Vets to be given online exchange shopping access

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Multi Media Vets to be given online exchange shopping access

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Groundwork
      Participant
        SeanT
        Keymaster

Interesting and cool

I read the article and saw that they will use DMDC and VA records. I am familiar with this as I managed the interconnectivity between the systems for https://www.myhealth.va.gov/

If you are a Vet and have not signed up with MyHealth, you earned the benefits, so check it out. VA is moving toward a central ‘portal’ for Vets to use and it is being accelerated. What that means in the real world is yet to be seen but it IS coming. The delivery of technology services at VA is officially going thru a reorganization and the single portal is part of it. It is going to be a interesting time to be a IT nerd at VA.

xsquidgator
          Participant

Any advantage to using an exchange? It’s been 22 years since I was in one. I vaguely recall not having to pay sales tax on things there, but I’m not sure even of that. Being on base, the NEX was convenient and maybe a little cheaper than going to Walmart, and they had uniform items too. (And of course the base liquor store was open on Sundays in South Carolina, which they sure weren’t off-base!)

Is the exchange kind of like Sam’s Club or better for prices, perhaps good deals on some things? I guess what I’m asking is, if they turn this on, will it be worth my while to mail-order anything from there? I don’t think I live near enough to a .mil installation to make driving over worth it, unless it was somehow a lot cheaper or better than BJ’s or Costco.

Andrew
            Participant

What I remember at my last duty station, ’76-’79, Glenview NAS, Chicago Recruiting District, is that it cost me more to drive to Great Lakes and back than I would save. Using coupons it was even cheaper to shop locally.

While I am not sure, if this would apply to me, (10 yrs., 9mos., and 16 days) active, I would do it, not for the savings, but for those who are serving now. A little here, a little there type deal.

trailman
              Participant

FWIW back in the day we didn’t shop at the exchange, I don’t know how it is now. At the time you could get a great price on a $2000 rolex but they didn’t sell timex’s if you know what I mean.

We did all our groceries etc on the regular market. It was cheaper.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The reason for this is twofold, it does give back something unique to our Veterans and it will increase profits and buying power for the Exchange system.

Wit it being a online system they do not have to come up with a ID program, just a virtual password account.

Exchanges deals are like anything else, comparison shop. Where you were stationed was a major factor, exchanges in DC cater more to the high end consumer and if in a high cost of living area it made more sense to shop at exchange. Certain Uniform items are reserved for active duty/reserve, but it depends on who cashier is and your appearance.

Of course online it will be based solely on policy.

Yes it is tax free and this can be a big deal.

I don’t believe this applies to Commissaries, the best thing with commissaries is case lot sales and special order, depending on where you are. I currently only go to the Commissaries two to three times a year for special sales and then stock up. For some reason batteries seem to be priced best at them. You can also order real military MRE’s vice military entries assembled third party.

Being retired military I qualify already, but it seems like anyone who served honorably will be qualified.

There are many deals some seasonally.

It’s a option worth getting into once available that will also increase buying power of exchanges which will result in better deals for Active/Retired and Veterans.

Groundwork
                  Participant

@Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Being retired military I qualify already B-)

Well, la-dee-dah ;-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Well, la-dee-dah ;-)

Only takes a 20 plus year commitment! :yes:

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.