Sewing knee pads on your tactical pants

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Uniforms, Clothing and Footgear Sewing knee pads on your tactical pants

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Corvette
      Participant

I went out the other day with some taclite 5.11 pants and ripped the knee area.

Bergmann mentioned on one of his videos awhile back that he sews knee pad material on his goretex pants to double and triple thicken that area.

I need a new skill…..so I thought I would try to get some 500 or 1000 denier coyote, OD or MC material and try to sew an exterior rectangle on top of the synthetic pad that goes in the pocket inside the pants.

My wife, the seamstress says that I would have to open up the leg of the pants to do it and that the leg would never be as strong as it is now.

. I couldn’t find Ivar’s info on this site to private message him. But I thought other folks would like to know so I started a thread.

. Where is the best place to get tactical colored denier?

. Would you go with 500 or 1000 thickness?

. How big/long would you make the pad? What location north or south of the knee?

. How would you sew it? Can you do it with a machine? My wife can teach me how to use the sewing machine.

Any other thoughts?

farmer
        Participant

As your wife gives you instruction, write them down, then post them here.
          Put the pants on. put a piece of tape 1″ above your knee.
          get in kneeling position, put a piece of tape 1″ below your knee.

or put tape 2″ to either side.

sound reasonable as far as positioning??

how far did the original tear go? you may have to adjust accordingly

veritas556
          Participant

Everything you’ll need is here. Fast shipping, great prices.
            http://rockywoods.com/FABRICS/CORDURA

JohnnyMac
            Participant

This might help.

https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/diy-sewing-basics/

But yeah, like your wife said, you’d open the seam to get it flat so that you can patch it.

I second Rockywoods.

I would get 1000D.

I would make it as wide as the front fabric of the pants and sew it into the main seam. Length, about 8-10″?

Make sure you position it low enough, when you kneel, the part of the pants that contact the ground is lower than where your knee is when you’re standing.

A sturdy home machine will do, more details on the machine in the article I linked.

Corvette
              Participant

Thanks. I spoke with a lady at Tactical Tailor custom shop and she said that to do it right I need a Cylinder Sewing machine. Also called long arm sewing machine.

Good idea about sewing it onto the seam. I will check the video out as I don’t want to spend $1000 for a used cylinder machine.

Corvette
                Participant

WW2 para pants come to mind

mark9mmp
                  Participant

I got some 1000D multicam on amazon cheap. I had seamstress down the street sew it on an old set of multicam acus. From slightly above the knee to the ankle. Theyre now sorta like my bird hunting brush pants. It worked out well however my mistake was using a well worn pair to begin with which are now ripping in other areas. Other than that though its awesome. Keeps them drier as well when kneeling. I had her put some on the elbows of the acu blouse as well.

"Ah, so you're that dick"

Corvette
                    Participant

Good point regarding the quality of the pants in general. I was thinking of doing this to some Coyote TacLite 5.11 pants. But that material may be too thin to support the modification.

Back in the 90’s I was in a re-enactment group (D-Day) and had some 101st 1942 Airborne style para outfits. That material was also pretty thin and I dont recall there being a problem.

I think I will have a professional do the first pair on some too large 5.11’s and see what happens. I like the lite’s because they dry quickly

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.