A Force Multiplier – The Belt-fed AR15 Part 2

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons A Force Multiplier – The Belt-fed AR15 Part 2

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      gatlinggun
      Participant

The MCR with a standard 30 round magazine. Unlike the M249, which apparently damages magazines, the MCR feeds from either magazines or belts with no issues. (figure 11)

The nutsack adapter. This fits into the mag well and allows the use of standard M249 100 or 200 round nutsacks. It is locked in place by the mag release and care must be taken to keep from inadvertently pressing it, ejecting the adapter and the nutsack. (figure 12)

The MCR with a 100 round nutsack. The belt is loaded with four M855 ball to one M856 tracer. This gun is fitted with an Echo 2 binary trigger. In binary mode it will fire once on the trigger pull and once on the release. If you are going to use a binary trigger then get the MCR with a full-auto bolt carrier. Depending on how fast the trigger is manipulated I estimate 400 rounds per minute can be attained (cyclic rate). This is about half of the cyclic rate of a full-auto M249. Not bad for a semi-auto! Now we’re in the realm of a light machine gun. (figure 13)

Another shot of the belt. The feed cover latch is the coolie-hat just to the rear and above the folded charging handle. The optic is a Hi-Lux Micro-max B-dot. This inexpensive sight endured almost 1000 rounds of 7.62×51 through a FNFAL clone at a combat team tactics class at MVT in 2015 and is still going strong five years later. Yes, its made in China, but so is your smartphone! The MCR comes with a rear sight but I removed it because it was distracting to use the red dot sight with the rear sight in place. (figure 14)

Right side of the MCR showing the standard starter tab in place on the feed tray. The Echo 2 trigger comes with an ambi safety. I think all binary triggers have them. I’m not thrilled about this so I’ve trained myself to ignore the lever on the right side. The lower receiver is an 80% that I finished (I’m a machinist) and marked. The selector markings are SAFE, SEMI, and BINARY. Now all it needs is a coat of camo paint and an IR laser! (figure 15)

My gear setup for the belt-fed (figure 16). The plate carrier is a First Spear AAC. There are two 100 round SAW pouches on the front of the PC, one 100 round SAW pouch under my left arm, and a Tactical Tailor pouch for two 30 rounders under my right arm. This is my “I’m out of linked ammo and the world has gone to hell” emergency backup. Or I can give them to my battle buddy if he is low on ammo. The ammo load is 460 rounds with 360 on the PC and 100 on the gun. I may also consider another 100 round belt in my day pack plus distributing belts among squad members. Who is bringing the resupply?

The battle belt left to right: two pistol mags; utility pouch for weapons spares, oil (Slip 2000!), rear sight, etcetera; blow out kit with Israeli dressing and trauma shears; Glock 19 in a Tactical Tailor holster; and a CAT in a holder.

In the future, I plan on adding a zip on assaulter’s pack on the back of the PC and some GT plates. I have a small day pack that serves currently. As I’ve only had the MCR a couple of months my gear is getting a total revamp to support it.

In reading the SAW manual, FM 23-14, the best use of the MCR is as an automatic rifle. This means short 3-5 round bursts (4-6 for a binary trigger) with a couple of seconds between each burst. That way the barrels don’t overheat as quickly and the ammo supply lasts a bit longer. There are plenty of videos online of “Bubba-wills-it” belt dumps with both binary triggers and true full-autos. Maybe the Bubbas in the videos were repelling massed frontal assaults by people who don’t shoot back!!?? :wacko:

In the interest of full disclosure the MCR belt-fed upper receiver is EXPENSIVE. I paid $4,429 for mine in December of 2019.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool FNFAL nut. At one point I had six high-end DSA SA58s (the SA58 is an FAL clone) in the safe and I had amassed a supply of upwards of 25,000 rounds of NATO surplus 7.62x51mm including “specialty” ammo. My thinking was that I’d eventually have enough to equip a full squad. But in the land of the AR15 NO ONE is going to set aside his beloved AR for a heavy, but still capable, FAL. So I sold all but one FAL and 10,000 rounds of ammo and bought the MCR upper. If I was going to join the AR crowd then I wanted something that is badly needed as a force multiplier.

I think the MCR belt-fed upper receiver is the most innovative thing that has been developed for the M16/M4/AR15 in the last 40 years.

If you haven’t considered filling the support weapon void in your group you should strongly consider a MCR belt-fed upper as a force multiplier.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Socks
        Participant

That is a wicked loadout! :good:
          Although, I remember you were there with your FAL at my first class and I have to say I would love to have one of those DSAs, ammo expense though….

Anonymous
          Inactive

No way in hell I’d ever be able to afford that before the next bans kick in but damn having that kind of a tool in a fireteam of civvies during the Boog sounds sick. Great work.

