                                                                                      462.6875
                                                                                      462.7125
                                                                                      467.5625
                                                                                      467.5875
                                                                                      467.6125
                                                                                      467.6375
                                                                                      467.6625
                                                                                      467.6875
                                                                                      467.7125

GMRS Frequencies
                                                                                      Per the official FCC website, here are the 23 GMRS channels.

462.5500
                                                                                      462.5625
                                                                                      462.5750
                                                                                      462.5875
                                                                                      462.6000
                                                                                      462.6125
                                                                                      462.6250
                                                                                      462.6375
                                                                                      462.6500
                                                                                      462.6625
                                                                                      462.6750
                                                                                      462.6875
                                                                                      462.7000
                                                                                      462.7125
                                                                                      462.7250
                                                                                      467.5500
                                                                                      467.5750
                                                                                      467.6000
                                                                                      467.6250
                                                                                      467.6500
                                                                                      467.6750
                                                                                      467.7000
                                                                                      467.7250

• #142930
                                                                                      Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                      Moderator

VHF is MURS. UHF is FRS/GMRS. This is incorrect,

Perfect chance to comms guys to educate us savages in slow speak. Thank you.

For the purposes of this discussion my initial interpretation is accurate or did you miss the request for simple and uncomplicated? ;-)

This is not the correct Thread for unneeded technical details. B-)

• #142942
                                                                                        Max
                                                                                        Keymaster

Given current COVID-19 situation, I wonder if we can still get these radios? If I made a quick order to try and get these shipped, would the consensus be for the GT-3WP?

Anyone aware if you can get AA adapters for these, or the option is to buy additional batteries?

• #142943
                                                                                          Max
                                                                                          Keymaster

Does anyone here have a CHIRP programmed as per what @trailman posted? That could be shared so we can program the radios with all these channels? I would be ideal, for example, to have the GMRS frequencies identified by the usual bubble pack ‘channel number.’

Can CHIRP settings be sent by email etc?

• #142944
                                                                                            LittleBigBill
                                                                                            Participant

I got the from the web:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

It’s easy to use, but don’t get lost in the weeds, as it allows a multitude of frequencies to be loaded into a radio. The best plan is to keep it simple and load only what you need/want for that mission. I suspect you could have multiple mission files that can be saved in the computer and loaded as needed.

cheers

• #142954
                                                                                              Max
                                                                                              Keymaster

Also, I’m looking to put in an order for some GT-#WP radios, seem to be the best option. I cannot find spare batteries or alternative battery power options for this radio. Does anyone have a solution? Those that have this radio you, only have the original battery?

• #142955
                                                                                                  Max
                                                                                                  Keymaster

Well, I appear to have found some batteries – BL-=9 is apparently compatible. I put in an order for 4 of the GT-3WP. Normally I may have taken longer making this decision, but felt the COVID rush and items seem to be going out of stock / not available.

If this is the right radio, I will encourage others to also buy it, and try and get a CHIRP list set up so we can clone freqs etc.

• #142956
                                                                                                  DiznNC
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                  • #142957
                                                                                                    Max
                                                                                                    Keymaster

Also, in reference to my order that I mention above, I additionally purchase some of the ‘in-ear secret service type’ ancillaries.

Why? Ok, this may get complicated.

As a contractor, this is what we wore. We all had personal radios on us which were also on the same freqs as the vehicle radios (the VHF radios). That meant we all head everything and could respond as necessary. When moving in vehicles, I would use the earbud in one ear, and would stick one of those yellow EAR earbuds in the other. That was for two thing – protection from IED blast, and also against firing of small arms from inside the vehicle, either rear gunner on an armored SUV, or turret gunner on the armored REVAs. That appeared to me to give me adequate protection.

Now, with an in-ear bud, that allows it to be routed under electronic ear-pro. That is despite any plans to get the adapters or whatever to link it up with electronic ear-pro. However, electronic ear-pro is great on the range, but I personally find it annoying ‘all the time.’ I like the flexibility of the in-ear-bud to be worn with and without ear protection. In longer term or patrolling operations, keeping electronic ear-pro on all the time is a pain in the ass. Has advantages at times.

It also goes to the idea of having the ear-pro mounted on the helmet. If things went ‘live’ I probably would not. I would keep some in-ear pro buds on my kit and be prepared to stick one in the other ear as necessary. Have the option of electronic ear pro if you wanted it. Your mileage may vary on this, but I would also ask you to consider the effects of long term and patrolling operations on this. Yes, I have been involved in plenty of shooting without any kind of ear-pro at all. Yes, not advised for hearing loss but there is a reality aspect to this that happens. So this is not a post against electronic ear-pro, but a practical look at how you may be cutting about come game-day.

OH, and all ‘former O’ jokes aside, yes I was able to operate the HF CODAN radios on the vehicles in Iraq. Yes, I had my shipboard radio license (as an Yachtmaster Offshore). Yes I have communicated with HF from places like Greenland back to UK (on radios that I set up). Yes, I was once spent time as an enlisted PARA platoon radio operator. I am just not up at all on US HAM radio and I am out of practice by many years. Many here don’t even have comparable experience. This is a perfect opportunity to get the forum up and educated on practical radio systems.

