Walmart to stop selling 556/223 and handgun ammo

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Current Affairs & Topical News Pieces Walmart to stop selling 556/223 and handgun ammo

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      RobM
      Participant

Well here it is…the mighty Wal-Mart has fallen…

Different articles are saying different things about what exactly they’re going to stop selling but in general, all “military style rifle” ammo and some handgun ammo.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/business/walmart-ends-handgun-ammo-sales/index.html

Will you stop purchasing from there? I don’t think that they’ll feel the effect that Dick’s Sporting Goods has…but this has got to hurt their numbers a bit.

RobRoy
        Participant

I was pretty deep in my red state and noticed that there were only bolt actions and shotguns in the case so I figured they just quietly dropped them without fanfare.

RobM
          Participant

In Virginia they made the change a while back (years, maybe 10+) to stop selling military style rifles and to my knowledge, never sold handguns in VA. However, they had decent prices on ammo. I typically order ammo online, but in a pinch or a brief wander to the ammo section would sometimes turn up great deals.

hellokitty
            Participant

Walmart has the right to sell whatever they want. The issue I have with Walmart is when executives called for congress to debate the assault weapon ban. They lost me forever with that. Fuck em.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
              HEAT 2 (CP) X1
              FOF X3
              OPFOR X2
              CLC X2
              RIFLEMAN

hellokitty
              Participant

Article link
                https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-15/walmart-ceo-calls-for-assault-weapons-ban-debate-in-congress

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                FOF X3
                OPFOR X2
                CLC X2
                RIFLEMAN

Anonymous
                Inactive

Seems they’re tip-toeing the line to avoid triggering the gun grabbers while not completely alienating the large number of rural shoppers they serve.

We used to get ammo for the range from Wal-Mart since buying at the range itself is usually pretty damn expensive. Looks like we’ll have to start buying online from now on. :unsure:

Hessian
                  Participant

I have bought 5.56 ammo once at walmart. 9mm I’ve picked up a few times, but its cheaper to order online.

Seems

We used to get ammo for the range from Wal-Mart since buying at the range itself is usually pretty damn expensive. Looks like we’ll have to start buying online from now on. :unsure:

For now online is your best option, that is until they decide either by federal decree or a state by state that online sales of ammo is completely illegal.

Might be a good idea to invest in the new Dillion 750XL and support your local reloading supplier.

SeanT
                    Keymaster

The headline on TV news I saw yesterday was that Walmart was going to stop selling “Short Barrel Rifle Ammunition” and I was thinking WTF is that????? I have a 16″ 30-30……

Edit: pasting the quote.

New York (CNN Business)Walmart on Tuesday announced it will reduce its gun and ammunition sales, one month after more than 20 people were killed in a mass shooting at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas. Walmart also pressured Congress to enact gun safety measures.

The company, America’s largest retailer, said it will stop selling handgun ammunition and

“short-barrel rifle ammunition,”

such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber, that can also be used on assault-style weapons after selling all of its current inventory. Walmart (WMT) will also stop selling handguns in Alaska, the only state where it still sells handguns. And Walmart will request that customers no longer openly carry guns into its 4,700 US stores, or its Sam’s Club stores, in states that allow open carry.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by SeanT.
                      Anonymous
                      Inactive

@Hessian
                        I’d love to get into handloading but I share a tiny semi-detached house with three other people so it’s a bit hard. Me and my brother have already debated where we could even fit a proper gun safe for what we have already. I’m still saving brass when I go out to the range, though, just in case I can get into it anytime soon. Definitely one of those skills I’d like to learn, especially if the Dems get clever and start going after our ammo.

Sitting Duck
                          Participant

NY banned online sales with the SAFE act.

Online sales of Reloading supplies are not banned.

I find reloading very enjoyable, but not inexpensive. Gear and then faster or more precise or larger volume gear can add up. It’s a rabbit hole that has black hole power if you are outside of the really cheap 9mm, 5.56, 7.62*39 rounds.

Double up on purchasing the common ammo and save your brass. If you’re into 300win Mag, 338, or even 308win 6.5Cm, (hard to say on 6.5G) then get books, dial calipers, dies, a turret press (you quickly out grow the single stage and Lee loader, on a do-over, i’d get a turret.) and stash primers. (Actually everyone should be buying primers the new lead free ones have a relatively short shelf life. Lead has been an easy thing to deny the public. No more wheel weights to cast..)

SeanT
                          Keymaster

The basics of reloading are not that difficult and it can be done with inexpensive equipment BUT if you want to reload a LOT of ammo quickly, then it gets tricky and expensive.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.