Sawyer Mini Water Filtration System

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Gear and Book Reviews Sawyer Mini Water Filtration System

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This Filter has been mentioned by others previously and at $19.97 in the Sporting Goods section at Walmart I’ve been wanting to check it out for some time.

Previously I have used military iodine tablets or the Katadyn Pocket.

Katadyn was the gold standard for many years, particularly when considering the 13,000 gallon rating, but costing $250 and up.

The Sawyer Mini Water Filtration System is rated at 100,000 gallons and a O.1 micron vice Katadyns 0.2 micron.

Ive used this Sawyer filter several times in the Swamp with no ill effects.

Note: Whether using a Katadyn, Sawyer, or Tablets I prefilter with either a coffee filter or bandanna to minimize particulates.

I will update periodically, but at this point I recommend it.

Great price, easy availability, lightweight, and very small.

Note: Once filter has water in it do not allow it to freeze. The expansion of frozen water can damage filter material and can prevent proper filtering.

Corvette
      Participant

Ive never been able to pull myself away from pure-tabs as a standard go to..I guess cause i know they work. Water got me one time, up here. I thought it was a safe source…Worst sickness I ever had. .

Bergmann

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Ive never been able to pull myself away from pure-tabs as a standard go to..I guess cause i know they work.

For me there is room for both, I’ll always keep some tabs in kit and caches. At these lower prices it’s hard to not have some of these filters put away, will probably be putting these in the rotation for caches too.

Water got me one time, up here. I thought it was a safe source…Worst sickness I ever had. .

The only waterborne sickness I ever got was in a hotel in France, go figure.

Outdoors I always have used tabs and filters.

Corvette
      Participant

Haha.. Paris was filthy every time I went there.

I do have an emergency filter straw I carry in my smock for a situation where there’s no time to stop and do anything but use it..

Bergmann

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Haha.. Paris was filthy every time I went there.

This was in Nimes, lowered an already low opinion. 😉

I do have an emergency filter straw I carry in my smock for a situation where there’s no time to stop and do anything but use it.

This is in the ballpark price and should last considerably longer.

I’ll update as time goes on.

Brian from Georgia
      Participant

I’ve used the Sawyer mini a few times. I haven’t been sick yet!

Roadkill
      Participant

Sawyer .1 or Lifestraw .2 both good.

Max
      Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s response/content. Just a glitch from the transition to subscription.

I just got a Sawyer Mini, haven’t been able to try it out yet. Reassuring to see good reviews!

tango
      Participant

The lifestraw is far less convenient than the Sawyer based on design. I have recommended the Sawyer elsewhere around here. Add another to the list. Have used mine multiple times from multiple sources and never had a problem. It’s also almost exclusively what I’ve seen hikers on the Appalachian Trail use.

Jamison
      Participant

I have a few Sawyer Minis I keep one in each car and one in each kit on my first line. I think how they are set up are a great idea because you can refill the bag and just drink on the go if you need to instead of having to stop at a stream or puddle or whatever. Also at like 4 oz weight, they are super light. Add some water purifying tabs and you are pretty good to go with a P.A.C.E. plan for water.

Brian from Georgia
      Participant

The Lifestraw is good if you are in the mountains with narrow streams and dry, firm banks since you have to lay down to drink. That won’t work where I’m at since our streams are wide and the banks are typically steep or marshy. Another option is to have some sort of water scoop bag to avoid laying down.

The sawyer mini bag is small so it takes a while to scoop, filter and fill a canteen. Still, it’s better than getting your clothes wet.

I also have a Katadyn Vario. It’s a fast pump but has a short 300 gallon lifespan. It’s huge and takes a lot of pack room, so it stays in my truck.

It’s all a tradeoff between price, size, weight, convenience, filter time and life.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The sawyer mini bag is small so it takes a while to scoop, filter and fill a canteen.

Remember that Sawyer makes a variety of accessories, including “bags” up to 64 ounce in a two pack for $9.99. Additionally they have 2 liter and 4 liter options.

Something like Maxpedition’s Rollypolly pouches or backpack could make for an excellent water reservoir carrying tool that collapses when not needed.

Roadkill
      Participant

I do like the Lifestraw water bottle. Just dip the bottle in the water, screw the filter top on and drink. It’s pretty good. Sawyer also makes a water bottle style.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Sawyer also makes a water bottle style.

The Sawyer Mini Water Filtration System will screw onto any standard size water/soda bottle which can fill that role, besides the water bottle version.

D Close

I bought a few of these this week. Simple and well thought out system. The price is right. Excellent find GWNS! Going into all my kits. :good:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

There are dozens of YouTube videos on this that may provide some tricks of the trade on use.

Your really only limited by your imagination.

Some alcohol wipes or a squirt bottle of alcohol/bleach could be useful for surface cleaning water outlet.

trailman
      Participant

I’ll toss this out again. I have a friend in the pharma industry (Also a scoutmaster with me so we look at these kind of things) he knows folks that travel overseas, Africa, south America etc for research and they all use Sawyers. I like that you can fill other items with it easy like a bladder, and if you have to you can rig a gravity feed. I also have a Katydyn Hiker which I like but I’m always afraid I’m going to bust the pump handle on it.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

As a side note they sell a line of “SAWYER POINT ZeroTWO™ BIOLOGICAL & VIRAL WATER PURIFIERS,” they don’t advertise it in the US as it currently isn’t needed here. This mechanically filtered at the 0.02 Micron level which is sufficient to filter viruses.

It is significantly higher priced starting at $139 for the Sawyer Point ZeroTWO™ Bucket Purifier Assembly Kit [SP190] up to $219 for the Sawyer 4 Liter Complete Water Purification System [SP194].

A Sawyer representative says due to the significantly reduced water flow due to the nature of this type and cost, most would be better off using a regular Sawyer filter and allowing Sun (UV) to kill virus through direct sunlight in a bucket after filtering.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Got thinking about this today, so time for longterm update.

I have used the Sawyer Mini filters in a variety of situations from local swamps to my recent trip overseas. They are in my opinion the very best bang for your buck to provide safe drinking water.

👍

Note: The only thing to remember is when working in freezing conditions. The expansion of water when becoming ice can damage the filter material and can prevent proper filtering. The solution in those conditions is to keep filter close to body to keep it above freezing.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.