The S*** Is Actually Hitting the Fan But Somehow It Doesn’t Feel Real

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Current Affairs & Topical News Pieces The S*** Is Actually Hitting the Fan But Somehow It Doesn’t Feel Real

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster
        veritas556
        Participant

For anyone that’s experienced a life-changing moment (most of us by now) the feeling that it “doesn’t feel real” is precisely how you know it is.

jriggs
          Participant

Thanks for the article Max. People die because they get stuck in the surreal this is not happening. Time to accept that something is happening even if it is not the big one. At my local Sam’s a guy was stabbed for an apparent argument over toilet paper. Remember if you have money to buy supplies others may not and some will resent you for that.

Team Rekkr

LittleBigBill
            Participant

This quote from the article sums up a lot of prepper mental gymnastics:

“We are still at a stage in a shell game and nobody knows which shell the SHTF is hiding under.”

I believe there are multiple “surprises” under the shells…. COVID-19, economic collapse, suspension of Habeas Corpus (already done with the 9th circuit court).

Etc…

I hope for a non-event, but I’m preparing for something more significant. Now If I can get my family members to think along those lines…… touchy subject with one in particular. I’m putting away a little more for them if, and when the worse happens.

Robert Henry
              Participant

Thanks for the article Max. People die because they get stuck in the surreal this is not happening. Time to accept that something is happening even if it is not the big one. At my local Sam’s a guy was stabbed for an apparent argument over toilet paper. Remember if you have money to buy supplies others may not and some will resent you for that.

Reason 483 why we prepare ahead of time.

Stab you for TP, or follow you home. Or just get the damn virus running out in large crowds now to do last minute preps you should have been doing all along….

This may not be TEOTWAWKI, but the S is definitely HTF.

Next shoe to drop?

Bank runs? Might not be the big deal they were in the 90’s since no one uses cash and Joe and Sally Sixpack probably averages $300. in their accounts.

Martial law? That’s possibly coming. Bunch of selfish tardnuts (read: most Amerikans) refuse to quarantine, gubmint goes full retard because of that.

Everyone needs to figure out their own TRIGGER POINT and be firm on it. This could be when the total cases in your state hits X number, or first case in your general area, or it may have been a few days ago. It’s up to you to decide this.

But it’s important to discuss this and decide your trigger point because without that you will waffle, as people do when they get accustomed to a bad situation.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

Lloyd
                Participant

Good points, Robert.

Regarding covid-19: Though I will make an effort to avoid getting it, I still think people’s REACTION to the whole thing is a much bigger threat to most of us than the bug itself is. Toilet paper stabbings yesterday, bank runs tomorrow, empty shelves at the grocery store, quarantine = no work = no paycheck, economic meltdown, supply chain meltdown, hungry looters, tyrannical govt attempting to maintain order… Who knows where it all ends up?

Yeah, we’re all “prepped”, but at which point do you do which thing to react to whatever incremental bit of chaos just struck your little corner of the world?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Lloyd.

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                  Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

riflemaniv
                  Participant

My wife had a come to Jesus moment while going food shopping this week. Apparently she was wrong and I didn’t go overboard over the last 10 years as I slowly built up our food stores. She described the scene as “creepy” when she found the shelves in the supermarket empty. I think everything I have harped on about our garden, canning etc was driven home in a few short days. Hopefully others have a similar ephiany.

Tony S
                    Participant

My wife had a come to Jesus moment while going food shopping this week. Apparently she was wrong and I didn’t go overboard over the last 10 years as I slowly built up our food stores. She described the scene as “creepy” when she found the shelves in the supermarket empty. I think everything I have harped on about our garden, canning etc was driven home in a few short days. Hopefully others have a similar ephiany.

I wish my wife would. But her normalcy bias is so strong, that she’s still refusing to open her eyes and views everyone is “crazy” for “panicking over nothing”. I don’t think she’ll accept that anything has fundamentally changed unless a literal zombie horde is breaking down our door. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make her drink.

JC
                      Participant

I shifted to a “not normal anymore” mindset the last week of Feb and began reviewing our supplies, and seriously hitting stores to plus up on perishables. But my immediate family was still in normalcy bias until this week – so my wife and I had a few ‘discussions’ about the budget when I began hitting the stores. I think my in-laws are just now realizing this might actually be more than a TV event.

We are self-quarantining, but at this point I’m not overly concerned that this will progress to a collapse bad enough for us to ‘fort up’. I think it will be serious, but for now I’m not rally concerned about a breakdown in law and order.

That could change if the global economy totally crashes as some are predicting. We are in historic times, so a historic global economic collapse is not out of the question.

