Video: GEAR: HELMETS – The Why, What, How for Day & Night Tactical Operations

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Body Armor and Protective Equipment Video: GEAR: HELMETS – The Why, What, How for Day & Night Tactical Operations

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

:good:

Really good information.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Really good information.

Why? :unsure:

The almost hidden gems contained in not just this video, but all of them is the nuances.

Direct Action vs Jungle (Swamp in my case) Patrol, accidental bumps to head and eyes, why scrimmed or not, environmental factors like extreme heat/cold.

These are all factors, it’s certainly not the common “it’s what the Delta Geeks are wearing” choices.

Compromises! You hear that a lot.

Remember much of current military gear is Afghan/Iraq focused, imagine that!

I am here to tell you what works in summer there is not the same as my area of Florida.

Current helmets suspension/padding is great for protection, but limits airflow the could cause heat injuries in the jungle.

Then I hear “it’s hot in Iraq too!” :yes:

Yea, but during a halt I can reduce head temperature through evaporative cooling by a quick removal of headgear for a few minutes.

Doesn’t work in high humidity environments like jungle/swamps.

So again nuanced compromises! :yes:

Max puts an amazing amount of info in these brief videos, make sure your understanding the nuances.

Ask questions here don’t just take in surface information, look for the background.

Civilianresponder
            Participant

Any recommendations for ballistic helmets?

veritas556
              Participant

Thanks for the video @Max – I had hoped for a more definitive verdict (ballistic vs non) but am getting it through my thick skull that nuance is the secret sauce here – as with many things. With that comes decision making and context – which you laid out very well.

I’ll share some of my limited exp with a bump setup in hopes of shaking out a few things… context: 5-nights NODS training this winter.

Setup: OPS-Core Fast Bump hi-cut (pictured)

1. In the first few sessions, after 1 hour and no counter-weight the neck started to feel it. Clearly not used to any weight on my head so training with a helmet is a must. Like not swimming in a long while, it pressures muscles that aren’t used to that particular stress!

2. Got counterweights. Neck fatigue gone even with 1.5-2hrs constant on. Though that could have also been attributed to some neck conditioning at that point. Nevertheless, the whole rig felt much more balanced with rear weight. These are easy velcro off when not using NOD to save weight if still wearing helmet.

3. Temp. It was never hot (winter in OH) but the helmet regulated temps nicely. The Ops-Core has vent holes in the top (the ballistic version does not) and when really cold, wore a balaclava under the helmet and it was toasty even in 20-30 degree temps. I did run this same helmet at a summer FOF and it was pretty hot out and never felt an issue with head heat. Goggles are another story…

The OPS-Core Fast Bump weighs 0.68 lbs. and costs $270
                VS
                OPS-Core Fast XP Ballistic weighs 1.88lbs (shell) and costs $1,300

What is that saying about ounces = pounds and pounds = pain?

Part of me says, if money is not an obstacle than clearly, a ballistic version makes sense. Of course you can get other ballistic helmets much cheaper than Ops-Core. Team Wendy is slick too and around $1,100

The other part of me says, should any of us find ourselves in a situation with high-velocity projectiles coming our way, we’re more likely to face the consequences of luck or chance than some perfectly thought-out gear choice.

That said, it does seem exceptionally risky to go out (daytime defense, patrol, etc) without ANY head protection. There are way too many other threats that can bump, bruise and batter your head unit besides being perforated. Dazed and unconscious renders you probably dead in the end.

And if you own NODS (and you should), a helmet is by far the best platform for that. The skull caps are nice to have but offer no impact protection at all.

My two cents is that owning and training with at least a Bump helmet should be as integral part of your gear as a chest rig – plates or no plates.

TC
                Participant

This vid brought up some critical points I hadn’t considered. Thanks.

Well it’s cool seeing what others are running.

I picked up a high-cut helmet made by United Shield, a British company.

Replaced straps with an Ops Core H-Nape, $30 from eBay.

Shimmed the shroud with JB Weld for a custom fit to my Rhino II NVG mount. No wobble.

I run my ear pro under it so that I can use it without the helmet too.

Scrimmed with tie-dyed burlap/hessian sewn together in patches.

Using a G17 mag as counterweight.

Not necessarily recommending anything here, rather just showing the setup I’m testing out at the moment. I ran it for 6 hours with NODs in the woods last week and it worked well except: at one point the ear pro batteries started dying and only then did I realize I couldn’t remove them to hear without taking off the helmet, but my PVS was mounted on there, so I’d either be deaf (with dead ear pro on) or blind (with PVS off). If they had been helmet mounted I could have swung them away. Lesson learned.

