Silly Question: No need for pistol at CTT, right?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Essential Information for MVT Classes Silly Question: No need for pistol at CTT, right?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      BrigandActual
      Participant

Hey guys, I’ll be heading to the RS/CTT here in a couple weeks. I am getting my gear together, and spent the afternoon loading mags in preparation. I did some searching around, but I just want to make sure I’m clear on this:

I don’t need to bother bringing a pistol, holster, or pistol ammo to CTT, right? I mean, I could do it for shits and giggles. But If it’s not going to be used, I’d rather save the weight.

farmer
        Participant

Question for you- If SHTF were to happen, would you carry one then?

If you answer YES, I would carry one during CTT.

I plan to unless cadre says otherwise.

If you are doing the October CTT, we will be classmates. :good:

farmer

GreenTip
          Participant

I took RS/CTT last week and carried mine. But it was not used. Good to carry the weight as it will part of most folks load. I think the pistol is not used as it creates a whole other avenue to class. You have people who might have never used the two in transition doing so in a stressful situation. More reps and length to class. Maybe it’s a time issue to get what needs to be done accomplished. I think it’s a combination of safety and time. Class is packed with info and I don’t see how you can add more. I wanted more reps on what we learned but it’s not possible in the 4 day mobile class it took. We were busy all day during class. I would say one of the moderators will answer.

Mike Q
            Participant

You won’t use your pistol. Carry it if you wish but I never have. Also bring at least 6 or 7 mags which are empty. Don’t load all of them. Make sure you mark your mags with some very bright colored tape. When you drop one on the lanes on Saturday and Sunday the leaves will be so thick you’ll never find it. I use a 3” wide piece of hot pink tape around all of mine. Haven’t lost one yet with the pink tape…

BrigandActual
              Participant

Thanks for the input guys.

While I get the idea of carrying the load I might carry if SHTF, I also dislike unneeded weight. I’m very comfortable with my handgun setup, and have competed with it for years. I want to focus on rifleman and team tactics for this event. The Beretta will stay in the safe.

I was going to grab a bunch of colored electrical tape. I was thinking orange or blue, but thought orange might blend I. With fall foliage and blue is usually found on simunutions mags. Pink is certainly something I hadn’t thought of.

wheelsee
                Participant

I was going to grab a bunch of colored electrical tape. I was thinking orange or blue, but thought orange might blend I. With fall foliage and blue is usually found on simunutions mags. Pink is certainly something I hadn’t thought of.

Look at the colored duct tape (the wide stuff). To prevent all the adhesive from sticking to my mags, I put the blue painter’s tape on first, then the colored duct tape. You’ll see a variety of colors, so may want to still write your name or mark with Sharpie on the tape (it will eventually rub off).

TC
                  Participant

Didn’t need pistol for CTT/DA but it’s a way to test your gear setup. I went minimalist on this one, nothing but 556 Patrol rig and water bottle pouch on belt. My focus was on learning the class and extraneous gear and weight would have been a distraction. Next time I take it, the material will be familiar which frees up “RAM” for wearing light battle belt and plate carrier. FYI, 4 mags minimimum on me (and one in gun) sufficed for all drills, and 18 loaded mags in my pack (left at the teaching hut) was more than enough for each day.

osozorro
                    Participant

5mags… GOTTA HAVE MORE COWBELL BABY!!!

Virgil Kane
                      Participant

You won’t use your pistol.

If you are concerned about your fitness and the extra weight then don’t take it. It’s a rifle class and you need to be able to focus on the rifle and tactics. If your fitness is good then it’s a good opportunity to check your gear and see what works when you are moving, changing mags and crawling on the ground.

Last week at the GA class we picked up several pistol mags and a flashlight that weren’t secured. I’m sure those fellows are now looking at other options for carrying that equipment, but they didn’t know they had a problem until they ran through the class with their gear.

BrigandActual
                        Participant

No concerns on fitness, I was just thinking logistics.

It seems evenly split on whether to bring one or not.

A_A_Ron2guns
                          Participant

The lanes always look like someone got dragged across the ground. Mags, flashlights, ammo, canteens, you name it. Haven’t found a pistol yet but it’s only a matter of time.

wesmc
                            Participant

Haven’t found a pistol yet but it’s only a matter of time.

Maybe not, but you saw one fall out on the range when a cheap, surplus universal holster failed. B-)

A_A_Ron2guns
                              Participant

Oh yeah….. damn I forgot a lot of stuff that happened but you guys are sharp!

There’s a reason max warns against that Walmart special. It doesn’t work!

Safariland, kydex or in your hand!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.