5.11 Taclite Pro Shirts/Pants

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Gear and Book Reviews 5.11 Taclite Pro Shirts/Pants

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The only 5.11 product I’ve had before this was a pair of 5.11 Tactical Canvas Pants that I received as a gift.

They have held up extremely well.

So when I began my search for a quality Hunting camouflage alternative to military camouflage I found this 5.11 video.

Yea bit dramatic, but it gave me a starting point to test a hopefully durable hunting camouflage.

The cheap Walmart variety seemed a wrong choice for anything but disposable use and I was unfamiliar with the pricey high end gear.

The Sportsman’s Guide had a sale around Thanksgiving for the 5.11 Taclite Pro Shirts/Pants for $24.99 each, vice the normal $39.99 each. I purchased three sets to evaluate.

5.11 Taclite Pro Shirt

Description:

An ideal choice for a hunting excursion in any hot or humid environment, the Men’s Taclite® Pro Long Sleeve Camo Shirt in REALTREE® X-TRA from 5.11 Tactical® offers maximum rip mitigation and warm weather performance while keeping your visibility profile minimized. Featuring enhanced moisture wicking technology and increased ventilation, the Taclite Pro Long Sleeve Shirt in REALTREE X-TRA® helps keep you cool, dry, and comfortable even during periods of high exertion.

All REALTREE camo shirts feature our patented 5.11® hidden document pockets
        Twin bellowed chest pockets with secure pen storage
        TEFLON® treatment provides superior stain, moisture, and soil resistance
        Integrated locker loop at the inner back neck
        REALTREE shirts incorporate a hidden button down collar
        Horizontal mesh vents at the mid back provide superior ventilation

65%/35% 6.14 oz. polyester/cotton blend
        Double fabric elbows on our Taclite camo shirts ensure maximum resilience
        4-hole melamine buttons won’t burn, crack, or melt
        Hook and loop closures installed on chest and document pockets

YouTube review I found:

5.11 Taclite Pro Pants

Description:

Made from our Taclite® ripstop fabric, featuring a specially designed REALTREE X-TRA® camouflage pattern, REALTREE X-TRA® Taclite® Pro Pants are lightweight, durable, and engineered to provide outstanding comfort and performance in harsh field conditions. With bartacking, double-reinforcement at the seat and knees, and a TEFLON® finish, these pants are built for outdoor work, tracking game, and camping. Seven pockets, sized for tactical use, enhance utility. Blend in with Mother Nature. Blend in and be ready.

6.2 oz. polyester/cotton Taclite® ripstop fabric
        Action waistband
        Gusseted construction
        Double-reinforced seat and knees (kneepad ready)
        Bartacking at major seams and stress points
        Triple-stitching
        Strap-and-slash seat pockets
        Hip-mounted D-ring
        TEFLON® finish
        YKK® zippers
        Prym® snaps

YouTube review I found:

Initial impressions are very favorable and for those not interested in Realtree Xtra they are available in ten other solid colors.

Shirts are made in Indonesia and pants in Vietnam.

Will update periodically as needed.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I saw those pants on sale and I was going to post the link to it for you but my computer reset itself and I lost the link. Just found it and seems like you found a better sale, nice.

Here’s a Realtree helmet cover to go along with all the other cool stuff you’re getting together.

http://realxtremepaintball.com/-c-0/helmet-cover-realtree-p-17388

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

If your wanting a Braveheart look, look no further! ;-)

hellokitty
            Participant

FREEDOM!!!
              :yahoo:

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
              HEAT 2 (CP) X1
              FOF X3
              OPFOR X2
              CLC X2
              RIFLEMAN

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So far I am quite pleased with these 5.11 Taclite Pro Shirts/Pants.

I’ve been wearing them more days than not, from knocking around to moderate outdoor work, and have spent some time in the brush and swamp.

As part of my testing they have become my De facto uniform for evaluation purposes when I don’t need regular clothing.

First the idea that these blend into my rural community has proven correct. Wearing any of my military patterns stands out and I can notice a mostly subtle, but distinguishable reaction among many.

No noticeable fading in pattern. The various pockets are useful and I have not implemented the idea of replacing velcro with buttons as I’ve done with other modern military clothing. Though I probably will at some point.

I have ordered a set of knee pad inserts for testing in the kneepad ready pants. Will provide a review when they arrive.

One pair of the pants I’ve added a couple of gutted 550 cords (removed inside strands) to one pair of the pants for blousing, pants come ready for this addition. Some parts of my AO are quite full of various “creepy crawlers” that make this a good option to reduce exposure.

Shirts are neat in appearance, the ventilated mid back cape provides excellent breath-ability. The mesh under the cape area is a sufficiently small weave to prevent bug entry.

Between the Twin bellowed chest pockets and hidden document pockets (which are huge) there is plenty of storage. As with the pants replacing velcro on pockets with buttons is a possible modification.

The cut of the shirt tail is designed for wearing tucked into pants, but could easily be modified for wear untucked.

Pants are available from 28″ to fat sized waists and from 30″ to 36″ inseams (unhemmed available in 10 solid colors).

I need a size tall shirt which isn’t available in Reatree Xtra (tall sizes available in standard colors), but they have sizes M to XXL. Using the 5.11 Size Chart (arm length portion), I was able to get proper length sleeves with XXL at the expense of a very baggy waist. This could be tailored, but I find the full range of mobility for both the shirts and pants to be worth a somewhat baggy fit at this time.

