Review: Leatherman MUT Vs. Wave Comparison

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Gear and Book Reviews Review: Leatherman MUT Vs. Wave Comparison

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      JustARandomGuy
      Participant

MUTWAVESideBySide

Because every loadout needs a multitool.
        So a year ago I started searching for a mutitool to complement my other gear. A lot of folks say if they’re going to carry tools they want real full-size tools. Well, I agree with that sentiment, but carrying a tool box on top of pounds of other “mission essential” gear is just unrealistic. So as limited as they are in capability, a multi-tool is the only really portable thing that gives you at least some chance at fixing small day-to-day problems in the field.
        I did as much research as I could (and being an OCD sonofabitch it was a LOT) on every multitool that I felt fit my needs, and originally settled on the MUT. It was a close tie with the Multitasker, but as the MT is more expensive, and since I wanted something a little more “general purpose” I went with the MUT.

It’s a nice tool, seems well built, but I immediately noticed a number of things that I really hated about it. So it was back to square one, more research, which led to the decision for the Wave, (and a close tie with the Charge), which has most of the same features of the MUT that I liked, but without some of the issues I found with the MUT.

So let’s get an in depth look at some of the pros and cons of each tool;

For brevity sake, and not posting a wall of text here (it was 6.5 pages in Word), you can read the entire thing here:

http://thechickenshavehadenough.blogspot.com/2015/02/review-leatherman-mut-vs-wave-comparison.html

Max
        Keymaster

I always loved my multi tool. I cant tell you how many times I took it onto a plane in Iraq and only used that to make a repair. Would never even open the tool box.

BradyBunch
          Participant

Great review. And so true on the extra tool, the stupid pocket clip (that cant fit over a pocket without shredding it anyway) and the over-the-top-sheath. Nice job. :good:

Corvette
            Participant

Great comprehensive review JARG. :good:

I’ve been very happy with my two Waves (two is one and one is none) that I bought years ago direct from the US as even with shipping they were each half the AUD$150 price that the rip off retailers were asking in Australia.

Never regretted the WAVES purchases as sound bits of kit. They and my decades old Victorinix Camping Swiss Army pocket knife have seen much service. :yes:

Corvette
              Participant

I have both tools , also. My Wave is the shiny version , though.

Nice write up , I agree with pretty much all of your frustrations , the goddamn pocket clip of the MUT has gotten a bit of use from me , if the sheath is mounted on my LBE , and I pull the tool to do a quick chore at home , I’ll use the clip until I put the thing away.

The hook part of the hammer/bottle cap lifter/line cutter part is labeled as a Bolt overide Malf tool. I had that Malf last summers on a range and whipped it out , yanked the bolt rearward and cleared it instantly , without even dropping the mag – but don’t tell Max or Aaron , I don’t want them to holler at me.

My wave broke the locking “stud” off the serrated blade , which I guess they’d fix , but – PIA.

Any multi tool is a compromise. They do nothing as well as a dedicated proper anything. I’m leaning towards carrying a set of fencing cattle mans pliers. At least if I’m gonna wreck something for lack of the right tool I can do it big.

JustARandomGuy
                Participant

Yeah, the “bolt override” feature of the cutter end I could see being handy at some point, and I can imagine potentially snapping a locking stud/lever on the Wave too (if not an entire tool-feature if used… unconventionally… :whistle: ). If I had one other complaint about the Wave it would be that some of it seems a little “light duty” to me.
                  But I guess that comes with reduction in weight…

Corvette
                  Participant

Thanks JARG :good:
                    This is exactly what I had in mind when I created the Gear review Forum :)

JustARandomGuy
                    Participant

Thanks JARG :good:
                      This is exactly what I had in mind when I created the Gear review Forum :)

No prob guys.
                      Since I’m cleaning out the closet, I figured I’d do some review/comparisons while some stuff is on the way out the door.
                      It’s actually kind of a little concept I had in my head that started with the “Budget Gear” thread a while back- kind of a push to “raise the standard” of what folks are running, if you will…..
                      I figured on top of pointing folks in the direction of decent gear, I might as well run through some other items, so people that are on the fence about what they want can get a better idea before shelling out $$.
                      So stay tuned, there’s more to come- the rest are probably going to be more along the lines of a multi-item “shootout” if you will…

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.