RobRoy
                  Participant

Great video. Also it did answer the question I always forget to ask, in Blackhawk Down the Delta dude is yelling get away from the walls and now I know. In the Battle of Marjah video Marine gets shot in the melon and the bullet followed the helmet and all he supposedly got was a bell ringing.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Here’s something I posted a year ago.

Old School Yard Sale Find!

PASGT size Large.

$5.00! That’s right $5 and in excellent condition!

Sure it’s not the latest and greatest, but you never know when you may need a extra helmet.

I probably wouldn’t pay more than $20 for a PASGT in excellent condition if I planned on updating it and $35 if I planned on just keeping in a bin as a spare.

A friendly reminder on the upgraded suspension/padding kits, there are many cheap kits that aren’t worth your money.

I was surprised (probably shouldn’t be) that the current issue pads are cheap junk vice what they at least started out with.

Oregon Aero is still the gold standard to my knowledge.

Something to consider when buying used/surplus gear is needing to replace junk/worn out padding.

Oregon Aero upgrade kits can be found for around $50.

I had forgotten to order a kit for this PASGT so I just did. I’ll see about doing a review on it and install.

I am certainly not saying this is the best option, but this maybe decent alternative to no ballistic helmet.

Sitting Duck
                      Participant

Two things I wish Max had touched on, 1. The red flag armor brings to L.E. 2. Weight injury.

Almost all of my classmates who went to the military are being medically retired with back problems. Most have lost over an inch of height. Although the officials dismissed helmet and armor as a contributing factor, the disabled claim otherwise.

As someone who has no interest in instigating a gunfight but is investing in being ready to “read the playing field” if I happen to find myself as an unwilling participant, the calls to “buy armor NOW” is perplexing.

Max
                        Keymaster

Two things I wish Max had touched on, 1. The red flag armor brings to L.E. 2. Weight injury.

Almost all of my classmates who went to the military are being medically retired with back problems. Most have lost over an inch of height. Although the officials dismissed helmet and armor as a contributing factor, the disabled claim otherwise.

As someone who has no interest in instigating a gunfight but is investing in being ready to “read the playing field” if I happen to find myself as an unwilling participant, the calls to “buy armor NOW” is perplexing.

Had to read this a couple times to grok the sense of it.

Red Flag to L.E.? Not sure I follow? If you are robbing a bank, maybe. Other than that, this is still America and if people have an issue with plates, they will also have one with your rifle. So not sure what the point or gist of this is?

Armor injury? Not really. If you are doing what I say in this and other gear talks / posts, you will not be that heavily burdened. In the military including body arnor you may be on patrol with about 120lb. That is not the 30-50lb I talk about. There is also the point that you should not wear it where intersecting conditions of terrain, weather and physical fitness would make you a tactical no-go.

In terms of “buy armor NOW”(?) I simply don’t follow. If you follow the rationale of what I say in the video, armor is part of your tactical gear / preparation. I am not sure that I urged anyone to “buy now” but the rational answer is to try and get hold of it. Because if not now, when?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The red flag armor brings to L.E.

Where are you having this issue?

BradyBunch
                            Participant

I think he really is referring to the physical effects of the bat belt. Wearing that belt for years and sitting with it in patrol cars for length periods of time killed my back and the groin/hip nerves. Not the 2nd Chance vest. That just made me overheat.
                              (God I can still feel the mag pouch pinching those nerves)

Sitting Duck
                              Participant

The red flag armor brings to L.E.

Where are you having this issue?

I found live in a state that has a problem with the Rifle…..and pistols…..and ammo…..and data about such things.

I work fire and work closely with LEOs on runs and in training who have let slip they are watching who is/has shopped for armor. Stop the bleed was taught by a neighboring SWAT team and they couldn’t contain themselves with bragging about what information they are tracking. When pressed about the current state of the 2A rights in our state some would profess their commitment to the Constitution. Typically say things have gone too far but that it needs to be changed somewhere else for them to do something other than “follow the law”.

Although armor is not illegal it will compound any other charge.

Thank you for the explanation on load expectations.

My point of “reading the field” needs a little explanation. During the Yugoslavian genocide there was a video clip of an overweight, middle-aged guy who could pass for Andy Capp (cartoon character) who although unarmed was the attention of several machine guns. He was moving along a field as a heavy gun ripped up the field where he had been and he managed to use the lay of the land to escape not only without getting chewed up but he didn’t even end up dirty!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Although armor is not illegal it will compound any other charge.

Still sounds like a non-issue to me.

Assuming you’re not planning on committing standard run of the mill crimes this won’t apply.

Now if it’s the hypothetical concern of one day not turning in banned firearms, I don’t see having body armor if caught increasing your criminal sentence.

However in that same hypothetical having armor maybe of use if you decide to resist such a enforcement.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.