• #142958
                                                                                                      JohnnyMac
                                                                                                      Participant

Does anyone here have a CHIRP programmed as per what @trailman posted? That could be shared so we can program the radios with all these channels?

I went to post it up last night but the files were corrupted :facepalm:

In preparation for one of the CLC’s were made a standard list of frequencies (it was a short list, maybe 10 channels).

• #142968
                                                                                                        trailman
                                                                                                        Participant

Does anyone here have a CHIRP programmed as per what @trailman posted? That could be shared so we can program the radios with all these channels? I would be ideal, for example, to have the GMRS frequencies identified by the usual bubble pack ‘channel number.’

That can be done. The NOVA group has one we use, it might not have ALL the FRS/GMRS channels in it but it has enough.

• #142970
                                                                                                          SeanT
                                                                                                          Keymaster

The Motorola RMM2050 can use the Swivel Earpiece With In-Line Microphone and PTT ($35) and Ultra-Lightweight Temple Transducer Headset ($79).

Thanks for the catch Joe. I didn’t do all my homework.

• #142971
                                                                                                            SeanT
                                                                                                            Keymaster

Thanks for the catch Joe. I didn’t do all my homework.

That can be done. The NOVA group has one we use, it might not have ALL the FRS/GMRS channels in it but it has enough.

CHIRP image files are essentially like an Excel spreadsheet so yes, they can be emailed. The file ends with a .img and that may freak out some email systems but there are ways around that if needed.

One thing to note, with the Chinese radios, the internal firmware changes so frequently that there are sometimes problems programming. The radio will not accept the file. The fix is pretty easy but it is a ‘thing’ for sure. During the recon class, I programmed Ariel’s radio. His friend with the same radio MODEL number but from a different lot, would not take the file. I emailed him the file, he did the trick and programmed it himself a day or 2 later when his cable arrived.

If anyone has questions or maybe specific problems and you don’t feel like posting in public, send me a PM and I will try to assist. I cannot promise instant service but I try to check in on this forum every day or 2. I also have a giant CHIRP file that has the common the non licensed services channel frequencies. It is a cut/paste in a excel sort of way to make new image files if you don’t want all the VHF marine band channels for example. If you noticed, FRS, GMRS, MURS all end with S. It is a service that has been allocated the frequencies within a band. Trailman broke 2 of them out above and Joe as well did with MURS ( multi-use radio service). One other thing I considered when picking MY (yaesu FT-60R) radio for this application (I have several radios) is that it can receive the AM aircraft band. I felt that utility had value. It cannot transmit in that band, but it can receive and that can be good enough if all you need is to understand what the air ops are doing like a med-evac or civilian light fixed wing talking to the tower.

As you all can see, even in this thread 2.0 which is supposed to be less complicated, it still can be complicated.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by SeanT. Reason: Typo on yaesu radio model
                                                                                                            • #142974
                                                                                                              SeanT
                                                                                                              Keymaster

https://www.amazon.com/KG-UV9D-136-174MHz-400-480MHz-channels-Transceiver/dp/B01JD64LVU/ref=asc_df_B01JD64LVU/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138858086203&psc=1

The follow-on model to our radios: KG-UV9D. Readily available on Amazon.com, under 200 bucks, accessories available, incl ear buds, PTT’s, re-chargeable and AA batt packs.

This radio also has Airband. I don’t have one of these but have heard the build quality of this brand is pretty good.

• #142988
                                                                                                                Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                                                Moderator

Also, in reference to my order that I mention above, I additionally purchase some of the ‘in-ear secret service type’ ancillaries.

Why? Ok, this may get complicated.

Sound reasoning that I completely agree with. ;-)

Having a variety of accessories for any given situation is an important necessity. This provides flexibility for mission support.

These accessories will vary in quality and availability.

Many of these accessories are relatively custom and pricey. If you decide on anything like those, bring it up for discusion. Anything is possible and can be built. Sometimes it’s better to brew your own and even if you lack the time and/or skills, I suspect such capability exists with our members.

Regarding frequencies for channel selection, we can have a discussion in a separate Thread concerning the pros and cons.

Power requirements and use; not to mention field expedient methods to recharge batteries, can be addressed as well.

• #143035
                                                                                                                  SeanT
                                                                                                                  Keymaster

I like the earpiece that connects to the speaker mic. The type with the clear acoustic tube. The over the ear clear tube doesn’t stay on me very well so I medical tape it across my ear. I can add over the ear ear pro with no difficulty and could put a foamie in the other ear quick if I needed to. There are in ear molded widgets the acoustic tube can be used with and I may eventually try them but the tape has served me well so far in several activities at the VTC. The more wires and tubes , etc you start futzing with, the better you need to have your gear sorted or you break shit or get it caught on something.

• #143077
                                                                                                                    JohnnyMac
                                                                                                                    Participant

I like the earpiece that connects to the speaker mic.

This is the best way to run the GT3-WP in my opinion. They make a speaker mic for it. It keeps things simple.

• #143410
                                                                                                                      BILLY
                                                                                                                      Participant

So with the observed risk that software versions may not line up, does ANYONE listening have a chirp that they want to share? We could always modify and share further after fixes and patches but it would be a start

• #143424
                                                                                                                        trailman
                                                                                                                        Participant

I thought I replied to this on my phone, when I get a chance I’ll upload a template or PM me with your regular email.

