Badlands Ultra Day Pack

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Gear and Book Reviews Badlands Ultra Day Pack

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

As mentioned in the Thread “Welcome to the Jungle” I am currently evaluating; keeping with my interpretation the Lite Patrol Pack giving the MVT gear philosophy, the Badlands Ultra Day Pack.

Badlands excerpt:

The Badlands Ultra Hunting Day Pack is exactly what the name implies – the lightweight day pack built with every possible scenario in mind, so you’re carrying everything on your back except worry. With more pockets than you can count, a “possibles pouch” with waterproof zipper and a Hypalon hands-free bow belt, the Ultra Day Pack has tons of features that will contribute to your next successful excursion into the field. An added bonus not found elsewhere in the Badlands lineup is a “Glove Box” found in the bottom of the pack for those of us who crave organization, storage or a place to hide your unmentionables. Beat it up, use it and abuse it – the Ultra Day is covered by our legendary Unconditional Lifetime Warranty.

Speaking of warranty’s. I believe warranty’s are of somewhat limited value given what most of us are preparing for, though it does speak well of their belief in the quality of Badlands gear.

Warranty excerpt:

Badlands Legendary Warranty

We don’t care what happened, or whose fault it was, we will fix it for free forever. We could care less if you bought it at a garage sale or a gear swap, as long as it says Badlands, it’s covered. All we ask is that you use and abuse your pack as much as possible so we can learn how to make our products even better.

However, the pack must be repairable, if you throw it in a fire,-with the expectations that sort of craftiness will yield you a brand new pack – that is incorrect. In all honesty, we have seen it all and we understand accidents happen and if it is legit we will always do our best to find you a replacement pack from our demo fleet.

Badlands has always been known for having the best warranty in the hunting industry bar none. As a matter of fact, since we began in 1994 we have built our business around exceeding our customer’s expectations.

Q: My pack needs warranty work, will it be repaired or will I get a brand new one?

A: Our warranty was designed to keep your pack in the field for as many years as possible and also to demonstrate our willingness to stand behind our products for the long haul. It was not designed to be a “free upgrade program”. Therefore, this is our one caveat (as stated in the warranty). “We will repair your pack for free, forever, no matter whose fault it is, no questions asked”, sounds like a square deal to us. A few things you need to know here; in most cases it probably cost less to replace a pack than it does to disassemble and repair it. The other thing is; it is now and always has been our intention to do right by our customers, period. This a company founded on treating people as we would like to be treated ourselves. Therefore, if it is a case where the product should be replaced, it will be done promptly and without whining. If it makes more sense under the circumstances to repair it, that will be done. Either way, we do it on our dime.

Q: Are there times when you can just send me the parts I need so I do not have to send in my whole pack?

A: Yes, if you simply have a broken buckle or some other piece of hardware it will save both of us a lot of pain to just mail you the parts you need. Please take a look at our parts listing on the website it will help you choose the right pieces

Q: So if I understand correctly; you will do all this work on my Badland’s Pack for free, even though I have abused it and it is clearly my fault?

A: Yes, what can we say we like to be abused.. However, high as it may be, we do have a threshold for pain. The deal is, we do all the work and fix things for free, but you pay for the cost to ship the pack round trip. Seems like a square deal to us, if it doesn’t to you, please give us a call and we will patch you through to another pack company who will do the repairs for free. Oh we can’t, because there isn’t one.

So please enclose a check or money order in the amount of $12.00 and your pack will be back on your doorstep before you know it.

Technology excerpt:

KXO-32™ Fabric

Badlands KXO-32 fabric is the strongest, quietest, most waterproof material in the hunting world. How do we know? Because we tried 31 different combos before we finally got it right! Soft, supple, quiet…everything you’ve always wanted in a hunting pack…and a mate but, that’s a debate for another time.

Hypalon
        Let’s face it….You put a lot of stress on your hunting gear. As you should! Certain areas of your pack are bound to take more abuse than others. Through a scientific process we call “beating the living hell out of it” we found these “high stress areas” and added reinforcements. Hypalon is one of the highest strength, yet flexible materials known to man and we had to have it. We bought up the world’s supply and use it on all high stress areas on all Badlands packs. Why go the extra mile you may ask? Because at Badlands the giving never stops.

