Why specifically is a hammock not a suitable shelter for a patrol base?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Shelter and Sleep Systems Why specifically is a hammock not a suitable shelter for a patrol base?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      theothersteve
      Participant

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this. I was looking into the equipment list for the combat patrol class. I noticed that hammocks were not suitable for said class. Thats all well and good, but I was just curious as to the reason for this. My thinking is that the hammock is light weight and mostly quick to put up and take down. It also gets you off the ground. I could see the potential drawback of having a larger footprint than say a ground sleeping method. Anyway was hoping to see if anyone could shed some light as to why hammocks are not ideal for a tactical situation.

Max
        Keymaster

Hammocks are not allowed due to the concealment / cover issue. If your patrol base is attacked you are hanging in a bag suspended above the ground. In a standard woodland environment you may even be digging shell scrapes to give you more concealment / cover – whether you dig those depends on the tactical environment and of course, if you you can be bothered.

Hammocks/ A-Frames / platforms etc are legitimate in true jungle or swamp environments. This is where water and / or insect life is such that you need to get off the ground. That is another area that falls under jungle warfare training and is relevant to certain parts of the US. Florida / Louisiana anyone? In those circumstances, any patrol base is located in thick vegetation and as such approaching without detection is hard, and concealment is easier.

theothersteve
          Participant

Makes plenty of sense! thanks for the explanation!

Robert
            Participant

Everything Max said. Keep in mind it’s a little harder to fight out of a hammock also.

trailman
              Participant

Everything Max said. Keep in mind it’s a little harder to fight out of a hammock also.

I’ll second or third that. Lot’s of us use those for scout camping. Very hard to un ass quickly.

hellokitty
                Participant

Was out once with a buddy. I slept in a bivy on ground, he slept in a hammock. I woke up with a pack of coyotes in camp. One not 2 feet from me. Another was sniffing my buddy’s ass as he hung in The hammock. He heard that snif on his ass and he came bailing outta that hammock. It wasn’t quiet, it wasn’t quick and it was elegant. But it was funny as hell.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                  HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                  FOF X3
                  OPFOR X2
                  CLC X2
                  RIFLEMAN

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Hammocks/ A-Frames / platforms etc are legitimate in true jungle or swamp environments.

Just a friendly reminder, mission, duration, and environment dictates gear.

Mike Q
                    Participant

Hello kitty: I just laughed so loud I woke up my kid. That was funny as hell!

First Sergeant

Was out once with a buddy. I slept in a bivy on ground, he slept in a hammock. I woke up with a pack of coyotes in camp. One not 2 feet from me. Another was sniffing my buddy’s ass as he hung in The hammock. He heard that snif on his ass and he came bailing outta that hammock. It wasn’t quiet, it wasn’t quick and it was elegant. But it was funny as hell.

LOL. Thanks, I needed a laugh.

FILO
                        Signal Out, Can You Identify
                        Je ne regrette rien
                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

farmer
                        Participant

hellokitty, would you & your buddy be willing to recreate this scenario along with video? for educational puposes only.

Thanks ;-)

hellokitty
                          Participant

When that buddy and I do anything it’s like Laurel and Hardy. We could fuck up a wet dream. :wacko:

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                            HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                            FOF X3
                            OPFOR X2
                            CLC X2
                            RIFLEMAN

skeets4039
                            Participant

hellokitty,

Your story reminds me of my own jungle hammock adventures with my two buddies T and P. We were hunting down in the Ozarks and the area was rocky and there no decent areas to put up a tent. Having been there before, we decided we would use the surplus jungle hammocks we had picked up. I had replaced he ropes and cords prior to the trip, my buddies well……

We set up our hammocks and were ready for a good nights sleep. I got into my hammock and was just getting comfortable, when I heard a “thump” followed by a AHHHHHHHH…… I quickly exited my hammock and found that the cords at the head of T’s hammock were dry rotted and broke, dumping T on his head. Pat on the other hand had able to ……. well I don’t know what P did, all I know that he looked like a green cocoon with the moth struggling to escape.

I helped T out of his hammock and together, we untangled P. We jerry rigged T’s hammock with some extra rope we had and we tried to get some sleep. No sooner than I got into my hammock, I heard another thump and Ahhhhhhhh……. Here we go again.

This time the cords on the foot of the hammock broke and T slid down into the hammock and landed on the ground again. P again managed to do a credible imitation of a hanging Houdini. Again I helped T out of his hammock and together we untangled P.

By this time, T gave up and walked down the trail to sleep in the car. I got back into my hammock as was ready to doze off when again the night air was shattered by AHHHHHHHHH……

All in all I got a pretty good nights sleep, after I got accustomed to the whimpering.

Take Care

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.