Virginina 1-13 Proposed County Militia Resolution (and related thoughts)

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Virginina 1-13 Proposed County Militia Resolution (and related thoughts)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      JustARandomGuy
      Participant

Stumbled across this from a blog over at WRSA.
        Seems like an…interesting idea. Seems like this popped up before lobby so, a pretty new site/FB page. Not entirely sure what to think of this, but it seems like maybe an idea to start with? You know…for all those “what next” questions… :whistle:

From the front page;

Stand together to Protect the rights of the citizens of the Old Dominion

The citizens of Virginia stand in the face of an onslaught against their civil rights. We the people must be united against this tyranny and look for protection to the statutes and principles our dear state is founded upon. Virginia Constitution, Article 1, Section 13, makes clear the provision we have against this kind of attack.

In order to further unite our actions as the people, Virginia One Thirteen has drafted a resolution that seeks to follow the historical, civil provision for uniting our efforts in the formation of county militias for the defense of liberty for our people.

Why This Resolution?

Service in the unorganized militia is the duty of all citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia per the Virginia Constitution and Code.
        We are in the middle of an unprecedented attack on our natural right to own firearms to defend ourselves and our communities.
        If disarmed we will be unable to fulfil our constitutional obligations as a member of the unorganized militia.
        By having lawful civil authorities (local Board of Supervisors and Town/City Council) officially recognize the constitutional validity of the unorganized militia and regulate it at a local level, we can establish the lawful framework by which we can defend our individual rights of firearms ownership as members of the unorganized militia.
        Such civil oversight is imperative to asserting these rights legitimately within the confines of the VA and US Constitutions and provides the legal foundation to defend such rights through the judicial process.
        In addition to the legal and judicial protections established by this resolution, these measures provide an opportunity for citizens to come together in an organized manner and establish a network by which they can support each other and their communities in times of need.
        Please share this information with your local elected officials and urge them to vote to officially recognize the legitimacy of the unorganized militia in their respective community.

:unsure:
        Maybe it’s totally a dumb idea? I don’t know. But it seems to me there needs to at least be an attempt to organize/equip/train people at the county/local level to back up the 2A Sanctuary resolutions, if there’s to be any chance of that working out long term…

JustARandomGuy
        Participant

h-t-t-p-s://virginia113 [DOT] com/

The above bolded quote is NOT the actual proposed resolution text, please see at the site, not sure of plagiarism potential if I just copy-paste the whole thing here.

chant8tones
          Participant

“By having lawful civil authorities (local Board of Supervisors and Town/City Council) officially recognize the constitutional validity of the unorganized militia and regulate it at a local level, we can establish the lawful framework by which we can defend our individual rights of firearms ownership as members of the unorganized militia.”

They can recognize the constitutional validity but by what authority would they regulate the unorganized militia?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Opinions will vary, but ultimately the strength of such plans is the perceived legitimacy it provides those scared to make a stand without someone in apparent authority saying its ok.

Some county resolution will not legally protect those who choose to stand, unless you are on the victorious side.

It’s a escalation that demonstrates intent and dedication to resist. So potentially has value.

Anonymous
              Inactive

I got one of these flyers at Lobby Day.

I don’t expect the state to recognize these groups as legitimate, but if county boards approve this then they do have more political legitimacy than the more established private militias.

Whether or not Virginia accepts the existence of these militias, it does sound like a victory in terms of organizing. It is nice seeing a community-based approach being adopted in response to state encroachment, the structures and networks being created now can be used to replace the state entirely if/when things go haywire. If things get bad enough the auxiliary will already exist and it wouldn’t take such a leap for former county militia to go clandestine.

That being said, the flip side is VSP will have a list of every potential insurgent in that county based on militia rolls.

JustARandomGuy
                Participant

I too am not a fan of handing over a ledger of membership to any authorities, BUT, for all the people who are all about being “deputized” when/if SHTF, what exactly do they think that’s going to entail?
                  Regardless, I’m sure there’s a workaround to that somewhere.

They can recognize the constitutional validity but by what authority would they regulate the unorganized militia?

