The Culpeper Volunteers

View Latest Activity

Home Forums MVT News & Training Updates The Culpeper Volunteers

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Above: Announcing the Culpeper Volunteers at the Culpeper 2A Rally last Saturday.

Culpeper Volunteers Page

Culpeper Volunteers is a pro-bono training drive by Max Velocity Tactical. It is aimed primarily at residents of Culpeper County, Virginia. The purpose is to promote self-defense capability within the County.

We ran the first training event for the Culpeper Volunteers this past Sunday 12 January. It was made possible by a number of MVT Alumni showing up – this was because a number of equipment issues would have slowed training if we did not have the attentiveness of a number of alumni with the students as RSOs. It is safe to say that the event proved that training is definitely needed, mostly due to equipment shenanigans. The range day was modified and simplified from the first day of a HEAT 0.5 / HEAT 1 class and adjusted to meet the pace of the students.

I cannot emphasize more that people need to get on top of the equipment issues. Safe to say, there were a number more equipment issues than we face on a paid MVT class, because people are generally at a higher state of preparedness when they come to one. We have a compilation of notes from Scott (‘First Sergeant’) on the forum, and I will put the link below here. This is highly recommended reading:

Compilation of Observations on Gear / Classes by Scott (First Sergeant)

There are a number more posts in that same section of the MVT Forum:

Essential Information for MVT Classes

And the MVT forum overall is a goldmine of ‘free’ information which is available to you whether or not you come on a class. Please use it to get yourself set up.

More info from the Culpeper Volunteers Page:

(Page found in website top menu > training > Culpeper Volunteers)

Culpeper Volunteers started as a Facebook Group, which will continue to be used, but events posted within the MVT training calendar will become the primary organizer.

The priority of these classes will be a number of single-day introductory training events focusing on carbine (AR15) self-defense skills. As time goes on, additional classes may be organized.

Max lives in Culpeper County, Virginia. The Max Velocity Tactical training facility (Velocity Training Center – VTC) is located two hours away in Romney, WV. For those interested in classes at that location, please refer to the classes under the ‘Classes’ tab in the website menu. Culpeper Volunteers training events will be held at private ranges in Culpeper County.

Class dates will be published on the MVT Training Calendar, and announced on the Culpeper Volunteers FB page. If you are interested in attending:

• Ensure you have the equipment listed below.
        • Preference is for Culpeper County Residents. If you are from nearby, you may get a space available.
        • Email to max@maxvelocitytactical.com with your training request and place of residence.

Equipment for a basic range day:

• AR15 (5.56) rifle (AR platform only).
        • (Ensure your rifle is well lubed, bring lube and if in doubt we will take care of it for you).
        • 300 (approx) 5.56 rounds.
        • 6 x 30 round magazines.
        • Load bearing equipment i.e. chest rig or belt pouches to carry at least 2 magazines.
        • Eye protection
        • Ear protection – preferably electronic, such as Howard Leight.
        • Lunch / snacks / water / hydration.
        • Appropriate clothing for the weather.
        • You will be expected to take kneeling and standing positions.

The day will be an introduction to safety, weapon manipulation, stoppage / malfunction clearance, shooting positions, and progression will depend on the base standard of those attending.

Max
        Keymaster

Help me out here with some rational advice. I sent this post out as a mailer and so far have had one response offering to send money. Not Bloomberg level donations but a small amount, but that would knock a dent in a monthly allowance for normal folks.

Trying to get my head around that. Should I accept this? I could certainly use it for more target stands, backers and targets, because this training is now going to happen on local ranges in Culpeper where I likely have to supply the equipment, set up tear down kind of affair.

But I am offering free training to people in Culpeper, and people from other states are offering money. I don’t want to take away the side of it being free (and one range I think I am going to move to, is offering me free use through Jan – March but will have to charge me $200 per day for the busy season).

I guess each time I run a range day I am spending on target supplies, my demo ammo (my time is not an issue here), and come summer, range fees. I was wondering about asking students to pony up the range fee when that happens.