But the real kicker would be is a global war that breaks out due to the stresses of collapsing societies and economy’s, refugees flooding into Europe, the oil war between Russia and everyone else, North Korea launching a strike on South Korea (or someone else) because the Great Leader was losing control due to a massive unreported virus outbreak in NK, or Iran, etc, etc. We are in uncharted waters – and it is times such as these that “Black Swan” events seem to occur. In aviation, if you have one aircraft malfunction, you often get a cluster of malfunctions – it is a cascading failure. The world is ripe for a ‘perfect storm’ now. A round of cyber and/or EMP attacks would contribute nicely to a SHTF collapse straight out of novels.

onegunshort
                        Participant

It’s worse than you think.

A large, famous hospital in Baltimore is in disarray and unprepared. Even worse, the management of other departments (not intentionally handling infected patients in containment areas) is not taking responsibility and is not making policies that make sense. Doctors not dealing with infected patients are not getting the gear they need. As of today, critical procedures are the only ones being performed. No protective gear is being issued. The hand waving by managers is not convincing anyone that they are safe.

This is going to turn into a charlie foxtrot. The hospital will be overwhelmed.

As John Farnam says: “You’re on your own!”

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by onegunshort.
                          Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Reason 483 why we prepare ahead of time.

Stab you for TP, or follow you home. Or just get the damn virus running out in large crowds now to do last minute preps you should have been doing all along….

If you haven’t already prepared and this is the big deal the hype portrays… then you are too late.

For the unprepared their survival is happenstance!

veritas556
                            Participant

So today the OH Gov shut down all bars restaurants, etc. I just laid off my entire company. Good times for 20 employees and myself. Maybe we’ll be back? But it’s not just about me, many more victims of this HOAX incoming.

On good intel, the Feds are going to self-quarantine the whole country for 2 weeks min. Expect it this week. Not sure how they enforce this but…

Here’s the deal fuckers… you have trained and trained for what exactly? A gov’t tyranny of some sort? In Ohio we have ZERO deaths from this “flu”. Ok, maybe we get a handful eventually but destroy the economy with a press conference? What kind of tyranny are you waiting for? Is this not it?

This fuckery is coming to your city/town too. We are infected with this political/bureaucratic class who would rather destroy the entire economy (you’ll see in about 2 weeks) than be responsible for the death of any “at-risk” people. These people are incompetent, reckless and have no skin in the game. They’ll all keep their jobs. Now is the time to stand up as men and acknowledge what is right in front of your face – the tyranny you’ve all been waiting for. Or will you just buy another piece of kit to sooth your soul?

veritas556
                              Participant

And by the way, I have no idea WHY this (banning mass-gatherings, shutting restaurants and bars, theater, sports, etc) is really happening. Conspiracy, incompetence, what’s the difference? This is an existential threat against individual liberty and our economic system. If ever there were a time to stand up and make your presence known, this might be it.

BILLY
                                Participant

On good intel, the Feds are going to self-quarantine the whole country for 2 weeks min. Expect it this week. Not sure how they enforce this but…

I heard this about a quarantine tuesday also from someone i work with that has ties to local govt, has anyone else heard this? I would love to map it out and see if it’s random rumors or something based on fact

xsquidgator
                                  Participant

I heard this about a quarantine tuesday also from someone i work with that has ties to local govt, has anyone else heard this? I would love to map it out and see if it’s random rumors or something based on fact

I’ve heard this from several places. My wife said she heard it being put out as a possibility on Saturday morning on one of the cable news places. I’ve also had people (maybe 2 degrees of connection away from the source, which makes this a rumor. I.e. “a friend who’s husband works in the fed .gov who knows some .mil folks says …) contact me with the same thing and the estimates of the “national quarrantine” enactment range from Tuesday to the weekend.

DiznNC
                                    Participant

Much to consider. First of all, it really doesn’t matter what the trigger point or event is. It’s what happens next that we all prepare for. Secondly, it doesn’t even to have to be something real, as we’ve all seen. Just the thought of something wrong is enough to cause panic and perhaps the collapse of the economy.

The deep state and media are using this event to their own purposes, which means they are fanning the flames of panic by their breathless and irresponsible reporting and behavior. So really you can’t even believe much of what you hear; it’s all state run bullshoi.

All though the urge is strong, I don’t think taking a victory lap, because of the fall of civilization, is something I ever really wanted to do.

To the OP, as I have a cup of coffee this morning, looking out my window, I see very little activity, as folks have hunkered down for the event. No school buses picking up the little ones. No helicopter parents taking their older kids to school. Very few people actually going to work. It IS a little surreal, after thinking about and planning for something like this for a long time. It’s so fucking quiet!

It’s funny, sorta, to compare how these events have been depicted, and then how they have played out. For instance, the “empty shelves” thing. The reality of this scenario was it was very selective; hand sanitizer, cases of water gone, but milk and soda (not to mention booze) still there. Then the progression of what ran out next, as people realized they needed other shit. I got strange looks because I was the only one with a cart full of beer and wine, although I saw the light bulb go on in a couple of folks.