• #143425
                                                                                                                          trailman
                                                                                                                          Participant

I thought I replied to this on my phone, when I get a chance I’ll upload a template or PM me with your regular email.

Attachments:
                                                                                                                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                                                                                                          • #143434
                                                                                                                            Mike
                                                                                                                            Participant

So where do you buy these gt3s with program cable and ear piece?

• #143459
                                                                                                                              Mike
                                                                                                                              Participant

All I can find are uv5s and a85 are they the same?

• #143462
                                                                                                                                  Max
                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

I had 4 x GT-3WP delivered yesterday
                                                                                                                                    With a program cable. Ordered via amazon and shipped from a fulfillment center in the US. There is a delay on receiving the earpieces and spare batteries. Not unboxed the radios yet

• #143468
                                                                                                                                  xsquidgator
                                                                                                                                  Participant

So with the observed risk that software versions may not line up, does ANYONE listening have a chirp that they want to share? We could always modify and share further after fixes and patches but it would be a start

These all should be pretty much the same image file. I put up 3 versions one each for the UV5R, UV5RE, and UV82 which are some of the common types of Baofengs out there. They are almost the same radio but the firmware/files are NOT interchangeable, hence the multiple versions.

All 128 or so of the memory channels are used.
                                                                                                                                    Ch. 1-30 are amateur radio repeaters
                                                                                                                                    (delete and replace with what works in your AO)
                                                                                                                                    (If you don’t have an amateur license, not legal to transmit on except in case of emergency)

Ch. 31-51 are SARNET amateur radio repeaters which is a Florida statewide linked repeater system.
                                                                                                                                    (delete and replace with what works in your AO)
                                                                                                                                    (If you don’t have an amateur license, not legal to transmit on except in case of emergency)

Ch. 63-67 are the 5 MURS frequencies (same as used by Dakota alert systems and some other radios)

Ch 68-90 are UHF and VHF *amateur radio* simplex frequencies.

Ch. 91-97 are the NOAA weather stations, you should be in range of at least one NOAA station on one of these frequencies wherever you are.

Ch 98, 99, 100 are Marine VHF frequencies, not legal to use (if you’re not a vessel) outside of emergency but might be handy to monitor.

Ch. 101-114 are the FRS frequencies
                                                                                                                                    Ch. 115-122 are the GMRS frequencies.

• #143469
                                                                                                                                    xsquidgator
                                                                                                                                    Participant

The site software doesn’t like the IMG files for security reasons.
                                                                                                                                      PM me for an email address and I’ll be glad to email you a copy.

• #143597
                                                                                                                                      SeanT
                                                                                                                                      Keymaster

.img files are basic in the computing world but not real friendly to email servers and web servers. You can add a .txt behind the .img to email it
                                                                                                                                        The recipient needs to rename the file , removing the second file extension (.txt)

• #144373
                                                                                                                                        osozorro
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Max did you ever unbox? Is there an MVT chirp file?

• #144395
                                                                                                                                            Max
                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Not unboxed yet.

Still need a chirp file.

• #144396
                                                                                                                                            farmer
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Max, who did you order your spare batteries from? And were they same or slightly higher mh spec?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by farmer.
                                                                                                                                            • #144436
                                                                                                                                              trailman
                                                                                                                                              Participant

The chirp file is in my post, download the one from your radio and cut and past mine into it, that will get you started.

• #144644
                                                                                                                                                Civilianresponder
                                                                                                                                                Participant

I just recieved two of the GT-3WP cable should arrive today.

• #144649
                                                                                                                                                  xsquidgator
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Here’s the Baofeng UV5R image file exported to CSV (tab delimited text) format.
                                                                                                                                                    You can view in Excel or other programs, and you can copy/paste it into CHIRP also.

This is the file that I mentioned above – it contains mostly amateur radio frequencies but includes MURS, GMRS/FRS and a couple of Marine VHF ones too. You can delete or re-arrange channels to suit your needs.

Attachments:
                                                                                                                                                  • #144666
                                                                                                                                                    Hessian
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Will there be a sticky post in team rekker once this all gets ironed out? Radio, accessories and a CHIRP file?

• #144712
                                                                                                                                                      Max
                                                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Ok, time for radio guys to step up. In the same way I break down tactical training into ways you can learn, time to do same.

Status:

I unboxed my GT-3WP radios. Put them together and put them on charge. Has a read through the chinese-translation instruction booklet. I did purchase the programming cable.

It appears that what we need is something along these lines:

1) Step by step on setup, both of the radio and the frequency files. This would include all we need to know about silencing alarms and noises etc.

2) This elusive chirp file. It seems to be that we need a complete chirp file that will include frequency matches to all the usual GMRS channels etc. Annotated as such. If the radio will only show frequencies on the LCD, we at least can carry a laminated card that equates what frequency is what. Also include the other frequencies such as MURS.

3) I fully understand that there may be inaccuracies on what I have written and asked for above, because I don’t know.

4) This has to be dumbed down and given out as step by step procedures so all of us dumbasses can do this on our own.

I suggest that the radio types get together offline (or start thread) and agree who and how this is to be done, and then post in a new thread the setup guide to these Baofeng radios.

Thank you.

