Combat Medic set ups

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Med Gear and Kit Combat Medic set ups

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      rambro25
      Participant

Does anyone here function as a dedicated medic in their group of like minded individuals? Im just having a time figuring out how to run an assault pack, Squad medic bag (NAR CCRK Waist Bag), Battle Belt, and Plate carrier.

D Close

Max has some experience in this area. It isn’t covered in the basic courses. I’ll give him a heads up.

rambro25
          Participant

Thanks. He gave me some pointers about cross loading med gear and not carrying a giant tick of a med ruck on Facebook which is what encouraged me to go with the waist pack. The only other option I can see would be attaching the waist pack to the molle of the battle belt but then you put so much weight on the back that you need suspenders for the belt which means you couldnt get to the waist pack with out taking off your plate carrier. I’m sure that I’m thinking into this way too much.

Whiskey
            Participant

Rambro25,

I was a 68W (Army medic), and did time in OIF and OEF. I have tried a lot of different stuff.

I used a NARP medic drop leg for the longest time. It was fairly convenient, but would bounce around a bit when running.

I really liked my TSSI M9 aid bag. It’s pretty slim, but holds what you need for a patrol pretty easily. The M9 bag will also clip onto your body armor, which I found to be very comfortable.

If you have access to fluids, I would have your team carry their own bag/IV Kit. That spreads the heaviest part of a medics gear, really.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, or clarify

Wild Bill
              Participant

@Rambro25 you might want to checkout http://www.deepsurvival.today/ for a wide assortment of medical supplies i.e. IV Kits etc.

JustARandomGuy
                Participant

Rambro;

Without swinging out of my lane to far, you may simply be trying to put to many separate things all together.
                  I had a similar situation back when I first started setting up my gear- I could *not* reconcile everything I wanted to run with each other, until I started either combining some things, or cutting others out.
                  It sucks, but… you may have to eliminate something. Like the battle belt or waist bag, which seem to be the pivot points of the issue here. I’m fairly certain you will never deconflict a waist bag with a battle belt.

Now, aside from that cool little TSSI medpack, something you could try with your current NAR med bag is get some 1″ webbing, triglides, and buckles, and (depending on your assault pack) fold the waist-belt under the aid bag and rig it to the MOLLE on the bottom of the pack, or the back, side, etc.- then you can just unclip the med bag from the assault pack when needed, and either run it like a hand bag, or strap it on.

Or perhaps if an M9/similar-type medpack works better, ditch the full secondary aid bag, and use the battle belts as an abbreviated version of it.

YMMV.

Whiskey-
                  Per use of the M9 pack- I was doing a little reading on this piece of gear, and some guys were mentioning it’s flat enough to run under a patrol/assault pack. Have you ever tried this?

It also seems many medics running the M9 are also running the NAR bag or TT First Responder bag along with it- the one complaint seems to be the size. So perhaps the med guy is going to be stuck with an extra waist aid bag anyway? Or perhaps just because they’re working with larger groups than most here?

rambro25
                  Participant

Just a quick update. I really appreciate the feedback guys. I broke my m9 bag out of storage along with some rip away emt pouches which now live on the 6 o’clock of my battle belt. This is a change from my previous set up where the battle belt only held a holster, mag pouches and a dump pouch. I also picked up a Tac-med solutions “combat medic pouch” for a pretty decent price on eBay. These three pouches will hopefully take the place of my waist bag. The plan is to pack a hemorrhage control kit in the combat medic pouch and then pack the rest minor wound care items, diagnostic tools and OTC meds in the rip-aways. Since I don’t have medical command, I don’t get to play with all the fun meds and narcs. The rest of the gear such as fluids and combat pill packs will be divided among the team in addition to their ifaks. The M9 will be more of a resupply/MCI bag that will be staged in a vehicle or at the training site with gear like the folding litter. I look forward to trying this system out at our next exercise and seeing how everything works. Hope to have an update soon.

Max
                    Keymaster

Thank you for the plug . My web store analytics showed me the reference and I got to say again thank you because I would have never found this Forum.
                      I own Deep survival today and deep survival.co and I appreciate it. If you ever need anything let me know and I will give you nice discount .

Respectfully
                      tom

SeanT
                      Keymaster

Welcome Tom!

Wild Bill
                        Participant

@deepsurvival great to have you join us Tom.

Max
                          Keymaster

Thanks guys . I have a lot of reading to do :}

Whiskey
                            Participant

@Justarandomguy

Wearing the M9 under a pack could be done, I imagine. Can’t say it would be ideal, but it depends on how much you pack into the bag. I generally always wore a NARP drop leg medic rig as well, with my immediate needs. The M9 was directly clipped to my armor. I had a Blackhawk! STOMPII in the Buffalo as my MASCAL/ resupply.

JustARandomGuy
                              Participant

Thanks for the info Whiskey.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.