Camo and NV

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Night Operations Camo and NV

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 9 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 100 times
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Recently had an overnight training session testing out NV gear. Thought I would share some results. There are a couple of vids on the NV gear we use as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sLDP1rMEU

RRS
        Participant

As for camo upping the AR does that Dura coat stuff work well enough for that?

D Close

It has been said before on this forum, so I am merely repeating what has been said by the more qualified: We don’t run around with lasers on. We turn them on when we illuminate the target, fire, and off it goes. Same for gun lights. Second, camo, as during the day, should blend in the background. Materials matter and today someone posted a PSA regarding foreign made gear that glows. Seriously, it doesn’t matter so much what you are wearing, as long as you blend into the background. Staying in the shadows will mask you. You can have the most IR compliant costume on but if your background doesn’t match, you fail.

Max
            Keymaster

As for camo upping the AR does that Dura coat stuff work well enough for that?

We haven’t tested all the paint system s available. I can say that Krylon and other commercial spray paints are next to useless at night. Rifle might as well be black. Cerakote is slightly better, but a wrap is the best.

Corvette
              Participant

Cerakote is slightly better, but a wrap is the best.

I’ll remember that. :)

USMC0331
                Participant

NV rated cerakote is the bomb, but as soon as you add a wrap/paint/etc to it, it’s defeated. Also you have to have LEO customers and be a certified applicator to get NIC to sell it to you. :(

Max
                  Keymaster

So in general, at night it’s better to have coyote brown? It seems like it reflects at roughly the same wavelengths as the leaves and bushes while the other camo gear matches “hard” surfaces like tree trunks better.

Manifold

Max
                    Keymaster

So in general, at night it’s better to have coyote brown? It seems like it reflects at roughly the same wavelengths as the leaves and bushes while the other camo gear matches “hard” surfaces like tree trunks better.

Manifold

I would say that the modern military cammos are the best. I like ACU and desert USMC that I have died green (what I was wearing in the vid) with multicam being good also, but if I can get away cheap I’m gonna- lots more logistics to be concerned with rather than how cool you look. A light subdued color like coyote is not bad for is appearance next to natural vegetation but it does nothing to break up the silhouette. When you cross it with gear it does a better job. This might appeal to the guerrilla thinkers among us, because you have the ability to hide the gear and walk in to WalMart without looking unusual.

Max
                      Keymaster

NV rated cerakote is the bomb, but as soon as you add a wrap/paint/etc to it, it’s defeated. Also you have to have LEO customers and be a certified applicator to get NIC to sell it to you. :(

I’ve seen picture, but do not have access. I was referring to the normal cerekote.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.