Book Review “Patton’s Way: A Radical Theory of War”

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Gear and Book Reviews Book Review “Patton’s Way: A Radical Theory of War”

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

I think most of you know how I feel about General Patton, his legacy and the way he has been treated by history.

Why was he the success that the was? Why were other GO’s, to include Eisenhower, Bradley, Montgomery and to an extent Marshall, unable to understand him? Part of it was that they did not have the education, drive and an understanding of warfare that Patton did. Their minds were incapable of grasping the concepts that he did. They saw what they thought was indifference and recklessness. He was neither of those, nor was he afraid of new concepts in warfare.

Part of their problem in my opinion was also fear and jealousy. They knew deep down that he was a better Soldier than they would ever be. To the extent that several of them took credit for the things that Patton and his 3rd Army accomplished. Patton cared deeply about his soldiers, the rest didn’t.

“Patton’s Way” by James Kelly Morningstar goes into detail about how Patton conducted warfare. He also talks about how Patton has been woefully misunderstood by historians.

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Excellent book!

Two more excellent books are War As I Knew It and General Patton’s Principles for Life and Leadership.

Hessian
          Participant

Another book to add to the reading list. :good:

I think Patton’s modern day caricature is based off of the 70s movie where Bradley had a big hand in the development of the movie.

First Sergeant

That’s exactly where it came from and Bradley hated Patton.

I hope that in the last years of his life that Patton haunted him everyday. If for nothing else than for refusing to believe Patton when he said the Soviets were a threat and neither Bradley nor Eisenhower would believe him.

FILO
                Signal Out, Can You Identify
                Je ne regrette rien
                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.