BOCO – buy once, cry once – the importance of quality equipment

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment BOCO – buy once, cry once – the importance of quality equipment

• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 2 months ago by Spoon. This post has been viewed 182 times
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      wheelsee
      Participant

While I don’t usually post from another site, I keep seeing the same issues over and over – despite recommendations to the contrary from Max, First Sergeant, and others.

So, from another site, a different take/reason NOT to buy low-quality equipment/gear……

>>>>>>We are at a social function this weekend, that included a number of preparedness minded folks in the crowd. One of the things that I noticed, a lot, were the number of open-carried guns, in absolute piece-of-shit holsters. I’m not just talking about the abortion that is the Blackhawk SERPA, but the lowest end, gun store table purchased, made in China, single-row stitching, holsters, flopping around loosely on the belt, with four or five different velcro-closed straps barely managing to keep the gun from tumbling out onto the gravel.

One of the things that observant readers will notice, in the Junk on the Bunk series, is the lack of low-end equipment. You’re not going to see Condor, or Voodoo Tactical, or anything else that can be bought at the local big box store sporting goods section.

Why is that? I mean, I’ve read articles/reviews, and seen videos by Youtube Survivalists, heaping praise on Voodoo and Condor as the working, family man’s answer to load-bearing equipment and survival! Guys will tell you they “train hard” with their gear, and they train daily, and it holds up just fine.

You know what I’m reasonably sure I’ve never seen? Anybody with actual combat deployments under their belt, recommending Condor or Voodoo. Gee, I wonder why? Is it because we’re all rich fuckers with gobs of discretionary income, that like to waste it on high-end gear for “tacticool fashion plates?” Or, is it because, having put our lives actually in harm’s way, where having decent equipment that functioned properly, actually made a fucking difference, we realize that cheap gear falls apart under actual real-world, hard use? Hell, quality gear falls apart under actual real-world, hard use!

I’m not independently wealthy. I’m not even dependently wealthy. By most economic metrics, I’m barely middle class (to be clear, I’m not bitching about that. It’s a choice. I know there are things far more important to my family’s quality of life than the balance of a checking account). I drive a 20 year old truck. I buy my clothes at the local thrift store. We built our house, by hand, ourselves, because we got a really nice house for less than $10,000, instead of paying $200K for something that is going to be falling apart in 20 years. I’m about as frugal as you get. Seriously, my biggest fault, spending wise, is my predilection for spending way more than I should at bookstores.

But, I don’t buy cheap holsters and load-bearing equipment, or survival gear. I don’t buy tools at Harbor Freight, counting on their lifetime, money-back guarantee.

When I read, or hear, a guy telling me he uses his Condor/Voodoo plate carrier “hard” in “training,” I can make two educated guesses, really quick: 1) this is a guy who doesn’t have any idea, whatsoever, what “hard training” is, and 2) his idea of training is mag dumps at 10 yards, counting “any hit, anywhere,” as “good enough.”

Seriously. Buying and “training” in Condor gear is the tactical preparedness equivalent of tossing a 10 pound bag of rice in your kitchen cabinet, and calling it “food storage.”<<<<<<<

So, again, and its been a journey for myself also, when Max or First Sergeant give a recommendation – LISTEN! or pay the consequences, maybe not now, not tomorrow but maybe, just maybe, your choice will fail when your life depends upon it…… HOPE IS NOT A PLAN

Lloyd
        Participant

Good info. I have bought and discarded a LOT of stuff over the years – rifles, optics, pistols, holsters, pouches, packs, slings, plate carriers, chest rigs, etc… The more you can learn from people who have tried and sh*tcanned, the better off you will be!

And, going along with the article, and with wheelsee’s comments – “training” with stuff as a “test” all depends on what KIND of training we’re talking about.

MVT Texas 2015-2020
          Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

GreenTip
          Participant

Buy once cry once is the real deal. Save a bit longer and get tried and true gear.

BradyBunch
            Participant

Goes with everything in life, from hammers to houses, and significant others (choose, don’t buy, quality). From clothes to furniture…last longer, look better, serve a lifetime.

