Tactical Manual: Follow Up

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Tactical Manual: Follow Up

• This topic has 27 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 8 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 128 times
Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Having published the book, I’m taking a break this weekend for my youngest’s second birthday. Next week we get back into the training season with the first HEAT class at the VTC for 2018. The announcement thread went a little to pot due to the stalled rollout with the back cover re-upload. So I started this new thread.

The book is now properly up on Amazon and the paperback and kindle versions are now showing as options on the same page.

I am happy if people want to notify me of any typos missed during editing, I’ll need to know what and where to find it. Don’t expect immediate action from me on that, as said I am taking a break.

The next project will be the Field Companion, which will be what the Manual was originally intended to be. I will probably also publish that as a paperback, and then in slower time look at lamination / spiral binding options to sell myself as an option. Don’t hold your breath.

We can use this thread as a start point for any questions that you have arising from reading the TM. I may answer in another thread depending.

Make no mistake, the TM is not Contact. I brought a little in from there, but mainly rewrote the whole thing. There is a huge amount of new or more detailed material in there, including the full skinny on CQB.

Comments, questions and feedback on the TM here please.

Max
        Keymaster

Just bumping this. We have one review so far from Darkrivers. So it is sitting at 5 stars. Helping the cause, please get to your reviews if you can. Why? There is some basement dweller who saw this on Survibalblog who is getting ready to make a review based on the fact, or similar, that it is not the Ranger Handbook, or FM whatever, or whatever….let’s get them in before the morons, so the average balance stays good.
          Thanks.

Incipient
          Participant

Picked it up on kindle. Trying to get through it as a refresher before HEAT 1 next week and then will get a review up.

In an initial stage; beginning to happen or develop.

Brushpopper
            Participant

Enjoy your break with the family!
              Will put up a review asap, book should be here next week it says! :yahoo:

JohnnyMac
              Participant

Just got it in the mail. Thumbing though it, here’s my first take:

-it strikes a good balance between brevity and completeness. I mean this in a good way, but this is what I had in mind for Contact when buying it. It’s straight and to the point and is a good memory jogger
                -although you lay it out right after the cover page, this is an ideal supplement to training, not the other way around. That will be lost on many purchasers
                -I saw a few typos, I can get you specifics in the next few days, same goes for a review
                -one thing I really like is how it fuses some older things that are important but are getting forgotten in the current environment, along with lessons learned from the present
                -overall I think you should feel really great about this, in my opinion, it’s your best work to date. I hope you reap a financial benefit from this!

Signs are pointing toward a sick day for me tomorrow, so I’m hoping to get you some more feedback in the morning.

Max
                Keymaster

Thanks guys. Nice to get some feedback – fragile author egos and all that!

@JohnnyMac – compile a list of typos and I can update the manuscript. They are so hard to eliminate even after multiple read-throughs.

D Close –

D Close
                  Keymaster
                  The TM is just friggin excellent! Pocket sized and jam packed. Plenty of clear diagrams and explanations for even the dimmest bulbs. Much more than Contact! and essential for those who have attended training and those that plan to go. I couldn’t be happier. The condensate of numerous FMs and TTPs, this is something a TL puts in his ruck or leg pocket for continual reference to train, review and plan. Multiple copies for your guys, especially the one’s who haven’t shown up yet. :good:

I quoted you from the other thread. Trying to bring it all here. This is the type of information that needs to be in reviews. Seen multiple comments on FB about whether it is a reprint, or how is it different from FM 7-8 etc. They just don’t get it and won’t inless they are made aware and read it. This TM gives you depth, options, and simplicity. I fin the manuals pretty worthless, and the Ranger Handbook narrow and prescriptive.

Max
                  Keymaster

From the blog just now:

The MVT Tactical Manual is currently the #1 New Release on Amazon.com: Survival and Emergency Preparedness genre!

But, so what. That’s all good marketing speak, but probably pretty irrelevant due to the spike in initial sales after the manual went up on Amazon. The real point is that this Tactical Manual is not written for that genre, it is written as a light infantry manual that can of course be used by responsible armed citizens. It can equally be used by light infantry, special operations or paramilitary organizations.

