Quotes Thread

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Quotes Thread

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

Over the years I have saved a shitload(official measurement) of quotes from different sources.

I am going to use this thread to post some of them. You wont get one everyday, someday you may get more than one.

If I know the original source I will post the name with the quote.

To begin with:

“The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store……stand it like a man, and give some back”

“I start fighting a war, I guarantee you’ll see something new.”
        Captain Mal Reynolds

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

pixelman
        Participant

Great idea, thank you!

Civilianresponder
          Participant

Nice! :good:

RobM
            Participant

Great idea. I appreciate you doing this.

Healthhokie
              Participant

“A sucking chest wound is God’s way of telling you to slow down”

wheelsee
                Participant

1st Rules (with followups) as relayed to a rookie (me)

1st rule in trauma – “all bleeding eventually stops” >> “let it be from what you did versus running out of the red stuff”

1st rule in ED medicine – “all patients lie” >> “go where the evidence leads”

1st rule in medicine – “be quiet and listen doctor, the patient is trying to tell you what’s wrong”

1st rule in rescue – personal “don’t become the victim”, on-scene “try before you pry”

1st rule in firefighting – “put the wet stuff on the red stuff” (for those not familiar, ya gotta get to the seat of the fire, not just the flames)

1st rule on SWAT (on entries) – “clear your f$$$ing corners” (RIP Ron Dean)

First Sergeant

“It’s a bit morbid but if you’re going to Hell, travel first class.
                    If the system means to eat you, make sure it chokes.”

Colonel Kurtz; “We train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders won’t allow them to write FUCK on their airplanes because it’s obscene.”

“Put the boys in, and may God forgive me for the order.” General John C. Breckinridge CSA, (Former VP of the United States) at the Battle of New Market when he sent the cadets from VMI into battle.

FILO
                    Je ne regrette rien
                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

hellokitty
                    Participant

This May be my favorite thread.

Healthhokie
                      Participant

“Nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot”

“A man’s got to know his limitations”

–Dirty Harry

SeanT
                        Keymaster

“Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they’re yours”
                          –Richard David Bach

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  SeanT.
                          gatlinggun
                          Participant

“If all else fails, I will retreat up the valley of Virginia to plant my flag on the Blue Ridge, and rally around the Scotch-Irish of that region, and make my last stand for liberty amongst a people who will never submit to tyranny whilst there is a man left to draw a trigger.” – George Washington (written while at Valley Forge)

First Sergeant

“Anybody that’s ever grunted for more than a minute knows the three best things on the planet are a poncho liner, a dry t shirt and dry socks.”

The old infantry/engineer saying, “Obstacles are only effective when covered by fire.”

“All I need a soldier to do is be able to put a ruck on his back and walk till I say we stop”

FILO
                              Je ne regrette rien
                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

hellokitty
                              Participant

“You might be a firefighter if you had to extricate someone by cutting the car doors off on one side and realized there was nothing wrong with the doors on the other side.”

hellokitty
                                Participant

Forgot this one
                                  “All fires go out eventually.”

wesmc
                                  Participant

“The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store……stand it like a man, and give some back”

First Sergeant

“But by men with the hearts of Vikings, and the simple faith of a child;”
                                      Robert Service

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
                                      H.L. Mencken

“War is no pastime; it is no mere joy in daring and winning, no place for irresponsible enthusiasts. It is a serious means to a serious end.”
                                      Carl von Clausewitz

FILO
                                      Je ne regrette rien
                                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

BradyBunch
                                      Participant

“Mike, we’ll find out exactly what’s wrong with you at the post-mortem. Until then, get the hell out of my office”

My Doctor

Jim Tom
                                        Participant

“Alright Privates! You better chew that corn real good! I don’t want it going waste!” DS Ritter – Ft. Jackson

wheelsee
                                          Participant

The tragedy of modern war is that the young men die fighting each other – instead of their real enemies back home in the capitals.
                                            -Edward Abbey

Any single man must judge for himself whether circumstances warrant obedience or resistance to the commands of the civil magistrate; we are all qualified, entitled, and morally obliged to evaluate the conduct of our rulers. This political judgment, moreover, is not simply or primarily a right, but like self-preservation, a duty to God. As such it is a judgment that men cannot part with according to the God of Nature. It is the first and foremost of our inalienable rights without which we can preserve no other.
                                            – John Locke

First Sergeant

“In Orbe Terrum Non Visi”

“Keiner sieht uns kommen. Keiner weiß, daß wir da sind. Und wenn unsere Mission beendet ist, gibt es keinen Beweis dafür, daß wir jemals da waren.”

FILO
                                              Je ne regrette rien
                                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Andrew
                                              Participant

Non Sibi Sed Patriae — “Not for self, but for country.”

“A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.”
                                                ― Barry Goldwater

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!”
                                                ― Barry Goldwater

To coexist with communism on the same planet is impossible. Either it will spread, cancer-like, to destroy mankind, or else mankind will have to rid itself of communism (and even then face lengthy treatment for secondary tumors).
                                                Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?… The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin’s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If…if…We didn’t love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation…. We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn , The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Andrew
                                                Participant

El que sabe mas, vale mas. He who knows more is worth more.

Hombre preparado, vale por dos. A prepared man is worth two.

First Sergeant

“Infantrymen, however well-trained and well-armed, however resolute, however ready to kill, remain erratic agents of death. Unless centrally directed, they will choose, perhaps badly, their own targets, will open and cease fire individually, will be put off their aim by the enemy’s return fire, will be distracted by the wounding of those near them, will yield to fear or excitement, will fire high, low or wide.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
                                                    – Robert E. Lee

FILO
                                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

gatlinggun
                                                    Participant

I like the quote from Robert E. Lee that First Sergeant posted.

General Lee called it correctly.

First Sergeant

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice.

Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government.

Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?

Ye have no more religion than my horse. Gold is your God. Which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes?
                                                        Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defiled this sacred place, and turned the Lord’s temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices?

Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God’s help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do.

I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place.
                                                        Go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!

Oliver Cromwell’s Rump Parliament Ejection speech London, England
                                                        20 April 1653

FILO
                                                        Je ne regrette rien
                                                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Andrew
                                                        Participant

“One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three is a congress.” John Adams

Viewing 25 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.