And then the scene at Cabelas yesterday. First of all, the MagPul display was stripped clean. I bought the last two G26 and the last G19 mags. Cuz the 30-rd Pmags were long gone (I got another couple of dozen last week). Metros were crowding the counters to look at weapons they knew absolutely nothing about. A guy was buying a Henry rifle, in some exotic caliber that will be impossible to find. Antique, lever action rifle, in a caliber you can’t sustain: check.

And the thing is, I was talking to the guys working there, and they were very knowledgeable; if this mid-level exec would get the stick out of his ass and ask for advice, they would have set him up with a nice AR. But no, he won’t listen to some lowly store clerk; he’d rather buy some rifle he saw on some zombie movie. And so it goes.

T
                                      Participant

But no, he won’t listen to some lowly store clerk; he’d rather buy some rifle he saw on some zombie movie. And so it goes.

Was he eating pink twinkies Diz?

DiznNC
                                        Participant

Ha ha, yeah he should have been. I mean the arrogance you know? This fucker is probably a SME in his chosen field, making good bank, and he thinks that gives him the right to look down his nose at some store clerk, because, after all, what could he learn from someone so far “beneath” him, right?

You talk about making the lure to catch the fisherman, instead of the fish. There it is. Perfectly good, (but ugly) AR’s sitting on the shelf. But a nice, shiny rifle, ooh, let me see that one.

Robin Turner
                                          Participant

I am not in denial about the seriousness of situation, nor do I suffer from normalcy bias. However, the response to Covid19, from the very beginning, has been disproportionate. Unless our government knows something we don’t, things just do not add up.

Robert Henry
                                            Participant

Veritas- come on down here brother, I need help on the phones. I was able to get off the phones earlier for about five minutes, that was my rest period for most of the day.

People are freaking, no doubt there. One guy today said “I didn’t know this (the rush) was happening with night vision also.” Yes, I think it’s happening with just about everything right now. When you can’t find frickin tp… you know TS has HTF.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                                              Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

veritas556
                                              Participant

Man, trying to figure out my next move. It’s surreal, I always thought there would be background music playing in my version of the apocalypse – like a movie ;)

Ronin42
                                                Participant

https://flagpole.com/news/in-the-loop/commission-to-consider-curfew-ban-on-gatherings

I’ve been watching this all over the us, and this is the next town over from me..
                                                  my girlfriend lives there.

this bothers me way more than the damn virus
                                                  while I’m not surprised, the term upset is not inaccurate…

I’m wanting to attend my cities and try to argue for sanity and not to have enforced curfews like them.
                                                  I’m open to suggestions on how to go about this.

mvt alumni CTT & DCH
                                                  some other schools..

part time tactical couch potato

Robin Turner
                                                  Participant

Yes, this is exactly the type of situation I was talking about when I mentioned disproportionate reactions. Why would a curfew be necessary? Are they trying to stop potential t.p. bandits? Or is this just a chance to seize power?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Robin Turner.
                                                    TC
                                                    Participant

Well this is the cushiest most luxurious apocalypse so far. Air conditioning here in FL, internet, power, water, law and order, paid vacation for some people. Biggest battle has been satellite patrolling onto Objective TP in aisle 10. Some gallows humor. :whistle: It’ll be a different atmosphere a month from now. We’ll see how much this virus is just hype vs true gut punch to the system.

DiznNC
                                                      Participant

Well, this one is weird because you don’t know if it’s the real thing yet, just speculation at this point, but yet the effects are the same. It would appear that shit is flying off the shelves, across the board; I have been checking status of different things; hadn’t gotten to NV yet, but no surprise there either.

My best guess is that production will catch back up to demand. It’s not like a EMP strike knocked out the factories or anything. The demand just out-stripped the supply chain. I would predict another round of inflation though, as surplus dollars chase too few goods.

If you compare this to the last great depression, none of the social welfare mechanisms were in place to disperse funds directly to the peeps that need them. This time there’s a whole slew of programs to do just that. I would predict that when this bottoms out, the recovery will be months, not years this time.

The irony is, it’s not the event itself here, it’s the (over) reaction to it that may cause a collapse. What a shit show.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by DiznNC.
                                                        Ronin42
                                                        Participant

that seems to be how it ends up going.

the cure worse than the plague, so to speak

mvt alumni CTT & DCH
                                                          some other schools..

part time tactical couch potato

onegunshort
                                                          Participant

Sooo….ammo is now gone for 9mm, 45 ACP, 5.56×45, and 12 gauge. The remaining stock for these calibers has already been marked up as of about 11:30 PM March 17, 2020. The other common calibers will be gone soon.

The hysteria continues. This is dangerous like H1N1, but we do not remember that one so much. C19 is definitely more dangerous than the flu. Notice how the news is not showing what is going on in Italy where things are quite bad.

At this point, I am fortunate where I can work from home. My job is safe and cable tv is considered a utility now. Mrs. OGS still has to go see patients at the hospital without adequate protection. They may give her some N95 masks and other gear today.

My strategy is to wait for my PVS14 from Robert and hunker down. Gear is 95% ready otherwise. The family is outta here the second we start seeing riots around here.

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.