I have had several questions on Facebook:

1) Is this a reprint?

No, this is not a reprint of any previous books. There are some common areas, such as vehicle drills, to Contact!, but other than that the manual was written from scratch to cover small unit tactics in great detail, including new areas such as detail on CQB etc.

2) Why buy this rather than, for example, FM 7-8 or The Ranger handbook?

This Tactical Manual goes into great depth on small unit tactics with what you actually need to know to conduct them, informed by personal lessons and experience, and also offers you several different ways of doing things. For example, three types of deliberate ambush over 30 pages on the subject. If you are an armed citizen, military manuals are actually pretty terrible, and the Ranger Handbook is very trammeled and prescriptive to specific tactics or ways of doing things. Although the TM gives you ways of specifically conducting operations, it also gives you reasons why and options. If you are military, this will broaden your knowledge and application. The TM is not a re-hash of FM 7-8 as so many are, but rather the result of British / U.S. training and experience informed by personal experience and lessons learned, best practices.

A comment from today on the forum:

D Close:

The TM is just friggin excellent! Pocket sized and jam packed. Plenty of clear diagrams and explanations for even the dimmest bulbs. Much more than Contact! and essential for those who have attended training and those that plan to go. I couldn’t be happier. The condensate of numerous FMs and TTPs, this is something a TL puts in his ruck or leg pocket for continual reference to train, review and plan. Multiple copies for your guys, especially the one’s who haven’t shown up yet.

Latest Amazon Review:

Dave P:

A very well written and readable tactical manual. You can’t learn tactics just from reading, but as an adjunct to Max’s training this book is invaluable.
                    There are other books about small unit tactics available, but most if not all are regurgitated US military manuals, which rely on weapon systems, numbers, and logistical support unavailable to the average prepared citizen. Max’s book is written for just this citizen, and presumes that the unit will be armed with no more than small arms. Fire and movement tactics are the focus, rather than simple dominance by superior firepower.
                    This is a very accessible book for anyone wishing to take the next step in their firearms training, and move from individual skills to team tactics. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

LINK TO AMAZON

JohnnyMac
                    Participant

Below are typos I caught. I’m ignoring grammar, like comma usage, as this is a manual, not a novel or something. I just have the corrected version written

pg 3, under muzzle flash: Without Night Vision, at night, fire can be returned

pg 18, hand signal protocol: …it must be understood that some hand signals…

pg 47, Manuever Support Group: …if a platoon leader has two a gun teams

pg 58, suggested rewording to: Remember that contact is not static; your riflemen will move, even to work their cover, and if the enemy moves and the safety angle becomes too tight, fire might be tracked onto friendly troops.

pg 70, 2nd paragraph: Although the enemy is suppressed when the assault through

pg 83, towards bottom: Can I identify a best solution for support by fire….

This review goes up to pg 100. I’ll review more as time permits.

Pewtin
                      Participant

Received the manual this morning.
                        Amazon review done as follows:

“Precise and to the point! This manual covers a multitude of operational “how-to’s” and “know how’s”. The manual is presented in a clear and to the point style. Anyone reading this manual will be able to visualize the content in their mind, the specifics and details are easy to comprehend and retain.”

Team Rekkr

Max
                        Keymaster

Reviews have started to go up, thank you for that, much appreciated, and keep them coming.

I know you are being helpful, and it is most likely true, but my intent when writing the manual was not just something for civilians to use, but something that was equally applicable to military or any type of special ops or paramilitary team. If it is easier to understand for civilians, then I hope it is easier to understand for military – but my point being, this is not dumbed-down in any way for the civilian market, these are deadly serious real world drills described.

kadelic
                          Participant

After perusing the Kindle version I got the hard copy today. It’s thicker than I thought it would be. I appreciate the glossary at the back to recall all the abbreviations. Definitely an inspiration to get my shit together and sign up for a class.