Edit: a general description of what frequency range equates to what service would also be useful.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Max.
                                                                                                                                                      • #144729
                                                                                                                                                        trailman
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Try this

https://geekprepper.com/program-a-baofeng-radio-with-chirp/

He also has a file there with all the common frequencies.

Essentially download the file from the radio into CHIRP, download the baofeng-freqs.csv from the website and load it into chirp. Cut and past the baofeng-freqs.csv file into your radios downloaded file, edit as necessary and upload it to your radio.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by trailman.
                                                                                                                                                          • #144783
                                                                                                                                                            Max
                                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

This is why I asked for someone to take the time to do a step by step. I am trying to follow the link you sent. I downloaded CHIRP. Once I do, which on of the multiple on the list once you open the file is how to actually open chirp to use it?

• #144757
                                                                                                                                                            Mike
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Just program the first 22 channels to the gmrs freqs, that way you dont need a reference chart. Here is the guide https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

• #144772
                                                                                                                                                              Spencer
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

If the radio will only show frequencies on the LCD…

The BFs at least will show the channels by name when you change to Channel Mode, GMRS-1, CH-001, etc.; all customizable via CHIRP. I’m not sure about the other radios, but the BFs likely being the lowest common denominator, I would expect any other radio has the same capability.

DCH 10/2019
                                                                                                                                                                H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

• #144781
                                                                                                                                                                SeanT
                                                                                                                                                                Keymaster

when you run chirp
                                                                                                                                                                  on the left there are ‘tabs’ for other settings
                                                                                                                                                                  this is where you select features on/off etc
                                                                                                                                                                  the display on a baofeng can be set to channel number, frequency, or the alphanumeric name the user labels the channel slot
                                                                                                                                                                  e.g. channel 0, 162.475, Weather3

The firmware ( read options/features) are NOT the same across every radio. They may be similar but not the exact. Each user will need to understand this, and set their particular radio settings as desired.

• #144784
                                                                                                                                                                  Max
                                                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

I’m still really hoping that someone will take the time to post, in it’s own thread, a REAL step by step guide to doing this. No assumptions, step by step. Are you not all isolated due to COVID?

And rather than suggestions, supply us with a CHIRP file with all the channel numbers as per GMRS (plus the rest) and show us how to actually set that up. Do it for a GT-3WP which is the radio we are going for.

I swear, next time someone asks me one on tactics, I’m just going to post to go read FM 7-8. Because fuck you.

Does one of you here want to take lead on Comms for MVT and actually do this?

• #144786
                                                                                                                                                                    SeanT
                                                                                                                                                                    Keymaster

I am on O/T as critical employee.
                                                                                                                                                                      no single person can do this
                                                                                                                                                                      to start that person will need physical GT-3WP to download the starting image from and review the settings and options
                                                                                                                                                                      once the image file ( it looks exactly like a spreadsheet) is on the programming computer the second file can be opened and the rows cut from the reference into the new radio image file.
                                                                                                                                                                      then the new updated radio image file can be pushed back to the radio, power cycle radio and confirm you get what you thought you did.

• #144789
                                                                                                                                                                      glocktavius
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

I’m still really hoping that someone will take the time to post, in it’s own thread, a REAL step by step guide to doing this. No assumptions, step by step. Are you not all isolated due to COVID?

Does one of you here want to take lead on Comms for MVT and actually do this?

I can work on it. I’ll need to order a GT-3WP, or if someone has one, can post the starting image as SeanT mentioned.

And I’ll put together a guide.

• #144791
                                                                                                                                                                        dobar
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

I’ve read through this thread today. There were a couple posts where people posted some channels and freqs. I understand the spreadsheet/CHIRP, or at least have a good idea as to what they are talking about. My GT 3WP is scheduled for delivery today. I downloaded the CHIRP software and saved one of the .csv files posted in this thread. I think I can get this up on my radio if I can get your cable (I didn’t order a programming cable) and then share locally or even post the step-by-step for you.

• #144828
                                                                                                                                                                          teomitheo
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Max, here’s a quick and dirty PDF I threw together on how to get up and running with the GT-3WP on CHIRP. Once there is an official MVT CHIRP file, this will allow you to be able to load that file on the radio without much headache. I’m still learning all of this myself, but thought it might help.
                                                                                                                                                                            T

Attachments:
                                                                                                                                                                          • #144856
                                                                                                                                                                            xsquidgator
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Here’s something to start with, in addition to teomitheo’s material.
                                                                                                                                                                              It’s a modified usage guide- I don’t have one of these GW what the hell Baofengs, but from looking them over it appears to be a ruggedized UV82 (all the buttons/knobs look to be in the same places).
                                                                                                                                                                              This is based off of a training document I and others have used to introduce folks to the UV5R and UV82 which are very similar.

I’ll start with this part of it which is the “what you need to be able to do”.
                                                                                                                                                                              I included the MURS/FRS/GMRS frequency list since as you’ll see, if you fuck it up and can’t get the radio programmed or for some reason you can’t use the programmed memory channels to do this, your fall back plan is to just manually type in the frequency using what’s called “VFO mode”. So this is the place to make up your laminated card with these numbers written or printed on it and keep it close to the radio.
                                                                                                                                                                              You have to know some of this and some other basic definitions or some things or making up step by step instructions won’t make any sense.

