Wilderness ankle IFAK

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Med Gear and Kit Wilderness ankle IFAK

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 5 days ago by Jake. This post has been viewed 139 times
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      wheelsee
      Participant

I am guilty of not wearing an ankle IFAK as I could never find one that was comfortable. Earlier this month, I attended a Medicine X class (https://www.lonestarmedics.com/medx) put on by Lone Star Medics (https://www.lonestarmedics.com) where I had an opportunity to try a variety of said IFAKs.

What I walked away with, in this thread, was one from Wilderness (https://www.thewilderness.com/ankle-rigs/ankle-cargo-cuff-ifak/). It is comfortable and carries more than others I’ve tried. See photo.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Dark Knight
        Participant

Looks like a really good product!

I have become interested in the SAM XT Tourniquet. I have contacted the company to see if it will fit in the cuff.

Thank you for the information.

Civilianresponder
          Participant

I’ve messed with those at several different trainings. I honestly think that there are much better options out there for a tourniquet. Check out the RMT from M2 inc or the SOFTT-W. the RMT fits nicely in the Darkangel AFAK ankle kit.

wheelsee
            Participant

Agree with CivilianResponder.

Much like AR15’s, med gear is wide open with everyone having a different opinion BUT stick with what’s recommended by CoTCCC (Council on Tactical Combat Casualty Care). Use the app “DeployedMed” (free) to stay current on guidelines, education, and equipment.

Yes, I know – your buddy recommended X. Again, just like people prefer to “do it their way” on ARs, ignoring First Sergeant, Max, and other SME, med gear is no different. Its your life (or a loved one), you figure it out. I’ll stick with national guidelines. (This is NOT directed at Dark Knight, but a general comment).

wheelsee
              Participant

The SAM XT Tourniquet is on the CoTCCC list. BUT, I know of no one using it.

From my colleagues in the military who are medics, flight surgeons, infantry, and 18D – the 2 TQs used are the CAT and SOFTT-W, with the preference being SOFTT-W.

Caveat – my personal experience only.

wheelsee
                Participant

From CoTCCC. most current (8/2019)

Limb Tourniquets (Non-Pneumatic)

Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT) Gen 7

NSN: 6515-01-521-7976

DLA Nomenclature: Tourniquet Nonpneumatic Combat Application One-Handed 37.5″ LG 1

_______

Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT) Gen 6

NSN: Use of CAT Generation 6 is acceptable until life-cycle replacements to gen 7.

DLA Nomenclature: Tourniquet Nonpneumatic Combat Application One-Handed 37.5″ LG 1

_________

Ratcheting Medical Tourniquet -Tactical (RMT-T)

NSN: 6515-01-527-3841

DLA Nomenclature: Tourniquet, One Handed Burke Device Tactical

NOTE: The RMT Civilian models are not CoTCCC-recommended for military use.

_________

SAM Extremity Tourniquet (SAM-XT)

NSN: 6515-01-670-2240

DLA Nomenclature: Tourniquet Nonpneumatic 25S

SOF Tactical Tourniquet – Wide (SOFTT-W)

NSN: 6515-01-587-9943

DLA Nomenclature: Tourniquet Nonpneumatic Nylon Strap 1.5” Wide Nylon Strap for BR

NOTE: The original 1” SOFTT is removed from the CoTCCC Recommendations.

_________

Tactical Mechanical Tourniquet (TMT)

NSN: 6515-01-656-6191

DLA Nomenclature: Tourniquet Nonpneumatic Tactical Mechanical Tourniquet

_________

TX2” Tourniquet (TX2)

NSN: 6515-01-667-6027

DLA Nomenclature: Tourniquet Nonpneumatic TX2 Ratcheting One-Hand Coyote

TX3” Tourniquet (TX3)

NSN: 6515-01-667-6208

DLA Nomenclature: Tourniquet Nonpneumatic TX2 Ratcheting OD Green

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by wheelsee.
                  Dark Knight
                  Participant

I was exposed to the SAM XT a local “stop the Bleed” training. Apparently several of the Fire/Rescue Departments in the Northern VA area are including it in the kits used my Rescue Task Force members.

I do not currently have any of the SAM XT’s. All of my current TQs are CAT’s.

wheelsee
                    Participant

I was exposed to the SAM XT a local “stop the Bleed” training. Apparently several of the Fire/Rescue Departments in the Northern VA area are including it in the kits used my Rescue Task Force members.

Highlights the difference in practice of regions. I’m in TX.

Jake
                      Participant

Good to know Dark Knight.

In Missouri, the ambulance will replace your tourniquet/medical gear used on a patient. I’m not sure if this is common practice everywhere… but it might be beneficial to use what your locals are using.

That being said. I’ve got CATs and SOFTWs. I prefer CATs for arms and SOFTW for legs. But either that is on hand in a situation is the preferred one.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.