The material has been treated with Teflon and their description that it “provides superior stain, moisture, and soil resistance” is true and it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

A light splash of water tends to bead and fall off leaving very little moisture and it seems to inhibit dirts ability to cling staying cleaner than other fabrics under similar conditions.

The 65% polyester 35% cotton blend ripstop dries very fast.

The Teflon concerned me regarding NIR, but this has proven to be unfounded. The appearance under night vision in various moon phases has not shown any negatives so far and illuminating with two different wavelength IR light sources has not given any unnatural appearances either.

Will update this if anything negative develops or in about 6 months or so.

wheelsee
                Participant

Joe,

EXCELLENT write-up!!

You do this for a living (or maybe in the past)??

Brian from Georgia
                  Participant

Great review, Joe.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The 5.11 Taclite Pro Shirts/Pants are proving to be a great value for all of the reasons previously stated.

After 7 months of heavy use in a variety of conditions they show very little wear and almost no fading.

All of this is great news for me.

However after inquiring with 5.11 customer service, the Realtree Xtra version is being discontinued.

The other ten colors will still be offered and have all of the other qualities described in this review.

Currently 5.11 still has the Realtree Xtra in stock.

Periodic “Sales” have kept the Realtree Xtra versions bargain priced while supplies last. As of this post the Realtree Xtra pants are $24.99 and shirts are $27.99 at 5.11’s site. This is an outstanding value IMHO.

Civilianresponder
                      Participant

5.11 Realtree Taclite pro pants are on sale for $21.99 with free shipping over $60. This is a great deal.
                        http://tacticalgear.com/511-poly-cotton-ripstop-taclite-pro-pants-realtree-xtra

Civilianresponder
                        Participant
                          Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Brief update:

I have been extremely pleased with these 5.11 Taclite Pro Shirts/Pants in Realtree Xtra for all of the reasons mentioned previously.

Enough so that I picked up 6 more sets which given their durability may last me the rest of my life. ;-)

Civilianresponder
                            Participant

Thats funny! I just did the same at the last sale. As well as buying a usgi permethrin pack for each.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I just did the same at the last sale.

:good:

Civilianresponder
                                Participant

:good:

wheelsee
                                  Participant

Pants are still available but shirts are sold out….

Civilianresponder
                                    Participant

I believe they are still available for 21.99 on the 5.11 website

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am going to order this from Amazon to test.

Realtree Mens Long Sleeve 1/4 Performance Shirt

100% Polyester
                                        Imported
                                        Authentic Realtree camo print
                                        Wicks moisture away
                                        Long sleeves keep your arms protected and provide warmth in cooler weather
                                        $24.99

It should be a good hot/humid weather shirt that dries quick, but I’ll see.

Not for use where there is a fire danger though.

Civilianresponder
                                        Participant

Too bad they don’t make that in x-static. That stuff is great. I got some of the 32 degree undershirts from Costco and they are great in the humidity. They are made from recycled water bottles which is weird. Definitely not flame resistant….

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Long term update.

These are extremely durable, not a single tear despite hard outdoor use. Pattern on original sets is more subdued after 15 months of use.

Here are two pictures, pair on the right is the most faded pair, on the left a brand new unwashed pair. The bottom picture shows the knee area which is the most abused part.

Remember I wear these as my normal wear around property, so these were worn at least once a week.

Of course I wash them with non-brightener soap and air dry to reduce fading and NIR changes.

The Teflon coating while not as effective as new still works.

They have proven to be a low profile appearance in my rural area. I can wear a full outfit with matching boonie hat and not get any reaction. Compared to military camouflage which brings attention in my area.

No telling how long Realtree Xtra version will be available, but are still listed in sale section of 5.11 site.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Regarding the current wear, let’s put that in perspective.

We’re talking a minimum of 72 weeks of use at once a week. If you only trained in them once a month, that’s 5 years to get to this point and I consider them to still be quite usable. I will update when I finally wear out a pair.

Remember these are consumable items like boots, gloves, etc…

If you don’t realize this you haven’t worn them for a living or paid attention to those who have. ;-)

Remember at a minimum you need 5 pairs of “uniforms” (for lack of a better term), 2 pairs of boots/gloves/hats should an “Event” occur. If that is something you are preparing for.

More is better!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have liked these 5.11 Taclite Pro clothing enough that I ordered some solid earthtone pants and shorts.

The variety of EDC items I use daily are easily distributed within the many pockets available. This uniform placement allows me to always be able to select the EDC item without delay.

The only difference between shorts and pants is the shorts cargo pockets you lose an inch in both depth and width. And the rear pockets lose a inch in depth.

Civilianresponder
                                                Participant

I like the 5.11 pants also but did not like the shorter pockets on the shorts. I had some extra pairs of pants that I had a seamstress turn into shorts. Now I have shorts with the exact same pockets as my pants so my EDC stuff is all in the same place.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Certainly one option if the pocket size is a issue.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I had some extra pairs of pants that I had a seamstress turn into shorts.

I had forgotten to mention, since these pants ready to be be bloused you can take the left over leg sections and sew the top end together, run a cord in blouse channels.

Now you have some stuff sacks! ;-)

Civilianresponder
                                                      Participant

Yep. I kept the legs just for that reason :good: :good:

TEAM LEAFPUKE! B-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                          Civilianresponder
                                                          Participant

B-)

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.