I’ll add to this and/or edit it as I can- I’m still working fulltime but now we have the weekend.
                                                                                                                                                                              Between this and what other guys are putting up, you’ll make progress even if you don’t get there as fast as you’d like.

Lemme know if you want this in Word or PDF or whatever and I’ll attach it. For now just copy/pasting.

*** IMPORTANT ***
                                                                                                                                                                              While I/we are writing up instructions for how to do the different steps below (this document was intended for a live instruction session where everyone could work along with his or her own radio), read your instruction manual and or find an English-ized version of the instructions and see if you can learn how to do these operations yourself.

These “practical factors” are the things you need to be able to do yourself with your radio, whether you learn them from a book, from here, or wherever. It includes being able to turn it on, off, change frequencies several different ways, silence the bells/whistles, and other stuff.

I know this isn’t near perfect, but it’s something now while we polish it and fill in the gaps on the stuff you guys don’t already know.

—————————————————————————
                                                                                                                                                                              Baofeng UV82 Information Manual
                                                                                                                                                                              Rev. 03720
                                                                                                                                                                              Caveats
                                                                                                                                                                              The author does not have a GT-3WP radio available. This material is based on previously-prepared materials for the Baofeng UV5R and UV82 radios. At the time of this writing, the GT-3WP *appears* to be very similar to the UV82 but I don’t know for sure that the control operations are all the same. Caveat emptor for now.

Equipment
                                                                                                                                                                              Required equipment:
                                                                                                                                                                              1) Baofeng UV5R/UV82 or similar multiband radio.
                                                                                                                                                                              2) Spare battery/batteries for radio

Optional Equipment:
                                                                                                                                                                              1) Directional VHF/UHF antenna
                                                                                                                                                                              2) 15” whip antenna for radio
                                                                                                                                                                              3) Magnetic base mount antenna for radio
                                                                                                                                                                              4) FRS handheld radio, one per adult.
                                                                                                                                                                              5) Ear bud and microphone for radio

Knowledge Factors – “Things to know or to be able to look up”
                                                                                                                                                                              1. Explain the difference between the radio’s FREQUENCY mode and its CHANNEL (memory) mode.
                                                                                                                                                                              2. List the 14 FRS radio frequencies. This may be done from a “cheat sheet” carried with gear, from a reference manual, by memory, or by using frequencies pre-programmed into the radio’s memory.
                                                                                                                                                                              3. Explain the practical and legal differences between transmitting on unlicensed (FRS) frequencies and licensed (Amateur, GMRS) frequencies, for an individual who is not licensed by the FCC.
                                                                                                                                                                              4. Describe the circumstances under which it is legal for an unlicensed person to transmit on licensed radio frequencies.
                                                                                                                                                                              5. Recite the ITU/NATO phonetic alphabet from memory.

Radio Frequencies (MHz)
                                                                                                                                                                              MURS1 151.820
                                                                                                                                                                              MURS2 151.880
                                                                                                                                                                              MURS3 151.940
                                                                                                                                                                              MURS4 154.570
                                                                                                                                                                              MURS5 154.600
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS1* 462.5625
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS2* 462.5875
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS3* 462.6125
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS4* 462.6375
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS5* 462.6625
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS6* 462.6875
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS7* 462.7125
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS 8 467.5625
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS 9 467.5875
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS 10 467.6125
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS 11 467.6375
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS 12 467.6625
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS 13 467.6875
                                                                                                                                                                              FRS 14 467.7125
                                                                                                                                                                              GMRS15 462.550
                                                                                                                                                                              GMRS16 462.575
                                                                                                                                                                              GMRS17 462.600
                                                                                                                                                                              GMRS18 462.625
                                                                                                                                                                              GMRS19 462.650
                                                                                                                                                                              GMRS20 462.675
                                                                                                                                                                              GMRS21 462.700
                                                                                                                                                                              GMRS22 462.725

Radio Practical Factors (Things you need to be able to perform)

1. Set the radio to a particular simplex FRS frequency (e.g. FRS Channel 7).
                                                                                                                                                                              -> use memory mode, if your radio is programmed
                                                                                                                                                                              -> switch to VFO mode and enter the frequency with the keypad

2. Using a Baofeng UV5R/UV82 or similar radio, perform the following tasks:
                                                                                                                                                                              a. Turn radio on/off, adjust volume.
                                                                                                                                                                              b. Replace the battery.
                                                                                                                                                                              c. Switch the radio from CHANNEL (memory) to FREQUENCY mode, and from FREQUENCY mode to CHANNEL (memory) mode.
                                                                                                                                                                              d. Make a simplex radio-to-radio contact on the FRS portion of the UHF band.
                                                                                                                                                                              e. Use the radio to call in a training situation report to another radio station.
                                                                                                                                                                              f. Monitor two radio channels simultaneously e.g. FRS Channel 1 and FRS Channel 7.
                                                                                                                                                                              g. While monitoring two channels, use the A/B function to transmit on one frequency, followed by a transmission on the other frequency.

3. Set up a VHF/UHF radio for field use:
                                                                                                                                                                              a. Turn off radio backlighting
                                                                                                                                                                              b. Turn off radio voice confirmation
                                                                                                                                                                              c. Adjust radio transmit power from HIGH to LOW, and from LOW to HIGH
                                                                                                                                                                              d. Turn off “Roger beep”

4. If supported by your radio, copy one radio’s memory into another radio in the field with a cloning cable.

5. Walk through/simulate using a USB computer programming cable to program your radio, using CHIRP or RT Systems software.

