Another: "Your driving down the road and you find this……What do you do…???

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Multi Media Another: "Your driving down the road and you find this……What do you do…???

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Corvette
      Participant

Note: four cars slowed and then drove past them, and left them. So you stop….you discover….Now what do you do, for them….? Or any thoughts and/or observations.

And yes, Los’Anchorage is a drug shit-hole city.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2016/11/02/brothers-kidnapped-shot-left-for-dead-in-hatcher-pass-anchorage-man-charged/

DiznNC
        Participant

Boy this is some seriously sorry shit. We were stationed at Elmendorf AFB back in 1959-61. My Dad was involved with the DEW line up north. Back in those days, before the pipeline, Alaska was pristine. The old timers said it was just like the old frontier way back in the day. My Dad loved that shit, did two tours up there. There was some hard drinking, and whoring, and some violence, but nothing like this crap.

My memories of Alaska are of this beautiful wilderness, with ice frozen on the tree limbs, and northern lights running wild overhead. You know I think I’m finally that old codger that thinks the world needs a good enema to rid the planet of all these evil motherfuckers.

Corvette
          Participant

Anchorage is bad. I wont even shop at the Walmarts there. Ill go to the much more expensive food stores just to escape the brigands and scum of the earth that dwell in the low cost stores. I stay out of the north side and Mid town unless i have no choice..

Bergmann

Corvette
            Participant

Looking only at it from the prospective of the person who stopped to help……

I don’t know what the proper and safe way is to approach this, or if there even is a proper and safe way…….assuming you are alone.

It is so surreal, that it appears to be some type of trap.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So you stop….you discover….Now what do you do, for them….? Or any thoughts and/or observations.

This type of situation isn’t unheard of even many years ago, sometimes it is what it appears, sometimes it’s a ambush.

I’ll relate a situation that happened to me over twentyfive years ago.

I was Active Duty military, me and another service member were on our way back from a movie driving on an Interstate, exiting on to a clover leaf type offramp around 2300L with very little traffic.

I am driving and see a man laying in the road. I stopped and turned on my highbeams. I reversed back about twenty yards with my emergency flashers on. My friend asked me why and I said this might not be what it seems. Remember this is before cellphones were common. I opened the glove compartment and retrieved my loaded Ruger Security six .357 and two speedloaders and a flashlight, popped the trunk grabbed a Mossberg 500 12GA gave it to my companion to stay with vehicle while I approached man.

The man was breathing and a pulse, but reeked of alcohol. Returned to vehicle, called React on CB channel 9 for a LEO and Ambulance. Put 12 GA back in trunk and waited for response from LEO, when we heard LEO approach I returned .357 to glove compartment. Gave a statement and left without talking about my cautious approach.

Some would think I was paranoid back then.

I couldn’t care less and was raised to be helpful, but not stupid!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Looking only at it from the prospective of the person who stopped to help…

Today I would again get some distance with flashers on and call 911 first. I normally have two of my GSD’s with me, one would stay with vehicle, one would approach with me to evaluate situation.

Giving this situation I would administer first aid with GSD on guard after telling them to be still, warning my GSD will bite if needed.

Truly alone, it’s hard to say, if one was more ambulatory might direct him how to do self/first aid.

I wouldn’t leave without other factors and would at the minimum call for help.

Note: I always CCW today.

Corvette
                  Participant

I have had a hard time with this…..I do NOT have a cell phone, and I am always alone. I at first was disgusted with those who drove past, with no effort to help…..

But, I can’t find a semi-safe method of rendering help. Even if you stopped, you would not really know how many others were in the bushes, or if they really were shot.

The only two ideas I have come up with are waiting for someone else to be willing to stop and help, or I could throw out a survival sleeping bag and first aid kit, then drive to nearest town.

As isolated as that road is I am very surprised that any vehicles came past them at 4:AM in the winter.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I do NOT have a cell phone…

Get a cellphone (a hand me down is fine), you do not need to have a cellphone plan to make 911 (emergency) cellphone calls. So all you need is a charged cellphone without a plan and you can call 911.

