The virus: a hint of what is to come?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Current Affairs & Topical News Pieces The virus: a hint of what is to come?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      veritas556
      Participant

Great analysis by a quality researcher/author on Zerohedge today. Worth the read.

But I have news from Columbus, OH.

Despite ZERO confirmed cases in the state, the authorities (yesterday) cancelled the public portion of our largest annual event – the Arnold Classic. 250,000 people were due to attend. This is going to be economically devastating for many businesses. And it’s just the start of convention and sports seasons.

I can only imagine what a handful of cases here along with a few deaths will prompt our “leaders” to do. Cancel school, concerts, sporting events, conferences? Absolutely disruptive and devastating to the economy.

I’m also starting to see the slowdown of clients paying their bills to us out of fear of the economic ramifications of people staying home. This is not good. And it’s just the first inning with no outs in America. Today, Costco was completely sold out of toilet paper and bottled water. People are starting to panic. Needlessly if you ask me.

Yet the potential economic impact on our 80% service-based economy if people decide to stay home (worse if they are ordered to do so) is real-life doom.

Back in China, the majority of manufacturing is still not back to work. Between the energy usage and pollution data this is evident. On a personal note, I’ve been trying to have some items manufactured there for a few months now. The company I’m dealing with in SE China (well away from Wuhan) is still not back to work.

Forget the epidemiological “truth” about the virus itself for a moment. Infection rates, mortality rates – no one really knows yet. That part is irrelevant.

What’s real is the pending economic shock the media-induced panic is about to cause. The stock market notwithstanding. America is about to feel a supply shock from the mass quarantine policy in China over the last few months… which continues. Add to this a supply shock from people first voluntarily staying home to over-reactive bureaucrats in CYA mode (like what happened yesterday here in OH) and you have the makings of a perfect economic storm.

I have no idea if this whole thing is manufactured chaos, simple incompetence or nature having the last laugh. Either way, us Westerners are intensely prone to overreaction. Just consider what takes place at the grocery and gas station the day before a 1-2 day forecasted, weather event.

The depressing part is there is nothing we can do as individuals to evade this potential economic storm. We’ll all be caught up in it – even if we have enough water, beans and bullets. I hope I’m wrong, and as one not predisposed to the emotions of imminent doom, believe this has the real potential to be generationally bad.

As Winston Churchill said, “there is nothing to fear but fear itself.” I’m afraid he’s about to be proven right.

What are you seeing where you live?

• This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by veritas556.
        Max
        Keymaster

Great comments.

Here’s some conspiracy to add: Biden wins the nomination. Why hasn’t he been endorsed by Obama yet? He will get the ultimate endorsement, which is Michelle as his VP running mate. Nobody will care that Biden is probably going to die, and is senile, because they will focus on Michelle, and they will see Biden’s probable death as leading the way for the first female, black, (or transgender, maybe) President. Glass ceiling everyone? Meanwhile, Trump is damaged by the economic damage that Veritas alludes to, and also the fact that his rallies may also be cancelled due to virus fears. Soros runs the voting machines. Anyone not see this happening?

Not training because you feel good about the Trump slump? I can’t help you when this shit show gets going.

Hessian
          Participant

Monday several major companies in the Pharma, telecom, tech and health insurance industries have put a stop to travel except for business critical trips. Even if the virus goes away tomorrow most things won’t pick back up till late August or September for most of the major corporations. HR departments are also asking for people to stay home if they are not feeling well, and I’ve seen a memo from a company that anyone who is caught coughing will be told to go home immediately.

So far the local grocery stores here are not “sold out” of essentials but the 2.5 gal jugs of water, and large bags of rice and beans were just about sold out. I do not belong to costco, samsclub or any other bulk stores.

N95 Dust masks are sold out everywhere.. On the job site they have disappeared due to guys taking them for later use outside of work. The only place where I’ve been able to find N95 masks are in areas that are in unsafe urban areas. Tho stock is low to nearly gone as of this point.

Expect for Walmart and other stores to start running out of goods by the end of March or early April due to China not producing those goods and its typically a 30 day boat ride from China to the west coast of the US.

Economically the issue is way worse than 01 or 08. MMT and QE can solve the issues that we experienced back during the last 2 recessions but it can’t fix an economy where people are staying sheltered in place, quarantined or too sick to produce GDP.

Anonymous
            Inactive

Here in Baltimore I haven’t heard much panicking over coronavirus, though I work a pretty low-level job so I wouldn’t immediately see the same kind of impacts as those higher up in the bureaucracy. Not seeing or hearing anyone I know panic buying essentials or anything like that.

So far COVID-19 has had a lower kill rate than SARS or MERS, I do think a lot of this is just media panic. The stock market just rallied today because Biden overtook Sanders, COVID-19 be damned. I’m actually more worried with how volatile markets have been in general than any single impact by this current pandemic.

As far as Michelle Obama goes, candidates usually pick a VP nominee that addresses some demographic weakness with their own candidacy, for example crude Trump picking holy roller Pence to smooth things over with Christian conservatives, so Michelle Obama would be overkill since Biden already has a lock on black voters. I can see him picking Elizabeth Warren, especially considering she’s staying in the race long enough to keep kneecapping Bernie by sopping up progressives votes away from him. She’s a woman and also considered a progressive so that’s two demographics right there.

