Ambush Patrol

View Latest Activity

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnnyMac
      Participant

In my prepatory study for the up coming CLC, I found a student handout from the Marine Corp. basic officer course discussing the ins and outs of the ambush patrol. It’s very detailed and while not everything is applicable (SAWs and claymores), it’s given me some additional insights and a play-by-play. I hope others find it helpful.

http://www.trngcmd.marines.mil/Portals/207/Docs/TBS/B2H0373XQ-DM Ambush Patrol.pdf

Robert
        Participant

Tug cords and count downs. :good:

tango
          Participant

That would have been sweet to read before taking CP. Good base knowledge.

Max
            Keymaster

Actually I’m not sure why. As usual with some of these military publications, they over complicate things. MVT has always striven to not only make tactics civilian applicable, but bring relevant experience. As Tommy said at the SF class, or something similar, we have a knack of simplifying the operation into what it needs to be, not the mukti-layered complication the military often creates.

I would stick with what is written in Contact, and what is taught at CP, if I were you.

We could always pull out the Ranger Handbook as well, for good measure. I would tell you the same. Chris was a Ranger Instructor and we were always on the same page, regardless of different routes to get there. And we never over complicate at MVT.

tango
              Participant

Over complicated compared to what you teach? Yes. But having a base understanding of at least the overarching scheme of things with some non-civilian jargon digested before attending is helpful. Smaller bites to comprehend in class.

Where’s that MVT Handbook at? ;-)

Max
                Keymaster

When I get irritated reading my own forum, it’s time to change the subject and move on.

B-)

JohnnyMac
                  Participant

For the record, Contact sits on my dining room table and most nights after dinner I’m reading though things (again).

Mike H
                    Participant

I come down on the side of refreshing with “Contact” before MVT classes and that being your pre-study prior to arrival.

As someone that attends lots of work related trainings ….this will eliminate a lot of confusion during times of stress, fatigue, and dealing w/ illiness/injury while you’re at class.

I just got back from a training this week that had attendees from multiple agencies and when it came to the final exam I had problems sorting through material taught, our agency policies, and all the differences others have. Came down with a stomach bug while in class and that also contributed to not doing as well as I should have.

In summary I would stick to the prep work Max lays out for each class.

wheelsee
                      Participant

Strictly from an observational perspective- you don’t know what you don’t know (YDKWYDK)

IME, Most agency policies are designed to protect them legally. As such, the language is convoluted and many times does not make sense to the layperson.

Try the experiment of 2 people, back to back – 1 describing a geometric picture, the other drawing. Then look at the drawing….how closely does it resemble the original.

Max does an excellent job of taking a concept and making it simple, even though my brain wants to over-complicate it…..and, yes, I was a member of Team Retard….. :wacko:

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.