If you can’t find someone to give you their old unneeded cellphone Walmart has a selection of pre-paid/no contract phones starting at $9.99!

Corvette
                      Participant

Not much cell-phone coverage in this area. And I very rarely drive on the roads anymore. I doubt that I drive much over 400 miles total per year.

I have a PLB in my primary backpack for personal emergency. Boots and backpack is my main travel method.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Well if free to a staggering $9.99 is too much! ;-)

Corvette
                          Participant

It is NOT the cost…….I am eligible for a New cell phone (FREE) and 100 minutes a month for free, if I wanted one. I just don’t have any need for a cell phone. I have got by OK for 70 years with no cell phone. Seems silly to get semi-dependent on a vulnerable high’tech system that I don’t need.

Well if free to a staggering $9.99 is too much!

Mike Q
                            Participant

I believe the point GWNS was trying to make was that simply having a phone in case of an emergency, as was evidenced by the initial post, is a good idea. If you don’t want the phone for anything other than an emergency then that fine. However, just like a firearm, I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it…

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

It is NOT the cost…

No kidding! ;-)

I just don’t have any need for a cell phone.

But this…

But, I can’t find a semi-safe method of rendering help.

…is the answer to your presented dilemma.

Seems silly to get semi-dependent on a vulnerable high’tech system that I don’t need.

So all you need is a charged cellphone without a plan and you can call 911.

I wouldn’t call having a cellphone without a plan dependent on anything and while you don’t need it, the random victim (that you posted on) may need it.

Consider it or don’t, I am happy to inform others that they don’t need cell service to make 911 calls!

Corvette
                                Participant

Sorry…..I just don’t see how that is an answer. If there is not cell service in this area.

But this…

Albert Johnson wrote:

But, I can’t find a semi-safe method of rendering help.

…is the answer to your presented dilemma.

Corvette
                                  Participant

Balks at cell phones, yet obviously on teh interwbz… :scratch:

Corvette
                                    Participant

Yes, I understand…….However, I only get in my truck and drive to town for supplies “TWICE” a year. If you only used your vehicle twice a year would you bother with a cell phone strictly for your vehicle only and strictly for emergency only.

I would be more likely to need a cell phone in my Outhouse, than in my truck.

I was hoping for some useful ideas on how others would approach them….safely.

I believe the point GWNS was trying to make was that simply having a phone in case of an emergency, as was evidenced by the initial post, is a good idea. If you don’t want the phone for anything other than an emergency then that fine. However, just like a firearm, I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it…

Corvette
                                      Participant

Yes……one is useful for my needs and it works most of the time. Easy to balk at cell phone if there is zero cell coverage in this area. Even my land phone is delivered to me by microwave.

Balks at cell phones, yet obviously on teh interwbz…

Corvette
                                        Participant

If you only use your truck twice a year, how do you keep your battery charged?

Wait, you said you walk everywhere. Didn’t you say you were a bush pilot on another thread?

Corvette
                                          Participant

Yes….”Was” a “Bush Pilot” for 34 years, and now retired from that.

I use my truck around the homestead, much as a farmer might use a truck for farming. However I do take the Two batteries out in the winter, when and if I am snowed in, and the only road is closed.

If you only use your truck twice a year, how do you keep your battery charged?

Wait, you said you walk everywhere. Didn’t you say you were a bush pilot on another thread?

Rowland
                                            Participant

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article111761007.html

Similar type event here. The lady was shot but then got out of her car and was just standing on the corner bleeding while cars drove by. Eventually two cars pulled over and called 911. Some folks thought it was a Halloween prank and kept driving. Could have been a prank or an ambush or just a hurt lady.

DiznNC
                                              Participant

Again, sorry bullshit. When I was up there, you always stopped for anyone that needed help, it was just what you did. The psychos took advantage of that and now we have the world we live in.

Last time I was there, the ALCAN highway was all gravel. You carried at least two spare tires, and usually went through them both before gassing up. When you saw people broke down you stopped and made sure they were all right. You gave them a ride to the next town if they needed it.

GI’s in uniform were always given a ride in my old man’s car. Didn’t matter how crowded it was.

We had this sense of community back then. That is sadly lacking today.

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.