Max
              Keymaster

As far as Michelle Obama goes, candidates usually pick a VP nominee that addresses some demographic weakness with their own candidacy, for example crude Trump picking holy roller Pence to smooth things over with Christian conservatives, so Michelle Obama would be overkill since Biden already has a lock on black voters. I can see him picking Elizabeth Warren, especially considering she’s staying in the race long enough to keep kneecapping Bernie by sopping up progressives votes away from him. She’s a woman and also considered a progressive so that’s two demographics right there.

LOLZ. Missing it as usual. Nothing to do with Black folks. Everything to do with retarded white guilt apologists that infest this nation and vote Democrat.

dave37
                Participant

LOLZ. Missing it as usual. Nothing to do with Black folks. Everything to do with retarded white guilt apologists that infest this nation and vote Democrat.

^^^^^THIS

HEAT 1 2017
                  Intro to CQB 2017
                  Texas HEAT 2 2018
                  Operation TeaSinker 2019
                  Combat Leader Course 2019
                  Team Coyote
                  Team Rekkr
                  Team Cowbell

Anonymous
                  Inactive

In that case the best bet would be either Kamala Harris or Stacey Abrams. Harris already was on the national stage and has visibility, Abrams is widely viewed as a future leader within the party, particularly for southern Democrats. Michelle Obama has no experience in office, even HRC did a stint as senator to get some credentials before running for the executive branch.

That being said I don’t think any white folks with guilt issues are at risk of voting for someone they view as a white nationalist so there’s little incentive to appeal to them. Liberals are gonna vote blue no matter who, the hardcore lefties aren’t going to be sold on Biden just because he chose a POC for VP, they’ll be as pissed about Sanders getting screwed as they were last time.

When I was a starry-eyed 18-year old liberal and not a cynical 32-year old libertarian I thought Obama being black was a perk for healing the racial divide, but even the I didn’t feel like I had any moral duty to vote for him because of whatever my ancestors did.

veritas556
                    Participant

Way to derail the virus thread!… but I digress… Joe Biden excites his base about as much as Mittens Romney in 2012. But Harris? She is a dullard with a terrible record AGAINST African-Americans as the AG of Cali. And Abrams… she’s a whiny, entitled politicrat who will do more to motivate Republicans to vote against her than she’ll help Biden. Trump will do WAY better with blacks than pollsters think. He has many quality black GOP candidates running for House seats that will help him downticket. Biden picks Warren because he needs the intensity of the radical left. Write that down.

Anonymous
                      Inactive

@Veritas556 Ngl kinda trollish on my part but I was bored at work so figured I’d keep the debate going lol.

I did say Warren on my initial post – progressive enough to bring in more centrist Berniecrats from the cold, a woman, but not considered as radical as Bernie.

As far as coronavirus goes, I feel like this will be a minor issue in a month or two, most governments seem to have a grasp on it and unless you’re immune system is compromised it seems to be largely harmless, just saw an article that researchers are surprised that young children aren’t more heavily affected by it than adults.

Max
                        Keymaster

This is why we can’t have nice things on this forum: rampantraptor.

Anyway, you read what I wrote about Obama. Write that down and move on. Let’s get back to the virus.

Max
                          Keymaster

Is it the virus itself that is the issue, or is it the economic implications / panic which is the real threat?

I am seeing articles where Chinese scientists are proving COVID is more dangerous to Asians. That will be denied because it goes against politically correct narratives.

I am fairly comvinced (my opinion) that COVID was an engineered virus i.e. adapted, and released in Wuhan.

The next question is motive, and who benefits?

Well, in and of itself the virus does not seem to fit the bill of a global depopulation event. Unless of course another strain was released in the US. I do find it odd (not really odd) that two places that seem to be most under threat are China and Iran. So it would seem so fa, on the current eveidence, that this is not an ‘airborne ebola’ ttpe event.

So who benefits? Whoever benefits from the incoming economic disruptions and panic. Potentially crash the stock market and supply chains. Lead to recession prior to November’s elections. Prevent Trump rallies.

The Soros / Gates et al globalist left benefits, that’s who.

Short Stroke
                            Participant

I haven’t seen enough information to believe that this is a truly deadly virus to most people. The virus’s performance to date leads me to believe that only the elderly and Chinese whistleblowers are at risk. I believe that there have still been no cases for children. That’s very interesting.

So, we might have our social security problem resolved with this, but more locally, what might this do and how can we prepare? Here in Virginia, will this hurt or help the 2A cause in next January’s new session? Will politicians take advantage of a panicked population and take advantage of the high fear level? How can we counter that or appropriately use the crisis to our advantage? In times of crisis and upheaval, a trained and armed populace is preferred.

I’m not sure if we’ll ever know what caused this, and it doesn’t matter too much since we just have to deal with it now.

Anonymous
                              Inactive
                                Healthhokie
                                Participant

Biden will pick the woman Governor from Michigan Gretchen whatever her name is. He needs a woman and he has to get Michigan, PA, WI..

JustARandomGuy
                                  Participant

In that case the best bet would be either Kamala Harris or Stacey Abrams. Harris already was on the national stage and has visibility, Abrams is widely viewed as a future leader within the party, particularly for southern Democrats. Michelle Obama has no experience in office, even HRC did a stint as senator to get some credentials before running for the executive branch.

AH…but you forget…nobody likes, or quite 100% trusts either of them. You forget how loved by the Oprah IQ level crowd Michelle is.
                                    Kamala for darn sure won’t get picked for the same reason the stocks start going up when Bernie starts going down…

That being said… somehow I don’t see Mich getting the VP nom either.
                                    I feel like, unless they can make some real hay on Corona-chan or related economic issues, this is a show election on the D side. This is just another one of their info-gathering/play for time schemes. :unsure:

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.