Aramid Bartacking
        Aramid fibers are fibers in which the chain molecules are highly oriented along the fiber axis so the strength of the chemical bond can be exploited. What does that mean? Well…we’re not sure exactly but we do know that one strand of this thread can lift 110 lbs so we don’t really care! Yes, all of the yellow bar-tacks you see on our packs are aramid thread and no, yellow isn’t our favorite color. These fibers are so strong and dense that they can’t even be dyed another color. At least it’s not pink….

Hypervent™
        Any endurance athlete or mechanic for that matter will tell you that the biggest threat you face when it comes to performing at peak levels is HEAT. It depletes your body of energy faster than any other factor. Badlands Hypervent Technology was designed to allow high volumes of air to pass between you and your pack. This allows you to stay cool and dry in even the most extreme environments and stay at those peak performance levels longer. Badlands Hypervent packs were also designed to wrap around your body’s shape and work with your body’s natural movement instead of against it. The result is long lasting comfort, increased stamina, reduced sweat and even reduced odor. Your friends will thank you….your prey will not.

Dupont DWR
        You hear the term all the time in hunting equipment – “DWR.” But do you know what it stands for? Durable Water Repellent. At Badlands we use only the best DWR on our apparel. We know nature can be a seriously fickle and frustrating lady so you need to be prepared. Dupont® Teflon fabric protector repels moisture, dirt, stains, oils and perhaps most importantly for you – blood. It’s kind of like magic – watch it bead up and roll off. Hey, if it’s good enough for your pots and pans, it’s good enough for your hunting clothing!

Waterproof?
        Here’s the thing; there is a huge difference between Water Proof and Water Resistant. Any company who claims “water proof” but uses a sewing machine to produce their products -is leading you down the Primrose path. The fact is, even if the fabrics used during construction start out water proof (ours does) once you start punching holes in it with a needle and thread, it’s game over. The reason is: exposed thread acts like a small candle wick, slowly absorbing the water and pulling it into the pack. We go to great lengths to putting an end to this senseless absorption- by sealing and taping every seam on the pack. Yet, regardless of our valiant efforts “water resistant” is all that current technology allows for. That being said: take some precautions that will insure that your expensive electronics and cell phones do not turn into aquatic fatalities. If you are anticipating severe weather put these items into sealable dry bags, use a rain cover and spray the seams of your pack with an effective water proof treatment. Such as, the critically acclaimed and wonderful scent reducing waterproofing spray by Badlands (its our website we can plug ourselves if we want).

Relevant Specifications Excerpt:

Dimensions: 18″X14.5″X10″

Volume Main: 900 CI

Volume Total: 1800 CI (29L)

Fits Reservoir Size (liters): 3L

Total Weight: 3LB 3OZ

Rear Compression Straps

Vented Shoulder Straps

MSRP $159.95 (I found it for $110)

Badlands has been in business since 1994, their primary focus is on quality hunting gear.

Recently they have been making a modest line of Tactical packs. Currently Badlands is in the process of redesigning some of the tactical packs.

The Badlands Ultra Day pack is made in Vietnam. Many will have issues with this, but for me it comes down to simple economics and the features of this pack.

The quality of this pack is immediately evident.

After an initial look through examining all zippers and buckles for function as well as tears and such.

I then examine all seams. Checking the quality of stitching and any stray threads that could lead to frays (any found are melted secure).

I am happy to report all stitching was uniform and appropriate for all the areas, with very few stray threads. Critical areas are aramid bartacked and or Hypalon reinforced. All seams are finish taped.

The primary exterior material utilizes the KXO-32™ Fabric, this laminate is very quiet inside and out, feeling almost like velvet on the exterior. Water beads on this fabric. There is none of that typical nylon noise as brush rubs against it when moving through thick bush.

The five exterior pocket flaps are padded to protect contents and dampen any interior noise from movement.

The two vertical side pockets have mesh netting to prevent contents from spilling out when opened.

The two lower pockets also have such netting with four elastic keepers to secure items within.