Should I accept money? :unsure:

Spencer
          Participant

Way to be REAL Max! Very cool. I hope the good folks of Culpeper realize the resource that you’re offering them. Good idea to go with H.E.A.T 0.25… ;-)

DCH 10/2019
            H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

Max
            Keymaster

Way to be REAL Max! Very cool. I hope the good folks of Culpeper realize the resource that you’re offering them. Good idea to go with H.E.A.T 0.25… ;-)

I didn’t think to call it HEAT 0.25 but that works, and is descriptive of what we are doing.

Spencer
              Participant

I’ll let others chime in on whether or not to take contributions to the cause, but on the face of it, given that the individual checks out with a cursory vetting, I don’t see a problem.

DCH 10/2019
                H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

DiznNC
                Participant

I don’t see an issue with it. Just make sure you emphasize this is merely to cover expenses, not buy you a Mercedes.

More of a club or co-op set up, where you are just pooling bucks to pay for expenses, nothing more.

Unless Soros or Bloomberg want to contribute.

DuaneH
                  Participant

Having been and instructor and state co-ordinator for project appleseed, I will chime in a little.

I occasionally got offered money as state co-ordinator. (at the time the program did not have a definite policy on donations like this. Now monies have to be sent in to national.) At first I didn’t want to take it as I considered it an offense to my sense of honor. I wasn’t an instructor for the money, but for me it was a way to give back to society.

After consulting with several people more senior that me, I began accepting it. Some of the good advice I got was “some people can’t do anything else due physical or other issues, but they can give money.” Which in some sense is the ultimate “putting your money where your mouth is” investment.

Some other advice I got was to use it for a very specific purpose. (just don’t put it into your wallet for gas.) This piece of advice would allow me to take the moral high ground in case anyone ever asked what happened to the money. So I used it to print flyers, etc.

Ultimately the argument that won me over was this. I was driving all over the southeast to teach and try to set up new sites at my own expense. Would accepting the money allow me to do more? For me the answer was yes.

I say take the money. Spend it on something tangible (target stands, etc) and send the giver a note explaining what you did with it.

This all assumes that the giver isn’t a federal agent plant trying to infiltrate.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by DuaneH.
                    DuaneH
                    Participant

Also while I understand your drive to offer this for free, keep in mind that in some people’s eyes that something they didn’t pay for is often something they don’t value. Not saying you need to charge money, but you may want to consider creative ways to make the participants stakeholders and finding non-monetary ways for them to invest in the training.

Spencer
                      Participant

Having been and instructor and state co-ordinator for project appleseed

DuaneH – This is slightly off topic but still related to the furtherance of the MVT cause. I have attended several Appleseed events starting back in 2008, including boot camp at the home range in Ramseur, NC.

I feel that there should be a natural synergy between Appleseed and MVT. I believe that MVT is the next step in the progression that starts with Appleseed and wonder what your thoughts are on the subject? I would love to see a healthy relationship develop between the two organizations.

DCH 10/2019
                        H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

wildbill
                        Participant

Take the money use it for materials i.e. targets, stands, training materials etc. keep a record and send it to those that donated the money.

Not everyone has the time or ability to physically participate but they can contribute money- honor their help by using it as intended.

Tony S
                          Participant

Watch out for tax liability issues would be my main advice. If donated to you personally, it becomes an issue of it being declared income on your 1040. If ‘donated’ to a business, not a charity, then it’s also technically business income, although reporting gets kind of wonky sometimes. FWIW I am not an accountant or tax expert, but I have a small side business and have encountered this issue before. Just remember that when they can’t ‘get’ you for anything else, governments like to fall back on tax ‘enforcement’. My dos centavos.

fabio
                            Participant

Accept the money.

Most of us have attended mobile classes elsewhere and understand there is sometimes a “range fee.” Tuition goes to the guest instructor, a range fee goes to the host. Of course the range fee can change depending upon the cost; $10 for the free range, $20 for the rental range, $30 if pop up ivans are used, whatever.

The training is still free. Consumable materiel and range rental are not fee. This isn’t a lot of money.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by fabio.
                          Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.