6. Wipe the radio (reset all menus, erase all VFOs and memory channels) ->Menu # 40

• #144857
                                                                                                                                                                              xsquidgator
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Some other radio info that may be new.
                                                                                                                                                                                Be patient please. This is like telling someone how to use a computer when you have to explain how to use a mouse. It isn’t hard, turn your radio on and try some of these things and it will get MUCH easier if you come up on the learning curve even just a smidge. Go ahead and try it, you won’t hurt anything but trying these things.

Radio Information
                                                                                                                                                                                There are two displays, upper and lower.
                                                                                                                                                                                We recommend that you set up the upper display to show the label for a channel, and the lower to show the frequency. This can be set using the MENU functions.
                                                                                                                                                                                (UV82) To transmit on the upper (display) frequency, press the toggle transmit switch on the UPPER side.
                                                                                                                                                                                To transmit on the lower (display) frequency, press the toggle transmit switch on the LOWER side.

VFO/MEMORY MODE
                                                                                                                                                                                VFO mode means “Variable Frequency Oscillator”- it’s the mode where you dial or type in the frequency that you want to listen to or to transmit on.
                                                                                                                                                                                MEMORY or CHANNEL mode means that as you scroll up or down on the radio controls, you’re moving up or down through preprogrammed frequency lists instead of up or down in frequency.

MENU
                                                                                                                                                                                There are dozens of properties about your radio that you can change with the MENU function. Everything from whether it beeps or is silent when you press a key, to whether it makes “roger beeps” on the air when you transmit, and many other things.
                                                                                                                                                                                To access and use MENU functions, the following steps apply regardless of which MENU function you are viewing or changing:
                                                                                                                                                                                1) hit MENU to access MENU
                                                                                                                                                                                2) use up or down arrows to change the menu option (there are several dozen)
                                                                                                                                                                                3) when you get to the choice that you want to change, hit MENU
                                                                                                                                                                                4) use the up/down arrow to toggle the item through the possible choices
                                                                                                                                                                                5) when finished, hit MENU once to move the cursor back up
                                                                                                                                                                                6) use up/down arrows to move to the next MENU choice you want to change
                                                                                                                                                                                7) when done making changes, let the radio sit for ~30 seconds and it will return to the main display again. Or, hit the EXIT button to exit.

For “tactical” use, you probably want to go into your MENU settings and change or turn off several features. Each menu choice has a number shown with the small numerals on the right of the display
                                                                                                                                                                                1) turn off the roger beep (everyone else hears it when you transmit, if it’s on) Menu -># 39
                                                                                                                                                                                2) turn off the backlighting when the radio transmits or receives
                                                                                                                                                                                Menu -># 39 -> ROGER (change to OFF) Turn off the Roger tone
                                                                                                                                                                                Menu # 31 -> TX-LED (change to OFF) Turns off backlighting on transmit/receive
                                                                                                                                                                                Menu #30 -> RX-LED (change to OFF) Turns off backlighting on transmit/receive
                                                                                                                                                                                Menu #29 -> WT-LED (change to OFF) Turns off backlighting on transmit/receive
                                                                                                                                                                                Menu #21 -> MDF-A (change to NAME) Change upper display
                                                                                                                                                                                Menu #22 -> MDF-B (change to FREQ) Change lower display
                                                                                                                                                                                Menu #20 -> PTT-LT (change to 0) Turns off backlighting on transmit/receive
                                                                                                                                                                                Menu #8 -> BEEP (change to OFF) Gets rid of beep when you press buttons
                                                                                                                                                                                Menu #19 -> PTT-ID (change to OFF) Gets rid of ID tones transmitted
                                                                                                                                                                                Menu #14-> VOICE (change to OFF) Gets rid of computer voice

• #144858
                                                                                                                                                                                xsquidgator
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

and one more MENU choice, if you mess it up and don’t know how to get back to where you were:
                                                                                                                                                                                  Menu choice #40 is RESET ALL.
                                                                                                                                                                                  Run this if you want to wipe the radio and start over.

Where we’re going, once it’s typed up, is that you’ll routinely wipe the radio (no big deal) and then just reprogram it’s memory channels and things like the “tactical choices” above using the programming cable.

• #144859
                                                                                                                                                                                  xsquidgator
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Recommendation:
                                                                                                                                                                                    Set up your upper and lower display (MDF-A and MDF-B) as indicated above.
                                                                                                                                                                                    A common need that arises is to know both the name and the label of a particular frequency that’s programmed into your radio.
                                                                                                                                                                                    If you set up your display this way, you can set MDF A and MDF B to the same memory channel, and thus see the label and frequency at the same time.
                                                                                                                                                                                    You still retain the ability to change MDF-A and MDF-B to different frequencies, if you need to use two frequencies at once.

• #144878
                                                                                                                                                                                    The Librarian
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Ok, I have two GT-3WP radios. I got CHIRP installed. CHIRP will not recognize any ports on my laptop. I researched known issues with Windows 10 and saw that an older driver was needed. Got an error message with the new (older) driver.

This is frustrating beyond words. Even tried it on an older laptop. Still a no-go.