JohnnyMac
            Participant

I’ve heard reports of some lemons. How many rounds do you have through it? Any malfunctions?

Lloyd
              Participant

I’ve thought about building something like this with a heavier than std barrel, and Fostech trigger, but using Magpul D60 mags instead of belts.

Any issues with the Fostech trigger? I had a Franklin BSF3 for a while… Never very reliable, and ended up broken and tossed in the garbage after less than 1,000rds.

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

If you are going to use a binary trigger then get the MCR with a full-auto bolt carrier.

I’ve looked at this in the past, but never proceeded beyond the basic overview. I wondered about the possibility of binary trigger use, so it’s interesting to know it can be done.

I have some limited trigger time on a later Shrike version on a fullauto lower. It was quite an experience.

Thanks for doing this write up. :good:

JohnnyMac
                  Participant

Franklin BSF3 for a while… Never very reliable,

This!! What an expensive POS. My trial of that trigger proved I’d rather have a geiselle trigger. It’s almost as fast, but better accuracy and conservation of ammo.

Lloyd
                    Participant

I’d rather have a geiselle trigger. It’s almost as fast, but better accuracy and conservation of ammo.

Ditto. :good:

Not sure about the whole belt-fed thing, but a Geissele SSA-E is super easy to accidentally bump fire 3-4 rounds when the rifle is rocking back and forth on a bipod. I’ve never really tried to do it on purpose, though.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by Lloyd.

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                      Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

JustARandomGuy
                      Participant

I’ve thought about building something like this with a heavier than std barrel, and Fostech trigger, but using Magpul D60 mags instead of belts.

Any issues with the Fostech trigger? I had a Franklin BSF3 for a while… Never very reliable, and ended up broken and tossed in the garbage after less than 1,000rds.

That was actually a plan of mine for a while too; sort of an IAR/M27 clone, with either a binary trigger (or other) and D60s, and treat it as a B.A.R. type role. But the extra weight + reshuffle of gear needed to carry the drums (plus poor use of space, considering you can carry a 100rd belt in the same space as a 60rd drum) nixed that quickly, since you can already do 90% of that with a standard-barreled AR and standard 30rd mags. :unsure:

I really dig the idea of the Shrike/MCR upper though, despite some of it’s limitations/quirks.I admit I too had quite forgotten about it until I saw MAC’s video a while back.
                        Will also be interested to hear how the Fostech trigger works out long term as well.

Hessian
                        Participant

I agree that the Magpul 60rd takes up the same amount of webbing space as a 100rd belt.

There is the option of the Magpul 40rd magazines. This could work well in a AR with a 20″ barrel and a bipod. For those who don’t have the available funds for a belt fed AR.

I am curious to see how this does in say HEAT 1 or 2 class.

Anonymous
                          Inactive

I agree that the Magpul 60rd takes up the same amount of webbing space as a 100rd belt.

There is the option of the Magpul 40rd magazines. This could work well in a AR with a 20″ barrel and a bipod. For those who don’t have the available funds for a belt fed AR.

I am curious to see how this does in say HEAT 1 or 2 class.

Maybe the 60-round ATI mags? They seem to have a similar profile to 30 rounders, just wider, which would allow the use of double mag pouches instead of a SAW pouch. Don’t know how reliable they are, though, I don’t have any working experience with them.

Planning to grab more lowers before any panic kicks off again, making a civvie IAR has been something I’ve thought about since I focused on my making my first AR a lightweight carbine.

gatlinggun
                            Participant

I’ve heard reports of some lemons. How many rounds do you have through it? Any malfunctions?

I have about 200 rounds through so far (just enough to get it broken in). No problems with either the upper or the trigger. I’ve been extremely busy in the shop of late. Once warmer weather gets here and my workload is a bit less I’ll wring it out and report back. The goal, at some point, is to bring to a HEAT 1/2 at MVT and really wring it out in a simulated combat environment.

I have heard of problems with the uppers but I think Fightlite has them worked out. Most of the bad press I’ve read was from years ago. We’ll see!

If you are going to use a binary trigger then get the MCR with a full-auto bolt carrier.

I’ve looked at this in the past, but never proceeded beyond the basic overview. I wondered about the possibility of binary trigger use, so it’s interesting to know it can be done.

:good:

Joe, I didn’t know/think it could be done either until I saw a couple of videos where guys were shooting them with the Echo 2 trigger. Based on that I thought I’d take a chance. Its only money, right??!!

As far as maintenance issues I think this will be much like a standard AR except for the fact that is isn’t direct impingement. It’ll still require the same amount/frequency of lube.

As far as the “higher” capacity mags go, I don’t own any, but I have a buddy with one of the 60 round drums. I’ll try to borrow it and see how it works.

Stay tuned.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.