Are there AR uppers to avoid or to focus on?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Are there AR uppers to avoid or to focus on?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      leam
      Participant

I have a PSA (Palmetto State Arms) carbine style lower and would like to get a 223 upper. What I really want is reliable and good enough for classes. Maybe not getting laughed at, at least. 🙂 I do not want an SBR or a 1,000 yard tack driver.

Recommendations? Is the PSA lower something that just needs to be set aside, and get a “real gun”?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

No shortage of opinions out there.😉

Plenty already written here in forum.

Best bang for the buck is a Colt AR IMHO.

I would go with a LE6920OEM1 and choose your favorite furniture.

Here’s a picture and a link for one example for $770.00!

The Colt LE6920 features a 16.1″ chrome-lined barrel with a 1:7″ twist, an adjustable-post front sight. It has a matte black metal finish. This model has no furniture and is ready to customize with your drop-in handguard or rail system, buttstock, and rear buttstock, and rear sight optic.

Specifications:

Rate-of-Twist: 1:7″
      Muzzle: Muzzle Brake
      Barrel Description: Chrome-Lined

Colt LE6920

Look around you might find a better deal, but they go fast!

Hessian
      Participant

I’d take the PSA lower and use it for a ‘hobby’ build.

As Joe has mentioned just get a colt LE6920 OEM 1 as it is the best bang for buck out there. I wish they still offered the OEM 2. You could get the colt and a decent optic for the price of the more expensive brands like DD and Noveske.

TC
      Participant

If not Colt, check out uppers by Daniel Defense, BCM, and Sionics. My two ARs are Aero Precision lowers with factory-complete BCM uppers. If I had to get a third, I’d either get a Colt Combat Unit Carbine or another Aero lower with a 16″ BFH ELW 13″ MCMR BCM upper. My BCMs have yet to malfunction through 5-6k rounds. Fwiw.

First Sergeant

I have a PSA (Palmetto State Arms) carbine style lower and would like to get a 223 upper. What I really want is reliable and good enough for classes. Maybe not getting laughed at, at least. 🙂 I do not want an SBR or a 1,000 yard tack driver.

Recommendations? Is the PSA lower something that just needs to be set aside, and get a “real gun”?

Store the PSA lower.

Get a Colt 6920, go with the one Joe linked to.

You want a rifle chambered in 5.56, not .223.

Holy crap, why did the quote function give a smiley face that damned big?

FILO
      Signal Out, Can You Identify
      Je ne regrette rien
      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

veritas556
      Participant

Holy crap, why did the quote function give a smiley face that damned big?

Because it knew you were laughing at PSA 😉

leam
      Participant

That might be the way to go, at least at first. At this point I don’t know what I don’t know, and need to practice basic handling and manipulation. And then figure out the things I need to learn. A klunky AR that I can learn on cheaply might be the tool to get me ready to spend more on the right stuff.

JohnnyMac
      Participant

If you already have a psa lower, just keep using it, I doubt you’ll have any problems. As for an upper, previous recommendations are good.

The main issues I’ve seen are gas block issues, bolt issues and primers stuck in the feed ramp area. 1st SGT has seen it all though

First Sergeant

That might be the way to go, at least at first. At this point I don’t know what I don’t know, and need to practice basic handling and manipulation. And then figure out the things I need to learn. A klunky AR that I can learn on cheaply might be the tool to get me ready to spend more on the right stuff.

Spend the money on a Colt now. That is the rifle you need to learn on, not something subpar that could cause you issues.

While the lower may be fine, why take the risk.

With prices still low, now is the time to get a good rifle at a good price. The one Joe linked to is the best way to go.

FILO
      Signal Out, Can You Identify
      Je ne regrette rien
      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.