The lower “Glove Box Pocket” has two zippered organizing mesh pockets.

The main flap has a vertical zippered pocket; again with a mesh barrier to prevent content loss, this pocket has a mesh barrier separating its contents from main compartment.

All of the zippers are reversed from typical standard, what is traditionally the outside of the zipper. These rough teeth are turned to the interior to limit debris and dirt accumulation. An ingenious idea.

The entry flap has a vertical pocket and its zipper has a thin Hypalon layer to aid in the prevention of water and dust entry.

There are also Hypalon hoods at the top of all vertical running zippers to shed water.

The main compartment has a mesh hydration pocket that has two clips for hanging a 3 liter hydration reservoir. In my case a 3 liter CamelBak HydroGuard reservoir fits nicely.

The compression straps are really not needed except; when really stuffing pack, to remove strain on zippers if at max capacity. Though they are effective for attaching something to the exterior of pack.

There are two straps on the bottom for attachment of additional items.

The “Hypervent Suspension Technology” consists of a flexible spring metal red frame and a mesh tensioner with top and bottom corner padding. It is removable and attaches to pack with nylon webbing pockets.

I modified this red frame by lightly sanding and spray painting it flat black after removing it, not a necessary modification, but I had spray paint so why not?

If I was really trying to keep the look right Coyote or OD would have been a better choice, but black is what I had on the shelf.

This frames simple method of providing airflow to the back is the primary reason for me purchasing this pack. In a less humid environment it would really keep your back dry, but for me here in Florida I still sweat. However the airflow does reduce greatly the heat build up of a traditional pack which can’t be underestimated here in Florida.

The Vented Shoulder Straps also help things breathe. The chest strap has a unique slide adjustment on a partial nylon tube.

The waist belt can be run behind Hypervent frame if not used/needed.

This pack hugs the body well and is very comfortable within the parameters of Max’s MVT gear philosophy.

I recommend a variety of dry bags and/or stuff sacks to organize gear into task specific groupings within.

So far I am very pleased with this pack, now it’s really just a matter of determining packs longterm durability.

I will update this as necessary.

Max
        Keymaster

I’m getting ready to do a video version of the gear philosophy post, probably next week. Although i have the karrimor 30L, i am seriously pushing small hydration carriers at about 15L. There was a discussion in the assault pack thread.

Not to say you will not have a use for a 30L pack, and it may come into play depending on mission & duration. In order to stay light though, you may have to dump plates for a lighter chest rig, although no doubt you are doing that already for your swamp environment?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’m getting ready to do a video version of the gear philosophy post, probably next week.

Looking forward to it. :good:

Going smaller on hydration carriers/packs makes a lot of sense, particularly since many find it difficult to not use all room available.

When kept to the basics the “Ultra Day” carries well and is hardly noticeable.

In order to stay light though, you may have to dump plates for a lighter chest rig, although no doubt you are doing that already for your swamp environment?

I am really looking at various options to deal with wearing plates in hot humid environments, both weight and heat build up are concerns. At least in Iraq/Afghanistan you use evaporative cooling to your advantage by periodic loosening to vent armor and weight was less of a concern.

My initial experiences with Jungle training (JEST in the Philippines and Camp Sherman in Panama) was before armor plates were in wide spread use.

At this point I am leaning towards limiting armor to specific operations, hardly an ideal situation.

The Badlands Reactor fits your 15L concept perfectly and is on sale for $49.99.

lucky_luke
            Participant

Joe, why dont you try the qore iceplate? it goes on underneath your plate carrier and thaws out throughout the day.

IcePlate: Drinkable Cooling

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Joe, why dont you try the qore iceplate?

Interesting concept, but even though you can drink water as it melts this represents extra weight I don’t need. I also question my ability to freeze much “Post-Event” (my most likely time to truly need rifle plates).

Thanks for bringing up a product I wasn’t aware existed. :good:

Andrew
                Participant

We were issued 2nd Chance Vests back in the day. A miserable experience trying to wear it will laying in on the Rio Grande River at night.

Search warrants during the day a whole different ball game.

