Warriors beware

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Operational and Strategic Levels Warriors beware

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Most know by now I enjoy reading Sun Tsu. But although it is required reading for Spetznatz, it was actually very directly and strongly recommended by my 1Lt. As I recall there came a warning that went along with that request. And it it went like this. Just remember we were right out of boot camp and did not know too much.

1. You are not the only one reading Sun Tzu.
        2. When you are observing the enemy, better to assume he is observing you.
        3. When you attack, he may be attacking as well.
        4. When you assault is right flank. Best to assume your enemy may be flanking as well.
        5. If you probe his defenses, he will be probing your perimeter as well.
        6. As you prepare to kill him he may be working harder to kill you. He may have better intel, more resources. More troops.

Now back to MVT:
        a. Absolutely never under estimate your enemy.
        b. know him well, because sure as shit he will absolutely know you better.

I still agree that the flank is a better move verses laying and waiting for him to flank and attack you.

Z~

DiznNC
        Participant

Yeah good point. Max reinforced this for us on a drill one time. As we were moving back from contact front, we got hit from targets to our flank. This was to simulate the oppo trying to flank us.

Max
          Keymaster

MAX et al;

We are discussing the team breaking contact – moving to the rear, then taking fire from the flank. Does it seam you need to out maneuver the enemy and flank his attack? My guess would be not. If not. Then why?

Z~

Max
            Keymaster

Better said.

What is the best responce to an attack from the flank while breaking contact?

Max
              Keymaster

Better said yet: show up to CTT and Combat Patrol. On Combat Patrol we specifically build on drills to take account of enemy on the flank or in an L shape ambush while breaking contact. Such as the MVT box peel.

However, students from CP are sworn to secrecy to maintain the surprise for future classes.

There is a limit to the free chicken.

DiznNC
                Participant

Yeah the Box Peel is the answer to your question but kinda hard to describe if you haven’t done the drills.

That would be a very aggressive oppo that attempted to flank from ambush position. What might be more likely would be you bumping into a stop group along likely avenues of approach (or in this case egress). In a well-planned ambush, that’s almost to be expected.

I will say this: you’re gonna go through some ammo. Guys running 4-5 mags are gonna go Winchester real quick. I’d say 12 mags would be about right.

Pinky
                  Participant

the peel is what you seek :)

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.