Tactical Questions

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Tactical Questions

• This topic has 23 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Max. This post has been viewed 836 times
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Don’t wait for myself or others to think of a topic that we will post on. If you have a tactical question, ask it.

We can also so the same for questions in other areas, such as communications, Intel etc.

If we get a tactical question in this thread, the intent will be to break it out into another thread. Here, in this thread, is for the questions. New threads answering the questions.

Don’t be dismayed if we refer you to somewhere where this is already answered, such as the tactical manual, or even at class. I have little sympathy for those who merely want free chicken and seem to think they can learn by osmosis rather than put the hard work in to get properly trained. However, ask it and we will see about an answer.

I may potentially use it as materiel for a YouTube. Or you may get a written answer.

I’m surmising that we may get questions for clarification of subjects taught, application of techniques etc. That sort of thing.

Fire away!

hellokitty
        Participant

Max
          With your experience in Northern Ireland, can you cover setting up checkpoints? Both foot traffic and vehicular. I can see this a valuable tool for protecting neighborhoods, etc. Thanks

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
          HEAT 2 (CP) X1
          FOF X3
          OPFOR X2
          CLC X2
          RIFLEMAN

farmer
          Participant

:good: Excellent request Kitty :good:

Max
            Keymaster

Max
              With your experience in Northern Ireland, can you cover setting up checkpoints? Both foot traffic and vehicular. I can see this a valuable tool for protecting neighborhoods, etc. Thanks

I can break this out into a seperate thread. However, please clarify: we used to mainly run mobile vehicle checkpoints (VCPs). Do you mean that, or entry control points into bases? I did a section on VCPs / ECPs in Contact. Can’t recall if I carried it over to the Tactical Manual.

BILLY
              Participant

since Craig is apparently sleeping in today and not replying Ill request VCP’s!

RobRoy
                Participant

Years ago you wrote a blog post about a single man out conducting some kind of operation, can that be expanded to a two man team, maybe on a mission to apply some long range energy delivery or anything that tickles your fancy?

Max
                  Keymaster

Max

Answered HERE.

hellokitty
                      Participant

Thank you sir

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                        HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                        FOF X3
                        OPFOR X2
                        CLC X2
                        RIFLEMAN

Max
                      Keymaster

Years ago you wrote a blog post about a single man out conducting some kind of operation, can that be expanded to a two man team, maybe on a mission to apply some long range energy delivery or anything that tickles your fancy?

Sounds like a story is wanted?

RobRoy
                        Participant

My memory is hazy, probably when the porch snipers and beekeepers were razzing you and you tried to reason with them, but I don’t know for sure. Yeah it would probably be a “story”, but to me it is kind of practical because honestly finding a fire team would be improbable and if I did find a team if it did not have solid professional authority such as a real vet with real experience it would be solid DERP top to bottom because of some mathematical certainty that more morons is morons squared or something. My thinking in SHTF two people can reason with one another.

JC
                          Participant

Our contact drills usually assumes that we are taking fire and/or we have positively identified the contact as armed and hostile. But what if we have not taken fire, and are not sure if the contact is actually hostile.

Perhaps it is an armed group from a nearby farm (potential ally), or some other non-hostile/neutral group.

We would not fire, but would ‘bomb bust’ and get on line (or perhaps maneuver) in case the contact turns hostile. But what then?

Besides maintaining cover and being tactically ready to respond in case the contact does turn out to be a threat, what are your thoughts on how to proceed?

I realize this is going to be highly situational, but any suggestions on how to deescalate a chance encounter and minimize the risk of an inadvertent firefight? What is the best way to try to establish communication? Any actual lessons learned, or ‘best practices’ from such encounters, or maybe an SOP we can train too?

Max
                            Keymaster

@JC – you may be referring to an ‘enemy pre-seen’ ‘action on’ drill. We cover this at HEAT 2 or in fact any force on force. Seek cover / Move away / establish a hasty ambush, etc.

If you are referring to a contact where both sides have seen each other but there is no shooting, then that will be situation dependent and reference your historical knowledge of the situation at that time. .

jriggs
                              Participant

Max you stated in another post “…it does not matter where you learn your SUT, whether that be in the woods or the desert, because the principles are the same, and thus SUT is simply adapted to the working environment.”
                                What are some of the adaptations you would make for a fairly flat desert vs forested hills.

Team Rekkr

First Sergeant

Larger intervals between individual team members, teams and squads.

A normal interval between team members is 5 meters. In an desert I could open that up to 20 meters or more depending on the situation.

If you have two fire teams moving in a traveling over watch in forested hills the interval between them may be 50 meters. Sometimes a little closer other times a little further, terrain dependent. That means that they have to be close enough to be mutually supportive. In a desert environment that may open up to 100 meters or more.

