Beekeepers: Are these worthy or junk?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Farming and Ranching Beekeepers: Are these worthy or junk?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Groundwork
      Participant
        wigeon
        Participant

Great idea, but for me I will not ever use them. When bees fill their cells with honey, they cap them off, to protect the honey for later usage. When they need it, they just cut the cap off and extract they honey. Would like it if you filled your refrigerator and the next time you opened the door it was empty? I also feel that keepers will start extracting more honey than they should and causing more harm to the hive. Of course if you are a beekeeper, then you know, you should always leave enough honey for the bees to survive. Just my thoughts.

Robert
          Participant

Eeeeh, no. I think I’ll stick with the standard setup.

You want to be able to take your hive “apart” and check your supers and see if you even can or should “rob” honey. Our hives have sucked the last two years, we haven’t pulled honey. We probably could have and totally screwed the bees, but that’s not really sustainability.

Just like with rifles, it’s always a good thing to stay with standard parts as well.

Keeper
            Participant

Eeeeh, no. I think I’ll stick with the standard setup.

me too

RotorHead
              Participant

No way. We “take” honey twice a year, but always select the frames (with no brood) and make sure the hive has enough to manage the weather and blooms. Could we take more honey, probably, but a healthy hive is more important than more honey (in the long run). As it is our three hives produced almost 70 lbs of honey this year.

HiDesertRat
                Participant

Very pricey indeed. Also it is important to inspect your hive frequently for assessing the health of your hive and not sure how this design affects that, plus for other reasons stated above. You might want to look at top bar hives as well since were on the topic of other designs other than the Langstroth design most all know.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.