7.62×39 8M3 "Effect" vs glass?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Ammunition 7.62×39 8M3 "Effect" vs glass?

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by dnb. This post has been viewed 114 times
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      Participant

Hello Everyone,

Tula started their 8M3 production back up after a ~25 year pause.

Details on the round/backstory here:

The Return of the 8M3 Effect Bullet

The vid at the link shows testing of the 8m3 in gel to see what that stuff does. It depicts a 1.5 inch neck, a cavity of approximately 6 inches in diameter, with fragments, jacket, and lead all blowing apart, with the core of the round penetrating to around 14.5″. You would have to try very hard to describe more optimal performance in ballistic gel than that. Unfortunately that’s as far as the tests go and there isn’t any info on how the round reacts when striking glass. I contacted the seller, SGammo, but no joy there. Any thoughts from those more informed on things bullet than I? I know it’ll penetrate but wonder if the round will still be largely intact or will the fragmentation be well under way.

Thanks in advance…

Robert
        Participant

I never understood the mystique of this round after SG came out with the push for it. It evidently has considerably more effect that JHP? How does it compare to Corbon?

Are you wondering if it breaks up after entering glass?

Daniel
          Participant

Robert,

From my limited understanding it seems to be a superior round. Could be some sales hype involved but the tests appear to bear it out. Yes,
            I’m wondering how much hate it’ll have left after going through a window.

Roadkill
            Participant

Hard to beat Corbon DPX.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Hard to beat Corbon DPX.

True, but for those who can’t afford $1.86 a round in quantity, the 8M3 at $0.24 a round may work well enough.

Roadkill
                Participant

True Joe. I would say it’s a specialty round for rifle. I use it for EDC in my pistol. I shoot two 15 round mags of it a year when I change out the batteries in my pistols RMR just to make sure I’m still zeroed. Train with most any 115 gr. FMJ.

Daniel
                  Participant

Email sent to Tula HQ. Take me to your leader. Let’s see what sort of response they offer…

Edit to add: Well that was fast.

Daniel,

Unfortunately we do not have any information regarding how our ammunition performs when striking glass. Let us know how it goes if you do!

Adam Whitehead
                    TULAMMO USA, INC.
                    tulammousa.com
                    (888) 317-5810 ext. 4007
                    adam@tulammousa.com

Robert
                    Participant

Daniel- what exactly are you trying to figure out- will the round fragment upon hitting glass? Will it skip off of glass or will it remain solid and punch through glass?

I don’t have ballistic gelatin or anything like that, but I do have a van we have shot the hell out of with AKs, .308, etc. If you let me know what your trying to figure out I may be able to shoot it and tell you.

I’ve seen people concerned about glass in regards to sniper type rounds, the Ultimate Sniper book talks about this in detail. But he deals with principally .308 168 grain and .223 in the first edition I have.

Daniel
                      Participant

Heh – all I want to know is what shape the round will be in after punching through a common window. Will the intended target behind glass take a bullet or a spray of weaker shrapnel because the round broke up on impact? I read Plaster’s book too and I also know glass can play weird tricks on many hollow points, regardless of caliber etc. Just want to know more about this particular one (8M3).

dnb
                        Participant

Test it out. If shooting through glass with a film, basically shoot til you got a hole reamed to shoot between.

http://www.tacticalrifleman.com/shooting-through-bulletproof-glass/

Note I no longer buy Tula due to 8-24 moa biz. Insane groups in a bad way. The sg ammo, green lacquer mil spec stuff is most accurate ak ammo I have ever shot 1.5-4 moa at 400 yards.

Robert
                          Participant

Test it out. If shooting through glass with a film, basically shoot til you got a hole reamed to shoot between.

Shooting through Bulletproof Glass

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” style=”position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);” src=”http://www.tacticalrifleman.com/shooting-through-bulletproof-glass/embed/#?secret=02tRI0YMjY&#8221; data-secret=”02tRI0YMjY” title=”“Shooting through Bulletproof Glass” — Tactical Rifleman” marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no” width=”570″ height=”321″ frameborder=”0″></iframe>

Note I no longer buy Tula due to 8-24 moa biz. Insane groups in a bad way. The sg ammo, green lacquer mil spec stuff is most accurate ak ammo I have ever shot 1.5-4 moa at 400 yards.

Tula 8-24 moa? Damn. I’ve bought some shitty arse x39 over the last 30 years of shooting AK’s but I’ve never seen anything that bad. I know I’ve shot Tula also. This through an AK? What kind?

Shit, we were just at a long distance shoot last weekend near AL with ranges out to 2,500 yards. We brought the AK’s also and the family was all getting great hits on steel at 388 yards with the AKs and ACOGs.

dnb
                            Participant

Literally thought the gun was broken, scope loose or something. The worst was with sp bullets. No reason to try and shoot beyond 100 yards. Sgl 21, polish, and an rd Romanian. All sucked for most part, 8-12 moa is being hopeful and nice. Some lots were not that bad. One rifle I had shortened and a fh pinned. Thought the gunsmith messed up the crown. Changed ammo, 3-4 inch at 100 yards. I’ve shot lots of Tula, wolf, herters, and ulynovsky mil surplus. Not much other types. Really impressed with the sg green stuff for aks. Glad I tried it out. Hope to get a good stock of it.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.