The Rebel Yell

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge The Rebel Yell

• This topic has 13 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by hellokitty. This post has been viewed 220 times
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Recorded footage of veterans doing the Rebel Yell in old age.

“Charge ’em boys, charge ’em”. Echoes from history!

Notice their accents. No modern savage punisher skull-type idiots there!

Max
        Keymaster

Max
          Keymaster

Just thinking – Rebel Yell in Richmond, outside the capitol, January 20th. My Christmas day thought to you!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’ve heard the original recording, but never the recreated version at Company strength.

:good:

I think January 20th would be good time to refresh its use with serious intent!

Max
              Keymaster

Can anyone actually do the rebel yell?

Here’s something related that I find amusing: it’s received wisdom in BritMil that if you want to be heard when yelling, you have to pitch your voice higher. Thus, on parade, NCOs will yell in a high pitched manner. Yet, everytime nowadays I see someone try to yell using ‘command voice’ the trend seems to be to yell in a deep ‘tough guy’ voice that won’t carry.

The rebel yell seems to almost be something from hunting, almost like a coyote yipping. Thoughts?

farmer
                Participant

Does this mean that you & 1St Sargeant are going to “Change your tune at us”?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The rebel yell seems to almost be something from hunting, almost like a coyote yipping.

No doubt in the similarities and note many of the local breeds of Southern baying bounds are quite similar as well when hunting.

Thoughts

There are many misconceptions of what being a man really is! It’s hardly surprising hollywierd has gotten it wrong yet again.

As noted; by current standards the rebel yell seems lacking, but we know that in reality it was effective and disturbing to the Yankees they faced.

Max
                    Keymaster

No doubt in the similarities and note many of the local breeds of Southern baying bounds are quite similar as well when hunting.

Ha! Maybe I should have left it as Team Coyote! Hidden meanings!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Ha! Maybe I should have left it as Team Coyote! Hidden meanings!

Missed opportunities! :yes:

Here’s the hounds.

Remember among the rural South these were common sounds to hear.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Note: My dogs being true Florida Crackers such as myself, they got quite worked up with the screening of these videos! B-)

My rendition of the rebel yell gets an equally exuberant response from my pack!

Max
                          Keymaster

I have Redbone Coonhounds.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have Redbone Coonhounds.

I had one as a child, in my opinion they are smarter than many of the typical hound breeds.

Do they like to sing along with emergency vehicles, like the coyote video, many hounds like to relay the emergency sirens call. :-)

hellokitty
                              Participant

Can you imagine several regiments advancing on your position,with bayonets leveled, and a continuous rebel yell? Psychology warfare.

Further, by the end of war how battle hardened the yank troops were that the rebel yell didn’t scare them anymore?

The old campaigners on both sides were hard men.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                                HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                                FOF X3
                                OPFOR X2
                                CLC X2
                                RIFLEMAN

hellokitty
                                Participant

Also, the origins of the rebel yell was borrowed heavily from indians. Remember Texas was still fighting the Commanches. It is reported the Texas Brigade mimicked commanches when rebel yell. But most southerners grandfathers had most likely fought indians in their states. So they knew how bloodcurdling that yell was.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                                  HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                                  FOF X3
                                  OPFOR X2
                                  CLC X2
                                  RIFLEMAN

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.