I will try manual programming next, but so far this whole experiment is nothing but an exercise in frustration. So much for keeping it simple.

• #144879
                                                                                                                                                                                      xsquidgator
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

If you keep messing with it, you may get it to work with CHIRP. I had the same experience. Many of the programming cables out there have incompatible chipsets in them and/or other problems.
                                                                                                                                                                                        Manually programming is possible but EXTREMELY tedious, to the point of being impractical.

After years of experience like yours trying to program the Baofeng, I got the RT Systems software and cable for the Baofeng and I still very much recommend it.
                                                                                                                                                                                        It’s $50 but it simply works the way it’s supposed to, and you can reprogram any of your radios very quickly and easily.

• #144892
                                                                                                                                                                                        trailman
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Ok, I have two GT-3WP radios. I got CHIRP installed. CHIRP will not recognize any ports on my laptop. I researched known issues with Windows 10 and saw that an older driver was needed. Got an error message with the new (older) driver.

This is frustrating beyond words. Even tried it on an older laptop. Still a no-go.

I will try manual programming next, but so far this whole experiment is nothing but an exercise in frustration. So much for keeping it simple.

What model cable do you have?

• #144910
                                                                                                                                                                                          SeanT
                                                                                                                                                                                          Keymaster

Miklor

This site has collected s LOT of information about these radios. There are many cables out there that use bootleg prolific chipsets. It is a fact of life…
                                                                                                                                                                                            Sorry that you had that problem but it can be overcome.

• #144968
                                                                                                                                                                                            glocktavius
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Here’s the CHIRP image file for the GT-3WP. All the FRS, GRMS, and MURS frequencies are programmed into it, and it’s been setup for ‘tactical’ use as described by xsquidgator.

You’ll need to unzip it. In theory, if you have CHIRP, and a cable that works, you should just be able to select Radio->Upload to Radio and done!

I’m also working on a how to that’ll show you how to do the above if you’re unfamiliar with it.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by glocktavius.
                                                                                                                                                                                              • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by glocktavius.
                                                                                                                                                                                              Attachments:
                                                                                                                                                                                            • #144974
                                                                                                                                                                                              milamber
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

This has been a great thread. I tried to source a GT3-WP and my order kept getting cancelled due to supply issues. So I ordered a UV5-R. I discovered that whilst the UV5 has the ability to switch between two frequencies by pressing a button on the radio, it doesn’t work with a dual PTT, push to talk. I ended up ordering a UV82 to get that functionality. Does the GT3-WP work with dual PTT, does anyone know ?

• #144975
                                                                                                                                                                                                JohnnyMac
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Does the GT3-WP work with dual PTT, does anyone know ?

No, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t.

For what it’s worth, the UV82 I tried lasted for one or two days in the field before giving up the ghost. Something is better than nothing, but I’d baby it.

• #144983
                                                                                                                                                                                                  milamber
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Ughh, good to know

• #144985
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Jim Tom
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

This has been a great thread. I tried to source a GT3-WP and my order kept getting cancelled due to supply issues.

Just curious, where were you ordering from?

• #145001
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Roadkill
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Ordered off from Amazon Prime. Came in 3 Days.
                                                                                                                                                                                                        $42.28 total. Free shipping
                                                                                                                                                                                                        They show in stock

• #145006
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Roadkill
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

I just received my GT 3WP. I had some older uv5r+. It seems these are already preprogrammed for FRS.
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Are these frequencies we can use?
                                                                                                                                                                                                          The gt for example has 461.925 top number on display, and 462.225 on bottom.
                                                                                                                                                                                                          You can switch between these two channels or you can switch through other frequencies if you want others different than the two on the screen, those are also designated on the screen top and bottom like channel 1 through 21. Channel 21 is 155.700.
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Are these legal channels for us to use.
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Or are they good channels for us to use.

• #145012
                                                                                                                                                                                                          xsquidgator
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I just received my GT 3WP. I had some older uv5r+. It seems these are already preprogrammed for FRS.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Are these frequencies we can use?
                                                                                                                                                                                                            The gt for example has 461.925 top number on display, and 462.225 on bottom.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            You can switch between these two channels or you can switch through other frequencies if you want others different than the two on the screen, those are also designated on the screen top and bottom like channel 1 through 21. Channel 21 is 155.700.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Are these legal channels for us to use.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Or are they good channels for us to use.

It’s not legal strictly speaking for you to operate in the FRS/GMRS or the MURS frequencies (462-467 MHz and 150 MHz ranges) with this radio, but 99% it won’t be a problem unless you cause interference with a legit user of these services. You can do it in the sense that the radio probably won’t physically stop you from transmitting on these (many amateur radio transceivers are built so that they won’t transmit on non-amateur radio frequencies like these).
                                                                                                                                                                                                            So, you should be ok doing this but not strictly legal.

Your radio is capable of transmitting on nearby amateur radio frequencies including 144-148 MHz and 420-450 MHz. I do NOT recommend that you transmit on these; it’s not legal for you to do that (outside of a legit emergency) even though the radio will do it. The difference though is that most amateur radio operators WILL get ticked off at you when they hear you and you are asking for attention and trouble if you keep doing it.

• #145020
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Roadkill
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Could we use the preprogrammed channels on low power for small unit tactics?