It is all situation dependent but a flat desert environment allows you to see much further than say the VTC. The reason for the distance is so that if your lead element gets into contact the rear element is not and can maneuver accordingly.

FILO
                                    Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

jriggs
                                      Participant

Thanks first sergeant. Very helpful.

Team Rekkr

hellokitty
                                        Participant

This meme possibly shows the spacing that @firstsergeant is talking about in open terrain. And it is funny as hell. Sucks to have to make that bound.

Attachments:
                                          You must be logged in to view attached files.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                                          HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                                          FOF X3
                                          OPFOR X2
                                          CLC X2
                                          RIFLEMAN

Max
                                          Keymaster

Yes.

Also a factor is visibility in terms of control measures for flank attacks. In close country (jungle / bush) you may be forced to attack online rather than using a flank, due to being unable to spot to shift fire. In the desert you may have a lot more visibility. But it also depends on the actual terrain. Any open area whether desert or open plain will be affected by terrain (flat or undulating) and use of dead ground for approaches etc. Then you get to another extreme of canyons being kill zones etc.

Given trees vs jungle you can imagine differences on where you may establish LUP / RON / patrol base positions.

This also applies to urban where you have a 3 dimensional environment. The basics are the same but you have to layer on CQB techniques for inside buildings, factors such as staying out of open area kill zones etc. So urban is built on the same basics but layered with another layer of complexity, which is why it is so much more dangerous.

Max
                                        Keymaster

Max you stated in another post “…it does not matter where you learn your SUT, whether that be in the woods or the desert, because the principles are the same, and thus SUT is simply adapted to the working environment.”
                                          What are some of the adaptations you would make for a fairly flat desert vs forested hills.

I’m gonna be out for the weekend with family. I’ll get to this, or also someone else such as Scott can jump in. @firstsergeant

Max
                                          Keymaster

I’m gonna be out for the weekend with family. Keep stacking the questions and I will get to them. Also, other SMEs can jump om them, First Sergeant. Joe jumped on one yesterday.

RobRoy
                                            Participant

Maybe the smarter folk here can come up with a question or questions out of this situation in Mexico where the cartel took on the authorities to release a cartel boss. Good ol ElChapo and his boys showing some serious iron, one pickup had what looked like a M-2 another car had a RPG and a para model 249. You can find the videos floating about on twitter from all sides. One of the bystanders shows the cartels jacking cars to use.

dave37
                                              Participant

I have a mostly idle question for those here who have worked with foreign militaries. How do other militaries solve the basic problems of squad level combat? Max said something at CLC about a country (Denmark?) where they attack a position in single file with machine guns firing from the right and left, and then go on line for the final assault (the “revolving door attack”, as I recall). At this point, from training and reading I have some idea how an American or British squad would handle a basic tactical problem, but what about a radically different military like the Chinese, Russians, or Israelis? Does every army suppress the enemy position and then try to flank? It may be a case of everyone reaching approximately the same solution to the same problem, but then again maybe other militaries have unique solutions. Just curious.

HEAT 1 2017
                                                Intro to CQB 2017
                                                Texas HEAT 2 2018
                                                Operation TeaSinker 2019
                                                Combat Leader Course 2019
                                                Team Coyote
                                                Team Rekkr
                                                Team Cowbell

Max
                                                  Keymaster

I will come back with more info on the Danes. It is the ‘saloon door’ concept. mentioned as an option for sequencing bunkers on CLC.

There is a whole study on Soviet tactics. Less sure about chinese. I can say a little about Soviet. Happy for others to jump in with other nations.

Remember to break these topics out into threads.

AntMan
                                                  Participant

How would the defensive positions from clc be modified for a real world scenario? Is it as simple as heavier materials and more spacing?

What are some things to look for when setting up your own positions? Thanks

2xcqbc
                                                    1xclc

Max
                                                    Keymaster

How would the defensive positions from clc be modified for a real world scenario? Is it as simple as heavier materials and more spacing?

What are some things to look for when setting up your own positions? Thanks

This is a hard one because we never built real defensive positions and at the most had a roughly triangular layout of ‘bunkers’ so that you could practices sequencing in the attack. Many of the Intel reports on the positions described them as ‘patrol bases’ but we used deadfall bunkers to define positions. If you were attacking a patrol base without entrenched enemy then it would look more like the YouTube of the Texas Raid. Thus, a fight through of the position whether by the assault through or skirmishing fire and movement techniques.

Thus what I am saying is there was an inherent ‘exercise unrealism’ in what we did, which also accommodated use of FoF rather than live fire, but allowed you to get the idea of sequencing onto defined positions, and what we were trying to achieve.

There is a chapter in the tactical manual on defense. If they were real dug-in positions, whether trenches or bunkers, then they would be sited to best cover approaches, dug in, mutually supporting and in depth.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.