Blog: Night Vision: Practical Gear Use 1 by Chris

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Night Operations Blog: Night Vision: Practical Gear Use 1 by Chris

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster
        Robert
        Participant

Excellent, thanks!

One of the followup questions someone asked was about the IR laser and will it show up to NV. Well, yes, and that’s why you shouldn’t leave it on for a long period of time. Ideally at night, with or without NV we should consider not staying in one position too long when shooting.

Often times without NV the only target indicator you may have is muzzle flash. Back in the long long ago, we learned to shoot at night by shooting at small lightsticks taped to targets. No illumination, no scopes of any kind, just using standard rifle sights.

Now as to the IR laser use- take your shot and then release the pad. Nothing special about that, but with people new to it’s use, they often leave it on way longer than necessary.

The guys in this video were not used to working with NV and the DBAL yet, notice how long before and after the shot the laser is left on. Also if you’ve never seen what an IR laser looks like through NV, this might prove helpful. Use it and release the touch pad.

Robert
          Participant

Chris

Any problem ‘splashing’ yourself with your own IR beam? That seems mounted so far back and in your work space that it may interfere with rifle manipulation or just patrolling. Any issues?

Robert
              Participant

Not as of yet.

It’s an AK, really nothing to manipulate right where it’s mounted. Doesn’t get in the way of magazine changing and the bolt is usually manipulated either over the top or going under the bottom.

The fat part in your hand below the thumb hits the paddle if you hold the gun normally as most do. You can manipulate the paddle with this but it’s sloppy compared to using your finger. Slide the hand back slightly and the finger is right there to manipulate the paddle.

There is no doubt a lot of these things are set up to run more easily on an AR platform.

Chris

ok, good info man, thanks!

RRS
                  Participant

Back in the mid 80s I think we had the PVS-7 goggles, could have been something simpler but all I can remember is after a five hour night drive across 29 Palms I had a huge head ache for a solid day after. I certainly hoped they improved them for you fellas who had to use them for a living.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.