BOOK REVIEW: Jungle Snafus…And Remedies by Major Cresson H. Kearny (Ret.)

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Gear and Book Reviews BOOK REVIEW: Jungle Snafus…And Remedies by Major Cresson H. Kearny (Ret.)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      shane2
      Participant

https://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Snafus-Remedies-Cresson-Kearny/dp/1884067107

This book, IMO, needs to be read by all developers & manufacturers of, and especially end users of, any load bearing kit, uniforms, boots, tents, rafts, hammocks, rations, medical kits, etc.

Mostly focused on Jungle fighting equipment requirements, but some cold weather and desert needs also related near end of authors career here, too.

The author impacted military gear development from before WWII. Much of the jungle-specific equipment presently available was initially developed by Cresson Kearny during the early years of WWII. Including the “Jungle Boot”, jungle hammock, 5-quart canteen, and the machete and sheath. He continued to trail blaze personal equipment development through Korea to Vietnam and even the first Iraq gulf war.

My gear choices are to this day impacted by what this book reveals, some even still flaunt generally accepted conventional wisdom. IOW’s, this is more than just a fascinating history ride, your future personal gear choices will also likely be influenced by a read of it.

Here’s a site with some snippets of chapters from it. Bet you can’t stop with just reading the FOREWARD there…

http://www.junglesnafus.com/page4.html

That site also includes this endorsement on first page there…

“Throughout the military history of the American people, the qualities that have contributed most to winning battles have been the ability and the willingness of its combat leaders to innovate and solve unexpected problems with ingenuity and creativity. Jungles Snafus … and Remedies provides an amazing revelation of first hand stories and anecdotes that enable the reader to gain ideas and examples of how imaginative thinking by combat leaders can avoid disasters, save lives, and win battles. The book is a fun read and covers many areas unrelated to jungles. I strongly recommend that all leaders, especially those in infantry and Special Operations units, read this fascinating collection of combat wisdom.”

John K. Singlaub
        Major General U.S. Army (Ret.)
        World-ranging fighter in defense of freedom

Virgil Kane
        Participant

I just did some searching. This is the same guy that wrote “Nuclear War Survival Skills” and invented the Kearny Fallout Meter. Smart man.

Virgil Kane
          Participant

Thanks, JM. I bought the book and started reading last night. It’s full of good info and explains how the US mil has gone backwards in regards to some gear.

Robert(@lowdown3) would like it. Kearny is anti-M16 and pro-AK47.

Robert
            Participant

Definitely. Kearny had some good stuff. He wrote Nuclear War Survival Skills also.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I had meant to comment on this ealier, but life got in the way! ;-)

This book, like all of Kearny’s work is required reading in my opinion. Though I admit when this book came out I was not as enthusiastic about it due to my own bias and background. I was very naive due to my own extensive background in jungle environments.

I could not imagine that in such a relatively short time the military would institutionally forget almost everything about jungle warfare!

I grew up spending significant time in Florida swamps, my early mentors were experienced Vietnam veterans with real jungle warfare backgrounds, attended most military survival courses to include JOTC at Fort Sherman (Jungle Expert), and spent much time in Central America during my early career.

I was completely shocked that we let the GWOT destroy this knowledge.

Those that have followed my Threads will see much in common with with
                Kearny’s opinions in this book.

I highly recommend Jungle Snafus.

Virgil Kane
                Participant

Those that have followed my Threads will see much in common with with
                  Kearny’s opinions in this book.

You ain’t one of them AK47 commies are you?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

You ain’t one of them AK47 commies are you?

I prefer a Colt AR, but a AK will work just fine. Of course there is a lot more to Kearny’s work than this.

First Sergeant

I was completely shocked that we let the GWOT destroy this knowledge.

This is going to come back and bite us in the ass.

FILO
                      Signal Out, Can You Identify
                      Je ne regrette rien
                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This is going to come back and bite us in the ass.

We have forgotten way too many things that will require much blood to relearn, shortsighted fools.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.