They don’t. Personally, I’m not looking at this as another “ask nicely for permission” measure so the hand-wringers can feel good. “We the people” don’t need any other authority than the 2A/1A to organize as a militia, nor do we require an outside authority to “regulate” it; it’s obvious given current politics what those outside authorities define “regulation” as anyway.

What I’m thinking something like this *might* do, with perhaps a bit of rewording, is allow groups to organize under an “umbrella of legality”, this might make it potentially easier to organize if they can have even a small bit of authority behind them, maybe they can even wheedle their way into some state resources (training land/ranges, etc, if such become scarce), and allow the more timid to see that this is ‘good-think’ and get involved. Sort of an “optics” play to change perception of a “militia”.
                  Perhaps more a way to get your existing/planned group “recognized” as legit by local law,not necessarily “part” of it, so when the red flag calls start coming in from the rats, they will be duly ignored, or at least you get “kicked with the side of the shoe not the toe”.
                  And then if everything goes to shit, and the local gov. backs out (which they likely will), well…you still have the core of an organized and trained group, and can go from there… ;-)

But then, I am not a legal scholar, so… I also have no idea if anything I just said is realistic IRL… :unsure:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…VSP will have a list of every potential insurgent in that county based on militia rolls.

I too am not a fan of handing over a ledger of membership to any authorities…

I would be shocked if the VSP doesn’t already have lists that would cover the same individuals that will be on any militia roles. I am sure Homeland Security would help VSP if needed.

In the real world there are no greyman unless lived it since birth.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

To be clear I like this effort!

I also like pointing out that it won’t protect you legally unless your side wins.

To many want the rose colored view, vice reality.

farmer
                      Participant

As far as “being on a list”, if you have a concealed carry permit, I’d be willing to bet that you are on a list to be looked at if confiscation becomes reality. Knowing this, I still renew the blessed permit.

Spencer
                        Participant

DCH 10/2019
                          H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

Anonymous
                          Inactive

Fair enough arguments, just highlighting that there’s a difference between hosting a gun forum or posting Boogaloo memes on IG and taking concrete and open steps to join an organized armed group that may find it in conflict with the authorities, that draws more scrutiny.

All of us SDF vets got visits from our local JTTF branch when we got home (not unlike the VSP visit linked in a separate thread), they were friendly and professional enough but they were still scoping out whether I was a threat since I was one of those few who actually went over and took arms, other volunteers were explicitly asked whether they wanted to become informants.

If these militia get official sanction from their county governments that’s a great thing, since the biggest issue with the militia moniker is that it implies legal legitimacy most militia lack. That being said it seems they’re exploiting a clause in the Virginia constitution so this likely isn’t a course of action those of us in other states could follow.

Definitely interested in if or how this movement grows and evolves.

ariel
                            Participant

The VA113 movement is a product of a group of guys in the Northern Shenandoah Battle Buddies group of AR15.com. I’ve been in contact with them since the Frederick Co. Board of Supervisors meeting in December.

They had 20,000 flyers printed out prior to Lobby Day with a goal of handing out half of them on LD. 15,000 were passed out. Their social media activity is already increasing as a result.

County Supervisors are being approached with the idea. Shenandoah Co will most likely bring it up at their next BoS meeting. Another guy and I are working together to present VA113 to supervisors in Frederick Co. With the recent election, we now have two that should be pretty receptive.

One of the biggest issues will be the need for a rebranding of the word “militia” due to the negative stigma it carries. I think one way it could be sold is like the “Community Emergency Response Team” or CERT that can be activated by local agencies when police/fire resources are stretched thin (ie: after natural disasters). Think CERT with guns.

The idea of the resolution was to provide a framework for people to bring to their counties to at the very least get county recognition of residents as the unorganized militia. How much they wanted to take it would be up to individual counties as far as training, issued/required equipment, frequency of muster, etc.

The need to protect name and information of members did come up in discussion. I’m sure they are ways to legally do so but I’m in agreement with those above that the people that would be on board with this are most likely already on at least half a dozen lists already.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.