Ammo Selection

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Ammo Selection

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

This post is the one that I mentioned in the HEAT .5 Observations post.

Had a couple of malfunctions at class that I wanted to cover.

The first one happened during the bolt over ride malfunction drill. What happened is that the bullet gets pushed into the case and the powder dumps out into the chamber. When that happens the bolt will not go in to battery. To clear it you need a chamber brush, cleaning rods and a toothbrush. This is the malfunction that I had with my new rifle.

This can be prevented with proper ammo selection. Buying ammo that is crimped. That means using some variation of M193. That is why I had the malfunction happen to me. I was using Federal .223 which is not crimped.

The second malfunction was a bolt over ride on a students rifle.

The malfunction drills we teach are designed to get your rifle back in action as quick as possible. You still have to use your head because Murphy gets a vote. If the drill doesn’t fix it right away you need to evaluate why.

The pictures attached show what the round looked like when I finally got it out. I had to use a multi tool to clear the malfunction. That is one of the main reasons that I carry one on my battle belt.

This also shows why you don’t use steel cased ammo. If this had been steel I could not have bent and crushed the round to get it clear.

I normally use M193 for training and keep the M855 for SHTF. I zero my rifles with M855. The zero shift with M193 is not enough to make a difference.

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

First Sergeant

Second pic.

FILO
          Je ne regrette rien
          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Robert
          Participant

1stSGT- was this when specifically working those drills or just during normal firing?

Do you mean crimped as in the bullet seated and crimped in place? Was it perhaps just a bad round that wasn’t crimped at the factory?

I will say this one time publicly- I’ve been following your instructions as far as cleaning and lubing the AR and the cheap M&P I bought has worked about 99% efficiently- I can only remember about one jam. It only has maybe 4K rounds or less through it, but so far so good.

The moral of the story is even an AK user can follow these instructions and get good results LOL :good: So listen up folks!!!

First Sergeant

1stSGT- was this when specifically working those drills or just during normal firing?

Do you mean crimped as in the bullet seated and crimped in place? Was it perhaps just a bad round that wasn’t crimped at the factory?

I will say this one time publicly- I’ve been following your instructions as far as cleaning and lubing the AR and the cheap M&P I bought has worked about 99% efficiently- I can only remember about one jam. It only has maybe 4K rounds or less through it, but so far so good.

The moral of the story is even an AK user can follow these instructions and get good results LOL :good: So listen up folks!!!

Working the malfunction drills.

Yes, the bullet crimped in the case.

FILO
              Je ne regrette rien
              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Healthhokie
              Participant

The 2nd pic the 1st Sgt posted is PMC X-Tac 55gr FMJ-BT. The ammo the other students was using was coming apart in the bolt override malfunction drill and leaving powder in the chamber.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.