Three Saudi Brigades Annihilated in Devastating Houthi Offensive in Saudi Arabia

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Current Affairs & Topical News Pieces Three Saudi Brigades Annihilated in Devastating Houthi Offensive in Saudi Arabia

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Average Joe
      Participant

“Houthi forces employed drones, missiles, anti-aircraft systems, as well as electronic warfare to prevent the Saudis from supporting their troops with aviation or other means to assist their trapped men. Testimony from Saudi soldiers suggest that efforts to rescue them were half-hearted and of little effect. Saudi prisoners of war accuse their military leaders of having left them prey to their opponents.”

Three Saudi Brigades Annihilated in Devastating Houthi Offensive in Saudi Arabia

Does anyone else have any information on the actual tactics employed?

Thanks….

Y’all have a nice day.

Hessian
        Participant

Saudi Arabia is known for their lack luster military.

2008 USMC intel report.
          “Military service is not attractive to most Saudis [who live in a welfare state]; as such, recruits often do not have the capacity or motivation to operate and maintain the ground forces’ arsenal. As a result, foreign and civilian personnel have to perform a variety of functions, from the servicing and maintenance of weapons systems to the demand for spare parts and supplies”

Mercenaries from South america according to this article. I have also heard of African Mercs as well.
          https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/saudis-coalition-yemen-militias-and-mercenaries-backed-western-firepower

The kingdom of Saud wants Yemmen so they can export oil, if Iran ever decides to block the straight of Hormuz they have an alternate means of funding their economy.

Max
          Keymaster

So, geo-political implications? How far will the US get involved in a war with Yemen to protect the Saudis? If so, implications for US Forces involved?

Healthhokie
            Participant

Great another quagmire for US forces with unmotivated, under trained locals. Hope the US military is watching and learning from the Houthi’s, I am sure all guerrilla armies are taking notes. With the support of the populace much can be achieved..

Max
              Keymaster

There’s your third world war right there. Us Blames Iran for Oil Refinery attacks, turns out it’s the Houthis / Yemen. Yemen acts to destabilize Saudi. US is forced to get involved due to oil / investment with Saudis. Get’s involved in a nasty insurgent war with Yemen. Cue spreading regional involvement, bringing in Iran etc. Iran acts to block straight of Hormuz. etc……

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Max’s hypothesis is certainly possible, however it isn’t a done deal.

Currently we are the number one producer of oil in the world. This gives us far greater options than we have had in the past.

Trump while not adverse to using military force, has used it quite sparingly compared to most past Predidents.

Trumps recent removal of John Bolton as national security advisor points to a more reasonable and cautious approach to foreign policy in regards to using our military.

As previously noted, I am certainly not adverse to a variety of military actions against Iran. This is in part due to Iranian involvement is areas I’ve been involved since the mid 1980’s.

So we wait and watch to see what really develops.

Average Joe
                  Participant

“They subsequently demonstrated their technical and cyber capabilities through an asymmetrical operation employing drones of various types as well as electronic warfare to blind the US Patriot system’s radars, in the process halving Saudi Arabia’s oil production for a period of time Aramco is yet to determine.”

I was wondering the specifics about the tactics of the attack, i.e. how they used drones, What drones, cyber capapbilities, electronic warfare etc. to accomplish what was claimed to be all but impoissble.

Y’all gave a nice day.

Max
                    Keymaster

I was wondering the specifics about the tactics of the attack, i.e. how they used drones, What drones, cyber capapbilities, electronic warfare etc. to accomplish what was claimed to be all but impoissble.

So, you are heading out because no one has answered this? Tell me it isn’t so? Do you think this is published open source or even known to people on this forum?

Average Joe
                      Participant

Hopefully this quote/paragraph from the article will better explain my query.

“It bears reflecting on the significance of these events. The third-biggest arms spender in the world is incapable of defeating the poorest Arab country in the world. It is, moreover, incapable of protecting its national interest and borders from this impoverished Arab country. The Houthis are showing to the world what a poor but organized and motivated armed force can do using asymmetrical methods to bring one of the best-equipped militaries in the world to its knees. This conflict will be studied all over the world as an example of how a new means of warfare is possible when technological and cyber capabilities are democratized and available to those who know how to use them appropriately, as the Houthis have shown with their use of drones and electronic warfare.”

Y’all have a nice day.

Max
                        Keymaster

an example of how a new means of warfare is possible when technological and cyber capabilities are democratized and available to those who know how to use them appropriately, as the Houthis have shown with their use of drones and electronic warfare.”

Open source guessing. Joe may come back with more detail. I don’t think the drone will be related to the cyber / electronic piece, although it is certainly possible.

Drones:

Likely used for ISTAR i.e. battlefield recon. Possible they could be armed, but don’t know in this case. Drones can give commanders real time intel on the state of the battle. Surveillance. Saudis may not have any workable drone counter measures.

Cyber:

Not really sure of capabilities here. I mean in terms of deployment of cyber at a tactical formatiin level. Could Houthis penetrate higher level tech to introduce virus? Don’t know. It may be cyber was not actually a factor in this battle.

Electronic:

This would speak to me of two aspects. First, jamming. This would further isolate the trapped force. Second, locating, supplementing drones.

Average Joe
                          Participant

I just find the subject totally fascinating. Again, the idea that a people considered to be ‘backward’ can pull off defeating, not only the Saudi military but the U.S. Patriot missile system is a real eye opener in my humble opinion and worthy of study.