• #145035
                                                                                                                                                                                                              xsquidgator
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Could we use the preprogrammed channels on low power for small unit tactics?

You should be fine on that, I would check the radios on both ends to make sure they have the same preset frequencies.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                If it turns out you’re talking over someone’s Dakota alert system or whatever and it’s a problem, switch to a different frequency.

• #145037
                                                                                                                                                                                                                wheelsee
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

For those who question the “legality” and “who would catch me” of being a non ticketed HAM using HAM freqs, let me introduce you to the “fox and the hound”.

This is a legitimate contest that is had amongst some of the ELMERs (older HAM, who mentors us younger HAMs). They enjoy RDF (radio-direction finding) as a “hunt”. Think of the old WWII movies where the Nazis are in their van triangulating on the radio transmissions of a local British/French agent.

The ELMERs (don’t call them Fudd’s, some get offended) I know really enjoy passing on the knowledge and skills for HAM. They also have zero tolerance for interference in their radio operations.

So these ELMERs triangulate on your position and pass on to the local authorities who also don’t like their radio operations being interrupted. Fines and jail time are the rewards.

These same ELMERs will encourage you to listen in, just not transmit. Little known – if a non-ticketed person is with a ticketed HAM, the non-ticket can transmit but is required to use the ticketed call-sign and still abide by HAM etiquette.

Caveat – in an emergency, these same ELMERs will assist in anyway possible, passing on information to ultimately the ones to get you help.

• #145055
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  deadtree
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

For now, I think my crew and I are going to try these just for within-team communication. (I understand about how comms aren’t used that much. But we have 6 guys and if we decide to split into 2 groups of 3, then I want comms.)

https://baofengtech.com/murs-v1

Programmed for MURS, 2w, no license needed. Can they be run over with an Abrams? Probably not, but I’m not made of money. :unsure:

• #145273
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Former Sapper
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Just as an addendum to the above discussion; I’ve had good results with an ABBREE folding antenna with my radios https://www.amazon.com/ABBREE-Foldable-Tactical-SMA-Female-Connector/dp/B07GYKN6ZD which allows you a little more antenna tuning by reducing or increasing its size (bigger for VHF, smaller for UHF). I currently have it on a Radioddity GD-77 on amateur frequencies (I am ticketed before anyone asks!). In terms of radios, a big favourite abroad have been Hytera DMR radios in various guises. DMR is a decent option for tactical comms giving you a few layers of security against John Doe and his scanners but comms discipline is absoutely fine too.

• #145503
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Daniel
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

I’ve found Chirp can be difficult when it comes to getting it to talk to the radio. These steps work for me every time.

Computer on, Chirp open, cable connecting turned off radio and computer.

Turn radio on to full volume.

Tell Chirp to read from the radio.

Once that’s complete upload your desired file to the radio.

That should do it…

• #145634
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        wheelsee
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Many thanks for everyone’s input. I setup a UV5 and two UV82 that had been sitting on shelf forever. FYI – the batteries were still fully charged (it’s been over a year since I had handled).

• #150246
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          michaeltqs
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I know this is an old post.

Yeasu VX-3

222mhz band set transmit power to low (.02 watts)I think

Use 222 band specific antenna

Keep transmissions short, this power and band is one of the least used in the spectrum. Use good operating practice like keeping terrain features between you and OPFOR etc

• #150302
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            DiznNC
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

OK as an update, if you are running just about any hand-held civvy radio, and want to upgrade to mil-grade accessories, check out disco32.com. They are former SF com guys and custom make items that allow your commercial radio to use mil-spec accessories, such as PTT’s (with custom plugs) that will jack into your Headset, custom antennaes and antennae relocaters, with adapters to fit your radio.

These items are a little better than the chinese stuff on ebay, so if you want a better quality item, this is a good source. For example, I just ordered a U-94 PTT, with custom Kenwood 2-pin plug to work with my UV8D. So you get a std mil issue PTT, that fits your mil headset, and customized with a plug to fit your radio, for 100 bucks. That’s a pretty good deal. Also bought the VMAS (vest mounted antennae system), which is cable/antennae system, which relocates your antennae from your cummerbund position to the rear plate cover. It comes with std mil connectors (TNC or BNC) but also has adapters to fit our radios (SMA’s). This gives you an alternate antennae which is woven into your rear plate cover and totally out of the way. (It will be covered by your ruck, when carried, so still suggest carrying a whip antennae, if you need to talk with say, adjacent units.)

If you want a more lightweight or covert earbud/PTT set-up, check out srstactical.com. Again they have a slightly better grade of products than what you might normally find. They also do custom work, like put a Kenwood 2-pin jack on mil-spec stuff so you can use it with your commercial radio.

So yeah just wanted to mention these two sources for you guys, FWIW. It gives you something in between cheap chinese stuff, and uber expensive domestic stuff.

BTW we are still rocking out the Wouxun KG UV8D’s with zero issues. I would say light to moderate use in field conditions. Has not blown up, melted, or fallen apart. The follow-on UV9D still available.

• #150318
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              D Close
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Moderator

Yeasu VX-3

222mhz band set transmit power to low (.02 watts)I think

Use 222 band specific antenna

Michael, do you mean VX-6? VX-3R isn’t advertising 222.

Viewing 101 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.