The newer stuff is serviceable if you are in and out of a vehicle or not exerting yourself too much out in the west Texas desert. But, full daylight and out running a trail during the day is asking for heat stroke.

wheelsee
                  Participant

We put ice in our CamelBaks and filled with water. We wore under our Level 4 assault vests. Acted as a cooler against our backs. Worked well for 90-100F temps and humidity 70-95%. The longest we stayed out though was 8 hours with the majority being 3 hours. (SWAT, NW LA, 1990s)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

But, full daylight and out running a trail during the day is asking for heat stroke.

Yea I’ll keep looking for a solution, just don’t know if it exists yet. ;-)

I was thinking about my quest for additional ventilation/heat reduction.

The “Hypervent Suspension Technology” consists of a flexible spring metal red frame and a mesh tensioner with top and bottom corner padding. It is removable and attaches to pack with nylon webbing pockets.

Here are some pictures of the “Hypervent Suspension” removed from pack.

It wouldn’t be too difficult to retrofit this concept to other packs.

With some creativity there may even be a similar solution for plates and/or chest rigs.

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

We put ice in our CamelBaks and filled with water. We wore under our Level 4 assault vests.

I’ve done this with Eagle Industries Assault vests back in the day, but not under armor.

As stated before my supply of ice maybe interrupted “Post-Event.” ;-)

wheelsee
                        Participant

@Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Your answer might be here – http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/packs/reactor-hydration-day-pack

The reviewer is an ornithologist working in the Panama Canal Zone. He discusses the heat and humidity

Corvette
                          Participant

Better get it (The Badlands Hydration pack) now because they have been discontinued. They will sell them until the supply runs out.

JustARandomGuy
                            Participant

Interesting bag… If it’s as good quality as they make it out to be, in Realtree camo, down South it would actually be pretty “grey man” as a vehicle BOB…. B-) haha

I hate to say this, but, per the “Reactor” hydro bag up there, I think most folks here trying to use that (or similar items) as a daypack are going to be disappointed.
                              I’ve had a couple similar packs. They do not have enough room inside to fit much other than the bladder, and maybe a light raincoat.
                              They’re not a “hydro cargo” type pack, even like the Camelbak MULE (or whatever Max had in his gear pic), which will have more room for your stuff.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…in Realtree camo, down South it would actually be pretty “grey man” as a vehicle BOB…

Since I started wearing Realtree Xtra more often around my rural community the general consensus in passing is I am a avid hunter! :yes:

A far better image than “militia kommando” wannabe! ;-)

…I think most folks here trying to use that (or similar items) as a daypack are going to be disappointed.

It all depends on their expectations! Far too many are still trying to carry too much gear and this newbie mistake can’t be covered by their physical readiness. An honest assessment of whether that applies to you must be made.

My philosophy is the more knowledge and skill you have the less crap you need to accomplish your goals.

JustARandomGuy
                                Participant

It all depends on their expectations! Far too many are still trying to carry too much gear and this newbie mistake can’t be covered by their physical readiness. An honest assessment of whether that applies to you must be made.

My philosophy is the more knowledge and skill you have the less crap you need to accomplish your goals.

I totally agree- I just wanted to point out that those expecting any sort of extra room or versatility with an “enhanced bladder bag” like that are likely going to find it extremely limiting.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I totally agree-…are likely going to find it extremely limiting.

Most people need something to help limit them! ;-)

JustARandomGuy
                                    Participant

Most people need something to help limit them! ;-)

Ha, true- myself included. :scratch:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

A brief followup to my Badlands Ultra Day Pack with
                                        “Hypervent Suspension Technology!”

The increased airflow across my back is extremely helpful in my hot humid Florida weather!

You can not underestimate the difference compared to most modern pack designs. It is a startling contrast.

The ventilated straps aid in cooling and the KXO-32™ Fabric is quiet in the brush and doesn’t retain water adding additional weight during downpours and water crossings.

After over a year of heavy use it looks close to brand new.

Awesome pack for my AO!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yearly bump and relevant to the recent pack discussion. While most here do not have my specific considerations this will help those unfamiliar with understanding conversation in regards to jungle use.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.