Building and Using Expedient Field Rations

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Building and Using Expedient Field Rations

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So now that you have taking the advice to dehydrate food for storage as described in “Dehydrating Food for Field Rations and Preparedness.”

What to do now to make easily utilized rations for patrols?

There are many sites that get into this, here is one that does an excellent job “Backpacking Food for the Soul” by Backpacking Chef.

Prepared meals awaiting your next trip!

It is pretty much a one stop resource.

Max
        Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s Post, but a glitch from previous Forum change.

Thanks for posting this kind of stuff. It is appreciated.

Keeper
          Participant

Thanks also here

Aerohawk
            Participant

Great info. Thanks

JohnnyMac
              Participant

Joe, that Backpacking Food for the Soul link sure has some tasty looking food!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Joe, that Backpacking Food for the Soul link sure has some tasty looking food!

Yes, he has some outstanding recipes and with a little practice you can modify them to your diet and taste.

The thing I like most about this method is the fact it is a long term “Event” solution.

It doesn’t matter how deep your food stores are eventually you will run out.

These also work extremely well with Thermos Cooking.

The way it works for me in a Field environment is I plan on eating two hot meals a day, supplemented by snacks and such. During dinner I heat water for preheating thermos and prepare breakfast meal. The next morning I enjoy breakfast while preparing dinner, by evening it’s ready. The cycle continues until return to traditional facilities.

The benefits to this method of cooking in the field is always having a hot meal ready (particularly when MRE’s are unavailable) and minimizing food scent. When used with a Dakota Fire pit or a Kelly Kettle, you minimize fuel consumption and greatly reduce smoke signature.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yearly time for another look. :good:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

There’s more to MVT Forum than people think. Many practical skills and knowledge here.

tango
                      Participant

Lessons learned from Ultralight Hikers: light weight, cheap, easy to procure, high-calorie resupplies.

https://youtu.be/n-akCFL–Fo

wheelsee
                        Participant

The little foil 1-serving packets at Walmart (listed above) make great meals. Use them every day in Brady……..and at work…..

I’ll treat myself with the individual fruit bowls, something sweet.

You don’t need the $8-10 individual meals. Try at Walmart – you can usually get a meal for $3-4 (or less, if find on sale)

LittleBigBill
                          Participant

i used to do more of this stuff when my son was in Scouts and I was Assistant Scoutmaster.

Thank you for the reminder to keep abreast of the latest recipes and methods!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Like most things you can spend a lot or a little. Plenty ways to save it you put forth the effort.

I really consider this an important skill set it you truly want preparedness and self sufficient lifestyle.

I have a stock of MRE’s that I keep on hand and some of the modern freeze dried meals, both civilian and military.

As stated even a relatively small group will use these up rather quickly, so we have to consider potential long-term support.

Learn now when mistakes are not a big deal! ;-)

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.