Attacks by Erwin Rommel

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Gear and Book Reviews Attacks by Erwin Rommel

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

This book covers the service of Field Marshall Erwin Rommel during WW1. It is written by him and covers all of the battles that he took part in. It is not so much an auto-biography as it is a textbook on leadership and tactics that is still very relevant today.

This version has sketch maps that were included in the original German language version that was first printed in 1937. At the end of each chapter it has notes that Rommel included that gives the main learning points from each battle. It is not dry and doesn’t read like a textbook.

I have had this for years and re-read every year or so.

If you have ever seen the movie “Patton”, this is the book that he is talking about when he says “You magnificent bastard, I read your book”. In the real world, Patton had almost memorized the book as it gave him insight into how Rommel thought and operated.

https://www.amazon.com/Attacks-Erwin-Rommel/dp/0960273603

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

gatlinggun
        Participant

A good book by a gifted leader of men. As I read his book I imagined how much those poor soldiers worked humping the water-cooled MG08 and its sled mount up and down the mountains of Italy.

RobRoy
          Participant

It was interesting to read, what was your TTP take away from it 1st?

First Sergeant

It was interesting to read, what was your TTP take away from it 1st?

Reconnaissance and how important it is. I have known this for years, but he re-enforces how important it is.

He was doing what today we call a close target recce.

With all of the modern technology of today, satellite photos, drones etc. nothing replace a man getting his eyes on target. That has saved my ass more than once.

FILO
              Je ne regrette rien
              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Billy
              Participant

Speaking of reconnaissance, is that new Recee class still in the works? I’m in if so!

RobRoy
                Participant

Thanks, that’s what I thought you would say as the primary take away, kind of thought MG placement would be in there as well.

First Sergeant

Thanks, that’s what I thought you would say as the primary take away, kind of thought MG placement would be in there as well.

You have to do the recce to know where to put the MG’s.

Speaking of reconnaissance, is that new Recee class still in the works? I’m in if so!

Still working on a POI so the class is not so long.

FILO
                    Je ne regrette rien
                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.