The Average Joe's Shooting Journey

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Essential Information for MVT Classes The Average Joe's Shooting Journey

• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 6 months ago by RRS. This post has been viewed 783 times
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      A_A_Ron2guns
      Participant

This started as a response in the 2gun competition thread but it got longer and I thought it would make a better post. Read to the end. There’s a test after.

It starts with buying a gun and putting it in your sock drawer and getting that prophylactic safe feeling. Until you do some thinking and realize how dumb it is to leave it there. It does you no good in a hurry and honestly you don’t know much past what uncle Jim taught you years ago. Let’s be real here too. Your uncle Jim probably didn’t know shit either.

Then you decide that going to the next step makes sense and you start shooting it at a local shity indoor range. You buy only the ammo you really need that day. Self defense ammo is too expensive so you just keep FMJ in the “clips.” Yeah you called them clips. You know you did.

After a few trips you start realizing that the guy next to you has a target with holes a lot closer together and a lot further away from the table so. Why is that? I wonder. Hello YouTube. Hello training scars.

You finally take a weekend clinic with a no-name instructor from that local range. This is also where you get your CCW permit. Most people stop here. Not you. You’re dedicated. Maybe it’s time to buy some of that expensive self defense ammo.

Now you’re carrying your gun. Cool beans. If it’s in that sweet nylon Walmart holster you probably haven’t taken the next step which is a real no shit training course. In the mean time you probably watched a bunch of YouTube videos and started building some really bad training scars. The good news is you’re way ahead of the power curve, you’ve learned a little bit and it’s fun. Now when you hang out with uncle Jim you know for a fact he doesn’t know shit about gun. You’ll probably buy a few more. Each one of these stages is progressively longer than the other. Going to a real no shit training course probably took you a few years. If at all…..

Until you bite the bullet and drop the 3-5 bills on a guy that no one in your circle of friends knows but probably a few shooters have heard of. The weekend is fun and hard and you learned a ton. You realize now or when you get the training packet your nylon holster sucks. You’ve developed some really bad training scars, you’re not as good as you think you are but damn it that course was a blast!

You can’t spend $400 every month though because your wife will divorce you and the kids can’t eat ramen everyday so how do you keep yourself sharp? Keep skill up? The shity indoor range is to expensive too and you can’t practice draws, rapid fire or movement. Basically all the important parts of a gun fight like Mr. Weekend instructor taught you. What’s the answer then?

Local competitions. IDPA, IPSC, 3gun…..2gun?

So where are you on the scale? Where do you want to be? What’s holding you back?

Cost, ego?

Robert
        Participant

That’s a pretty accurate breakdown Aaron, bravo!

And don’t leave out the fact that it is drilled into them during the 4 hour state required CCW class that they never in fact want to actually fire their weapon in anger, because “every bullet has a lawyer attached.” And similar mind Fu$#s that are put there to add hesitation when the time comes. This later shows up when you do force on force with said people and they just can’t bring themselves to actually shot AT another human.

Too often we focus on the hardware, while the software is pre-DOS but since the hardware is “so shiny…so chrome!” we feel we are GTG.

wesmc
          Participant

@A_A_Ron2guns – You wrote my book!

“Where is A-A-Ron, right now?” :yahoo:

BrothersKeeper
            Participant

The whole staying married part really hits the mark. I wish I would have discovered MVT at the beginning of this journey instead of the middle. I could have spent a lot less on stupid gear and gone to a few more classes at the VTC. Live and learn.

wheelsee
              Participant

The whole staying married part really hits the mark. I wish I would have discovered MVT at the beginning of this journey instead of the middle. I could have spent a lot less on stupid gear and gone to a few more classes at the VTC. Live and learn.

Maybe……..how many times has Max, 1st Sgt, and others given advice and people STILL don’t want to listen but try something on their own……it wasn’t “stupid gear” when you bought it (at least, I hope it wasn’t, that’s a WHOLE nuther problem if it was)…..it’s a human trait….

wesmc
                Participant

The whole staying married part really hits the mark. I wish I would have discovered MVT at the beginning of this journey instead of the middle….Live and learn.

Had I discovered MVT about 19 years ago, I’d still be a bachelor. B-)

RRS
                  Participant

Or you take the marketing term “Modern Sporting Rifle” literally and think “WTF is the point anyway?”

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.