36 yard zero

View Latest Activity

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      BrothersKeeper
      Participant

I’ve struggled a bit with consistently zeroing my rifles and came across this video. One of my priorities before I make it back for more training at MVT is to improve on this and my shooting fundamentals. What do you guys think.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Max.
        Jack Moses
        Participant

I was just looking at this yesterday. It came at a perfect time because my local 50 yard rifle range closed. Now I can go to any local 25 yard range and zero for 36. The 5 inch affective zone appeals to me because I can rarely remember height over bore much less other holds. Have I tested the 36 yards zero at 300? No. I believe 300 yards is pushing it with my red dot and 11.5 inch barrel.

tahawus
          Participant

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Virgil Kane
            Participant

Wouldn’t it be dependent on the distance between the bore and the optic also? Is his Eotech set up for lower 1/3 or center?

xsquidgator
              Participant

You can try these kinds of shorter-range zeros, but at some point you’ll need to verify them at actual distance out to several hundred yards.
                I find that keeping a databook for each rifle or at least each optic and barrel length (16″, 20″) combo helps. I.e. a 25m zero is 6 MOA up from a 100m zero for my 16″ carbines. That’s been helpful when needing a 100m zero for a particular optic but right then only having access to anything but a 25m range.
                But, if an optic’s BDC says it wants a 100m zero, the best thing is to zero it at 100 and then verify it at longer distances.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.