The Lament for the Rohirrim (+ more on Saxon Housecarls).

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Multi Media The Lament for the Rohirrim (+ more on Saxon Housecarls).

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 months, 1 week ago by Max. This post has been viewed 194 times
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Came across this. Very evocative. There is much in J.R.R. Tolkien.

Who are the Rohirrim from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy?

To me, they are the Saxons. The Saxon Housecarls were horse-mobile warriors. Not so romantic as in LOR, but they would move by horse and fight in the shield wall.

This is how the army of Harold Godwinson was able to move to the North, 200 miles, to fight and defeat the arny of the Viking Harald Hardrada at Stamford Bridge. That is a few miles east of York, a place I used to live. Yorkshire and Northumbria was at one time part of ‘Danelaw’. This is real history, not the fun but silly stuff of popular TV.

Every year the locals float toy boats down under the bridge? Why? A Saxon Axe-Warrior (fighting with the Dane Axe) stood his ground on the bridge in the face of the advancing Vikings, whose flag was a black raven, in order to allow Harold King of England’s army time to deploy. The Vikings were unable to dislodge this hero, and eventually killed him with spears by floating down the river in a boat and killing him from underneath.

At the news of another landing on the south coast by William of Normandy, another Viking King from Northern France where the Northmen had settled ‘Northmandy’, Harold drove his army south.

The two armies met at Hastings in 1066, a fateful day. The Normans were unable to break the Saxon shield wall, so they pulled a feint, and pretended to run away. Despite orders, the Saxon shield wall broke in order to pursue them. And the Norman horse charged. King Harold was struck in the eye with an arrow and died on the field. His loyal Housecarls died around him, refusing to leave the field on which their king was dead, keeping their oath to him.

This is how Norman rule began, and it is recorded on the Bayeaux Tapestry, a pictoral recording of events. William, forever known as the Conqueror.

There is history prior to the American Colonies, 1776.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Max.
        • This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Max.
        Max
        Keymaster
          Max
          Keymaster

Something on housecarls. And the value of training. AGiving the lie to the armed farmer myth:

Housecarls at Hastings: Why Viking Age Elite Laid Down Their Lives for Anglo-Saxon England

JC
            Participant

Fascinating Max.

I love this lament. The Lord of the Rings has been hailed as one of the Greatest (if not the greatest) works of fiction of the twentieth century. I’m a huge fan.

What many do not know, is the Norman ruling class were descendants of the famed Norsemen, and Viking, Rollo (“Rolf the Walker”) and his followers. William the Conqueror was the great great great Grandson of Rollo. The Saxons of course was also descendants of much earlier “Norseman” (North Germanic/Scandinavian) invasions. It is fascinating how the successive waves of Germanic/Scandinavian invaders shaped Britain. Queen Elizabeth II is a direct descendant of Rollo.

Another fact is Norman nobility Richard Quarrel (and brothers) of the Drengot family and Robert Guiscard of the Hauteville family had huge influence in early medieval Europe. They challenged the Pope, and created their own kingdoms/dynasties in Italy and Sicily.

Few figures in history have as much impact as Rollo.

Hessian
              Participant

I was unaware that there was an invasion and conquest of England back 50 years prior, or that the English fought 19 days prior against another invading force.

Interesting play on the Riders of Rohirrim, I know that Tolkien used the Battle of Vienna September 12, 1683 for inspiration in the battle of the 5 armies from the hobbit. I was unaware of him taking Saxon Housecarls as the basis for the Riders themselves.

Thanks for the history lesson.

There is history prior to the American Colonies, 1776.

The general american public would say your wrong. Murica! :yahoo:

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Hessian.
                Max
                Keymaster

So, you can’t fight Mordor?

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.