Basha Rigging Kit

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Max. This post has been viewed 147 times
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      tango
      Participant

I’ve been tinkering a little bit with shelter setup and this is the hardware I carry to setup my basha. You don’t need all of it all the time but there should be enough there that you have enough options to make it quick and easy. Very light kit, very quick setup/breakdown, strong enough, and very few moving parts.

4 x Nite Ize Small Figure 9 Carabiner, with lines
        2 x Nite Ize #3 S-Biner
        1 x Nite Ize Cam Jam XT
        4-6 x Titanium Stakes – replace the orange cord with your favorite color of gutted paracord.
        1 x Hank of paracord, 30-50ft, just enough to reach to that last place that’s always 2 feet beyond your longest cord.

Just passing along the knowledge. Not sure if you get to see this on Combat Patrol (HEAT 2) anymore?

riflemaniv
        Participant

How do you feel the paracord works over bungees attached to the corners? I have been using the 36” bungees that optactical sells. I removed one of the hooks and tied that end to the corners of my basha. Worked quite well at CP with a fast setup. I’m glad you shared this as I’m always look to streamline my gear an make it easier to use.

BrigandActual
          Participant

I use roughly the same kit for either my poncho or DD 10×10 tarp:

– 1 x 50 foot hank paracord
            – 4 x 4 foot length paracord, pre-tied bowline knots on the ends
            – 2 x 8 foot length paracord, pre-tied bowline knots on the ends
            – 4 x MSR Groundhog stakes

I tend to use the adjustable grip hitch for tightening things up on the stakes. For the ridgeline, I’ll use an Evenk knot on one end (or a bowline with a toggle set for quick release), and a trucker’s hitch on the other for tightness.

An alternative to paracord that’s picked up popularity in the bushcraft crowd is #36 bank line from the Catahoula Manufacturing Company. It’s 350 lb test instead of 550, but it is significantly less bulky, lighter, ties knots better, and doesn’t stretch.

Corvette
            Participant

Learn to tie proper knots, and that way you will have no difficulty undoing your line, even if wet.

Virgil Kane
              Participant

Learn to tie proper knots, and that way you will have no difficulty undoing your line, even if wet.

I was thinking similar. The simple Taut Line Hitch works great. It cuts down on weight and shit to keep up with. In my AO the stakes aren’t necessary, but I do have them packaged with my basha.

trailman
                Participant

I’ve been tinkering a little bit with shelter setup and this is the hardware I carry to setup my basha. You don’t need all of it all the time but there should be enough there that you have enough options to make it quick and easy. Very light kit, very quick setup/breakdown, strong enough, and very few moving parts.

4 x Nite Ize Small Figure 9 Carabiner, with lines
                  2 x Nite Ize #3 S-Biner
                  1 x Nite Ize Cam Jam XT
                  4-6 x Titanium Stakes – replace the orange cord with your favorite color of gutted paracord.
                  1 x Hank of paracord, 30-50ft, just enough to reach to that last place that’s always 2 feet beyond your longest cord.

Just passing along the knowledge. Not sure if you get to see this on Combat Patrol (HEAT 2) anymore?

From boy scouts, these get used a lot, and they are versatile

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HN6CX8

Learn knots, taut line and a bowline, only knots you’ll ever need, especially to tie a Christmas tree to the roof of your car. KISS tops cold, tired, dark and hungry.

tango
                  Participant

Knots are cool but invariably they take time, get tangled, use up cord length, and generally create more problems than they solve for me. A Figure 9 Carabiner can be wrapped and unwrapped is about as much time as it takes to read this sentence with no special skills.

I started out on this venture with bungee style stuff. Shock cord, S-biners, and more knots. Shock cord/bungee is heavier and bulkier than the light cord I have here. I never could get my basha as tight as I wanted because the other cords always stretched. Placing it as an overhang was a nightmare with 15 adjustments trying to get all the cords the same tension so it would end up in the right place. Elastic cords in windy times allowed too much flapping around. Bungees aren’t bad but they’re not great.

I don’t tie knots at the setup site. My lines are pre-set with a small double overhand loop on one end and that’s it. Either I clip to that loop or feed the bite back through it to create a loop around something else.

If this were just mucking about doing survivalist/bushcraft/boyscouts stuff then just carry a bunch of paracord and tie knots.

trailman
                    Participant

Knots are cool but invariably they take time, get tangled, use up cord length, and generally create more problems than they solve for me. A Figure 9 Carabiner can be wrapped and unwrapped is about as much time as it takes to read this sentence with no special skills.

I started out on this venture with bungee style stuff. Shock cord, S-biners, and more knots. Shock cord/bungee is heavier and bulkier than the light cord I have here. I never could get my basha as tight as I wanted because the other cords always stretched. Placing it as an overhang was a nightmare with 15 adjustments trying to get all the cords the same tension so it would end up in the right place. Elastic cords in windy times allowed too much flapping around. Bungees aren’t bad but they’re not great.

I don’t tie knots at the setup site. My lines are pre-set with a small double overhand loop on one end and that’s it. Either I clip to that loop or feed the bite back through it to create a loop around something else.

If this were just mucking about doing survivalist/bushcraft/boyscouts stuff then just carry a bunch of paracord and tie knots.

Your right, much too important. Until you can’t find, dropped, lost your carbiner majik gadget thingy.

hellokitty
                      Participant

I just have bungees attached to my tarp at 5 points (corners and on top if you have attachment. If no attachment in middle then I use 2 bungee middle edge opposite each other.) you should be able to string it up and tear down in seconds not minutes.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                        HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                        FOF X3
                        OPFOR X2
                        CLC X2
                        RIFLEMAN

Corvette
                        Participant

Technology is no substitute for fieldcraft.

trailman
                          Participant

:good:

Technology is no substitute for fieldcraft.

winter_is_coming
                            Participant

Any recommended youtubes or other videos re Basha set up – I would like to see some of the suggested systems in action. Thank you in advance for good/wise Basha set up video recommendations!

Max
                              Keymaster

Best set-up for a basha is bungee cord tied to each corner, plus one on each end of the ridge. Carry some tent stakes. Depending on your location, you may need to carry some short poles, or cut sicks, if trees are at a premium.

Remember that a basha should be set up low to the ground and will be taken down before stand-to, unless exceptional circumstances. Like really heavy rain. It’s really about daytime visibility.

Knots and string is not cool.

Basha set up is actually really simple. Just stretch the ridge out between trees using the two bungee cords. Then peg down the 4 corner bungees. That gives you a low to the ground basha that will sleep two people.

If no, or one, tree. Use a tent pole / stick at the treeless ridge end, and peg the bungee down.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.