CLC Prep Thread

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 months, 1 week ago by Max. This post has been viewed 1978 times
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      dave37
      Participant

Hey everybody,

So, the CLC class is coming up pretty soon here. Given that the focus of the class is operating as a squad, it might be useful to try and establish some commonality with respect to gear and procedures beforehand, so that we are not playing catch up at the beginning of the class. I wanted to see what gear everybody else is running, so I can be on the same page.

1) Radios. What radios are you guys bringing, what operating frequencies, what support gear (earpieces, etc)?

2) Night vision. I’m bringing mine, and will be buying a tracer unit for my Airsim gun. Anybody else? Anybody bringing thermal? Also, I notice they sell red and green tracer BBs; it would probably be good if we are all using the same color tracers.

3) Hand signals. Do we have a standard set of hand signals we can learn beforehand, so we’re not making it up as we go along?

Those are just the things I thought of; if anybody else comes up with things that we can have standardized beforehand, I think it will make things a lot smoother for us when the class begins.

Unrelated: What is the weather likely to be in the WV mountains in early October? I was planning to camp on site; how heavy of a sleeping bag and clothing do I need to bring?

Thanks in advance.

HEAT 1 2017
        Intro to CQB 2017
        Texas HEAT 2 2018
        Operation TeaSinker 2019
        Combat Leader Course 2019
        Team Coyote
        Team Rekkr
        Team Cowbell

hellokitty
        Participant

I took CLC 2 yrs ago. So Max May have change things up since.
          1. Radio is not something you have to have. But it is nice. However, it must be quiet or you cannot use it. So a mic with an earpiece is necessary. Any freqs will be set before a mission.
          2. Unless Max has change up CLC, there are no night missions.
          3. Weather- Over a week plan to see Hot to Cold, Rain, Hail, Sleet, early snow, Thunder and Lightning, possibly locusts. Be prepared for anything.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
          HEAT 2 (CP) X1
          FOF X3
          OPFOR X2
          CLC X2
          RIFLEMAN

hellokitty
          Participant

Sorry
            Hand signals- just pull up basic hand signals from an FM manual.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
            HEAT 2 (CP) X1
            FOF X3
            OPFOR X2
            CLC X2
            RIFLEMAN

tango
            Participant

Use your smarts to adapt to using the resources available to you at the time to accomplish the mission. That’s an integral part to the leadership learning experience. Being irregular is a strength when wielded properly.

1. Radio is not something you have to have. But it is nice. However, it must be quiet or you cannot use it. So a mic with an earpiece is necessary. Any freqs will be set before a mission.

+1
              This is what I recommend for a simple training radio setup that can be adapted to just about anyone’s gear:
              Baofeng UV-5R
              UV-5R Extended Battery
              Optional: Antenna
              Optional: PTT + Earpiece

It must be said: Baofengs are not a permanent solution. They are good for training because they are cheap, readily available, and because of their low quality the issues you run in to will make for good practice.

2. Unless Max has change up CLC, there are no night missions.

Night Recce was run on the first 2 CLCs because I volunteered and organized it while attending. File under Extracurricular Activities.

3. Weather- Over a week plan to see Hot to Cold, Rain, Hail, Sleet, early snow, Thunder and Lightning, possibly locusts. Be prepared for anything.

+1
              Pack a warmer sleep system than you think you need, keep a rain jacket in your patrol pack, and leave the parka at the base for when you get back from patrol.

AWS18
              Participant

Is everyone planning on running VHF or UHF radios?

CQB 04/19
                Heat 1 06/19
                Heat 2 08/19
                CLC 10/19

JohnnyMac
                  Participant

I’ll have dual band. GMRS is good for this sort of thing

AWS18
                      Participant

Thanks. Just curious, which radio do you have?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by AWS18.

CQB 04/19
                        Heat 1 06/19
                        Heat 2 08/19
                        CLC 10/19

Max
                    Keymaster

Hey, just in case you didn’t see in the other thread, we are now at 10 students. Awesome.

We are still working on OPFOR.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.