Captain America

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Captain America

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Baldrick
      Participant

I went on a date with the wife last night and we saw the new Captain America movie. I don’t typically go willy nilly and see stuff at the theater, but I heard this had a good message. Boy did it.

Asked a lot of good questions about trust in government, liberty vs security, and the morality of punishing people for crimes they haven’t committed (yet). They also used the phrase New World Order in referencing the villans, who used phrases like “control, absolute control,” and “order at all costs.” One of my favorite dialogues in the film came when the villans carefully explained how when you try to take people’s freedom by force, they fight back (and they show archival footage of Captain America kicking Nazi butt during WWII) and how the key is to create enough instability, war, and conflict and terror to get people to WILLINGLY give up their freedom for more security. The film’s primary conflict also stems from the global security apparatus using super drones to pre-emptively eliminate potential threats. So very relevant.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/04/07/Hollywood-Turns-Against-Obama-with-Captain-America-Winter-Soldier

I typically am reluctant to support the Hollywood industry and its cultural war on Middle America, although there have been several exceptions in the past few years (Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy, Lone Survivor, Act of Valor, and more I’m sure I’m forgetting, and two of those were indie movies anyway) so I was all the more surpised to see a MARVEL movie with an outfront awesome message like this. I was happy to support this type of film with my wallet. Not just another yawn-worthy Marvel sequel, but a film that asks and answers some of the great debates of our time.

Brian from Georgia
        Participant

I don’t go to the movies often but I might have to check this one out. I still need ot see Lone Survivor for that matter.

Baldrick
          Participant

I would watch the first one, it will help it make sense. Just in case you hadn’t. The first one isn’t nearly as impactful but set the story up nicely.

Max
            Keymaster

Coincidence that someone in Hollywood has decided to step outside the lines of the Liberal norm?…I think not. I haven’t seen the new one either, but I have heard the talk from all directions, both good and bad. 50 bucks says you can’t guess where the bad reactions come from. No really, that was sarcasm.

Max
              Keymaster

Don’t cheer too loudly yet- Hollywood is still overwhelmingly left-wing.

But yes, the new Conservative movies are always bigger money-makers.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.