BOCO should come from fathers as sage advise, but it seems each of us has to learn this behavior in order to prove it out. (Too bad Harbor Freight just opened up down in town :whistle: )

First Sergeant

Some people will never get it.

FILO
                Signal Out, Can You Identify
                Je ne regrette rien
                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Sitting Duck
                Participant

Don’t know what they don’t know. Too often quality is so rare, or unobtainable that the quality of quality is unknown. Lot of truth in the adage “good enough for who it is for”.

The HF effect is an interesting counter to BOCO. A HF tool is bought to get “A Job” done…not to complete a career and pass on to the next generation. Is your chance of getting out of the kill box of a well set up close ambush improved with $1000 of quality? Or hurt by being $100 from getting the good stuff when the lights went out forever and having nothing?

I was saving for a “good gas piston” AR when the SAFE act ended the possibility of buying anything but a mini14 or sks and 7rd mags (overturned to allow 10 and the police now promise not to arrest you if you have over 7rds in a 10rd mag). I’m currently stuck with a legal bolt action.

TC
                  Participant

You can have a repair kit and warranty but little good those do in the heat of the moment when something fails right when you need it most.

Doesn’t always have to be expensive either; mil surplus can be decent for cheap, depending.

tango
                    Participant

How about instead of complaining about people that probably aren’t reading this, we give them some direction using our experience?

Couple of ways that I know will help hammer home the importance of quality gear:
                      – Start backpacking. When you’re 3 miles in to a 12 mile hike and your feet are wrecked, pack is chewing your body up, and you’re carrying 75lbs for a single over night it won’t take long for perspective to shift.
                      – Build something. Any cool multi-use gadget will probably quickly fall by the wayside in favor of a purpose built piece of equipment.
                      – Get dirty. Throw yourself, your gear, and your gun all in the dirt. Which part stops working first? If you aren’t actually in the middle of nowhere when doing this, imagine that you are and try to figure out how you would solve that problem with no help.

Spoon
                      Participant

How about instead of complaining about people that probably aren’t reading this, we give them some direction using our experience?

This is what is frustrating to me. All people like me know is what gets perpetually thrown in your face… the crap ie 511, Blackhawk, Condor. I don’t see a lot of direction anywhere to who produces professional quality gear. This is why I was hoping Max could educate people while doing his gear reviews on YT and clearing the air a little bit. YT is full of garbage that people want to sell.

Max
                        Keymaster

@spoon – I just did 3 gear talks???

:scratch:

Spoon
                          Participant

I saw them! They are awesome. Good instruction… lots of stuff that I hope lots of people gain benefit from. I didn’t mean you weren’t doing it. I was actually referring to prior posts I had made encouraging you to do gear videos. It is very different to watch one of your gear videos (from the point of instruction) than to watch a typical gear review (buy this piece of equipment that my sponsor paid me to give a good review) They are fantastic, very against the grain of typical gear videos and I hope you continue them. The only thing I think you might want to consider is since you are making the video and you are the instructor you could use the opportunity to step onto your “soapbox” and try to drive it into peoples heads that obsessing about gear is ridiculous and strongly encourage them to get skills thru training. These people are generally good people but they are just consuming what is available. You are a skilled instructor and are uniquely qualified to set their brain straight.

Spoon
                            Participant

I just did 3 gear talks???

Do you enjoy doing them or is it something you have to force yourself to do?

tango
                              Participant

This is what is frustrating to me. All people like me know is what gets perpetually thrown in your face… the crap ie 511, Blackhawk, Condor. I don’t see a lot of direction anywhere to who produces professional quality gear. This is why I was hoping Max could educate people while doing his gear reviews on YT and clearing the air a little bit. YT is full of garbage that people want to sell.

Couple places to start:
                                https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/mvt-class-what-i-wore/
                                https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/basha-rigging-kit/
                                https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/building-a-basic-battle-rifle/
                                https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/what-do-i-need-to-bring-to-class-thread/
                                https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/fieldcraft/
                                https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/the-complete-load-out-for-training/
                                https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/cp-training-prep/
                                https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/rigging-your-kit-for-field-use/
                                https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/gear-prep/

Spoon
                                Participant

@tango Thank you sir. You are a gentlemen and a scholar.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.