Atv mounted “fire” (platoon minus) ttp’s , ideas

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Convoy Tactics (MOB/CTO) Atv mounted “fire” (platoon minus) ttp’s , ideas

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by farmer. This post has been viewed 167 times
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      boer
      Participant

Hi can someone give me some ideas about units using atv’s most of the info i have on motorised/mech units is old sadf 61mech stuff.

Most important :
        “never have less than 2 people per vehicle”
        But a buddy pair on an atv seems bunched up ?

But you can use half the number of atv’s and half the fuel :scratch: the problem for me is when you lose one atv you cant load a entire fire team one atv can you ? .i have seen a uk army unit using atv’s doing a break contact they were only one man per atv .i have also seen some atv’s with heavy weapons mounted seems better than man carried :scratch: my backround is anti pouching so i have some light infantry training . used pickups to get a blocking force in place all of that .
        the idea is to have the mobility of the old boerkommandos . anybody have ideas for a unit like this ?

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by boer.
        farmer
        Participant

What kind of ATV do you have? Some people use “ATV” to mean the newer UTV’s also. Some of the newer ATV’s like the Polaris XP Scrambler 1000 have enough seat room for 2 people. Older quads/ATV’s do not.

How big are the people? How much gear are you trying to haul? 2 6′-6’4″ , 225 poundish guys with gear might be tight on the newer, larger quads.

Your individual situation dictates your tactics. Texas tactics will differ than Virginia tactics due to terrain.

I know this is a modified version of the standard “It depends”, but I hope this gets you to thinking.

Also familiarity/skill with operating the ATV(s) in your group also.

boer
          Participant

Well i was hoping for some insight we have atv’s here 700 4×4 polaris and dirt bikes also i can buy some more atv’ at a good price if need be.my brother an i are very mechanical we could make it carry all 4 people .what i mean to ask is more on the lines of should we be use them has personnel carriers ig dismount a tactical bound away . :mail: or ifv fight through the target . :mail: “mission dependant”?

farmer
            Participant

My opinion is NOT to use them as personnel carriers. Anything you do to make them carry people will make the center of gravity too high. I think they would be better used to bring supplies to the fight & wounded away, like the example in Max’s books. Patriot Dawn/Patriot Rising.

Anyone else with ATV riding experience ? ?

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.