The last time I can recall something like this was in Africa when they used Toyota pickups and RPGs to defeat Cubans driving Russian tanks in Mozambique, if memory serves. SF was about the only source that covered the details but it was an interesting read.

Y’all have a nice day.

RobRoy
                            Participant

Thanks for the lulz Average Joe with that defeating the Patriot missile system comment, think if Saddam Hussein owned Raytheon and had 51 senators in his back pocket as to what that system is worth. The estimate of cost to replace each missile is 3 million dollars, but defense spending costs are a mystery in themselves so who knows how much the Arab oil playboys pay.

Good questions on how exactly these attacks were accomplished I would be eager to read about it. The Houthis have a propaganda outfit that posted video which is pretty good. Most of the video is of optical wire guided missiles taking out wheeled armor, then the usual war trophy shots of captured AK rifles which leads to believe the Saudis were using low rent mercs. The actual Saudis having a taste for Euro guns which might or might not work if needed, praise Allah.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I lack sufficient information regarding specifics of this engagement to give a analysis. Haven’t had time to dig deeper into what OSINT is available.

There is much hyperbole in the linked article without collaborating facts to back up the assumptions giving.

Doesn’t mean specifically they are wrong, but again no details to back claims.

One example even repeated within Thread regarding Patriot performance, without knowing what weapons were used, where targets were in relation of Patriot Batteries, etc…making such broad statements is overreaching.

Iran is very much involved in this conflict, whether that is sufficient for action against Iran is debatable.

Anonymous
                                Inactive

Man, if Average Joe wasn’t rushing for the exits some of us have seen this kind of warfare up front, stay a while and have some chai lol.

I might have been inclined to post something about this earlier but so far there have been limited sources, most of what is coming out is from the Houthis themselves without any third parties to back it up.

It’s not outside the realm of possibility for a guerrilla army to conduct cyber warfare (it’s actually an area where an unconventional force can reach parity with a conventional force) but if it was deep enough I’d expect some Iranian assistance.

In Syria we always operated under the presumption that the drones were armed, they’d scout and also drop some bombs (of ISIS manufacture) on our forces if they saw them, you heard that buzzing sound you immediately called out “Drone!” and everyone would go inside to cover. Those were all commercial drones like DJIs.

Ah, here we go:

http://spioenkop.blogspot.com/2019/09/list-of-iranian-arms-and-equipment.html|

http://spioenkop.blogspot.com/2019/09/houthi-drone-and-missile-handbook.html

Well damn, color me jealous, that’s some nice shit.

The fact that we’re sending more troops to defend Saudi from Iran when the Saudis can’t even fight off guerrillas in Yemen does irritate the piss out of me.

As far as contractors go, I’ve heard of Colombians being hired by the UAE with promises of citizenship to fight against the Houthis, also have been some Israeli and US intelligence guys doing some freelance Special Activities Divison shit for the Emiratis as well.

https://www.haaretz.com/.premium-yemen-s-war-is-a-mercenary-heaven-are-israelis-reaping-the-profits-1.6938348

Anonymous
                                  Inactive

Still nothing on the lame stream media about this. This apparently has been being planned for months and had insiders giving intel on airports, troop movements and other valuable intel. They closed down the airports cutting off air support and laid a perfect trap at the right location. 3 brigades killed or captured. That is a bunch of people. Saudia Arabia has been the largest purchaser of U.S. military weapons. This is bad!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So did anyone check out the links in rampantraptor’s post?

The Houthis are showing to the world what a poor but organized and motivated armed force can do using asymmetrical methods to bring one of the best-equipped militaries in the world to its knees.

First as we here point out regularly equipment doesn’t make the individual and this is just as applicable to a nations military.

Second giving the Irainian support these Houthis aren’t the ragtag group infered in the OP’s linked article.

fabio
                                      Participant

Scratching my head. Even with the above explanations provided, How can a rich country like Saudi Arabia have such an incompetent military.

No surprise on the lacking coverage in American news. I’m on “rabbit ears” television and still get better international news by foreign networks.

Average Joe
                                        Participant

So did anyone check out the links in rampantraptor’s post?

The Houthis are showing to the world what a poor but organized and motivated armed force can do using asymmetrical methods to bring one of the best-equipped militaries in the world to its knees.

First as we here point out regularly equipment doesn’t make the individual and this is just as applicable to a nations military.

Second giving the Irainian support these Houthis aren’t the ragtag group infered in the OP’s linked article.

I just spotted it and found it quite interesting and appreciate the effort.

It’ll take some time to dig though the info but certainly believe it is worth the effort. And as you pointed out, they are not as ‘rag tag’ as some would have us believe. They have some serious hardware yet still it is amazing they were able to resist and push back a country with the resources of Saudi Arabia.

Drones, in general, would seem to offer a lot of advantages for an inferior force. Things from surveillance, intelligence gathering, and cheap artillery, for lack of a better term could all be possible uses. Of course keeping in mind this is all academic in nature.

Given resource and portability restrictions, a group could even amount a layered attack or counter attack. I would suspect that in many circles it could even offer a certain element of surprise allowing for other avenues of exploitation in a given circumstance. If we can learn how they were used in this effort it might open up other areas for discussion. I found it interesting on of the drones mention is for sale on Amazon.

Y’all have a nice day.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by Average Joe.
                                      Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.