I know you are being helpful, and it is most likely true, but my intent when writing the manual was not just something for civilians to use, but something that was equally applicable to military or any type of special ops or paramilitary team. If it is easier to understand for civilians, then I hope it is easier to understand for military – but my point being, this is not dumbed-down in any way for the civilian market, these are deadly serious real world drills described.

I just submitted a review before seeing this post. I mentioned the manual being geared toward civilians. Once my review went live I did a quick edit to add that it is also applicable for military personnel. Hope this helps, and thank you for your hard work.

TC
                            Participant

FYI, it’s been posted at Soldier Systems Daily.

Got the hardcopy today. I need a couple days before reviewing. Nice job on the book design though. The matte cover, sans-serif font, formatting, cover design, and dimensions are perfect. Digging into the content now.

Max
                              Keymaster

What does ‘#1 New Release in Survival and Emergency Preparedness’ look like?

It looks like 400 paperback copies sold since we went live last Friday. Not bad, but I am not rich yet, and that is really a relatively few people that are being positively influenced.

Thanks for the reviews so far, and please get one up there if you can. Help establish the reputation of manual and get the word out.

Oh, and it might be good for civilian training, but it is a full-on legitimate military manual. B-)

About to head up to the VTC. Apparently 6 inches of snow so far, and Fred has been out plowing the road….

Lloyd
                                Participant

400 books sold in a few days, for a relatively small niche, doesn’t seem too bad to me at all! Once the word gets around, I’d expect this to go into several more editions and sell copies for many years.

I just received my copy this afternoon, and I’m a slow reader, so it will be a week or two before I post a review on Amazon. At first glance it looks GREAT!
                                  :good:

farmer
                                  Participant

Typo- In the Annex B- Team Leader description, at the end:
                                    ” The mission planning tools included in this TH . . .” Location 6043
                                    TH should be TM
                                    Annex B- Training Classes: TH appears in the first sentence. Location 5906
                                    Combat Doctrine- Dislocate:- the word “f ix” Location 4249

Kindle version

If TH is meant as ” Tactical Handbook”, I didn’t see TH in the glossary.

TM ( Tactical Manual ) is in the glossary

Max
                                    Keymaster

Bumping this. We have had time for people to start reading the manual. Questions?

Max
                                      Keymaster

Amazon reviews? We have been stuck at 12 for a while now. Are there onky 12 of you who care enough to help out with a review?

Roadkill
                                        Participant

Just did a review. Name is Captain Roy. Just so you know it’s from one of us.

RobRoy
                                          Participant

Halfway thru will review when done.

Brushpopper
                                            Participant

Been reading it, just have not finished it yet. Been so busy with family and work this past month since class.

Max
                                              Keymaster

16 Reviews now! Woohoo!

Who said you have to read it to put up a 5 Star?! Sheesh.

:yahoo:

RobM
                                                Participant

17…

wheelsee
                                                  Participant

For those waiting to finish before reviewing, why?? when?? I’ve only gotten through the first several chapters but I can at least comment on those. With my work schedule right now, I’m going to be lucky to finish reading by Fall. Something else I picked up on reading – I did NOT take notes the 1st class, so some of what Max is talking about is jogging the neurons a bit. I tend to read (tech manuals) a chapter several times, it helps me retain.

Repeating – post a review on what you have read. Amazon allows you to update your review as often as wanted (IIRC).

wesmc
                                                    Participant

:mail: 18

Max
                                                      Keymaster

Up to 20 reviews, it’s been 20 for a while now.

Robert
                                                        Participant

Just put one up but it hasn’t shown up yet.

It just shows the pic below and then says “buy the book”

RobRoy
                                                          Participant

Should be 22 reviews soon, reviews not my specialty for running my yapper it is a single sentence only.

Max
                                                            Keymaster

Bumping this. We are now up to 33 reviews. All were 5 star until the last two, where the assholes started creeping in with 4 stars. Nothing bad to say about the TM, but just 4 stars. Why bother?

Anyway, if you have a chance, help alter the balance. Once the amazon algorithm tips we will never get it back to 5 stars.

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.