Scope question

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Optics Scope question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Wysharpshooter79
      Participant

Got a question here. I have a Colt 6940, have used open sights on it for a while. Recently somebody gave me this scope in payment for some work I did for them:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009525559?pid=985450

Its a good scope, made in USA and such. The one thing though is that its lowest power is 3X. Was thinking of getting one of these or something similar:

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-1-4×24-tactical-30mm-riflescope-109309.html

Here in Wyoming, long shots are not uncommon, but for something within 50 yards or close, would the 3X be a problem? Was thinking of selling the 3-9 and getting the 1-4, that would cover both short and long. You guys out west, especially you guys that have trained in Idaho, whats your take on this? Should I stay with the 3-9 scope on my 6940 or go a different route? Of course, will need to save money for a new scope, but thats expected. Im open to any advice given. Thanks.

idahocajun
        Participant

I’ll give my experience and two cents for what it’s worth. My go to war rifle is a Colt 6960 and my wife’s a 6920. I run the Leupold Mark 6 1-6x with the 5.56 CMR reticle. Found some ammo that flies that reticle perfect, now I’m solid out to 600 yards consistently. My wife runs the vortex strike Eagle 1-8x. She’s solid out to 500 consistently with that, only draw back is it’s a SFP scope. I’m assuming your AO is similar to mine in Idaho. Personally, the 3-9x doesn’t make much sense unless you’re going to shoot consistently from a bench or a bipod. I’d sell it and get a solid 1 to 4 or something similar. Again, just my opinion on the matter, This is what worked for me. Good luck.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  idahocajun.
          Civilianresponder
          Participant

A bunch of the guys out here in TX are using LPV scopes. I’ve got a Nightforce nx8 1-8 and I really like it. Reaching out to 500 yards plus is not a big deal and at 1x it is pretty similar to my aimpoint. I don’t think a 3-9 would be fast enough in a lot of situations.

Wysharpshooter79
            Participant

Hey, thanks for the replies. Your guy’s opinions confirmed what I was thinking. Even looking through the scope at 3X, its still hard to pick out things fast at a closer distance. I will be selling the 3-9 and getting a 1-4. Thanks for the help.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.